Why can't I open my external documents?

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Cannot open external documents

I installed Win10 Pro 64bit on my PC last night. This was an upgrade from Win7 64bit Pro. All went well.

Then this AM I tried to download and open MS Office 2013 documents from the web and from e-mails. Office will not open the files claiming the application cannot open (Powerpoint - error 0xc000022), or the file is corrupt and cannot be opened (Excel) , or "Word experienced an error trying to open the file."

Has anyone else seen this or have a solution?

Thank you

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cannot open external documents

I solved my problem by completely uninstalling Office 2013. Once that was done it was difficult to reinstall... I ended up wiping out all traces of all my Office apps and then reinstalling (about 2hours worth of time as I had to edit the reg file, etc. to get rid of all traces of Office before it would install... (I guess that is another problem that should be addressed elsewhere...).

Anyway, once finally reinstalled I can now open attachments from e-mails and the web.

Simon Reffold

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site

Hi there
Exactly the same issue here. Surely others are experiencing this?
If anyone has a solution other than a complete re-install, I look forward to hearing it. Thanks!

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I saw this today on the MS Community help forum:
--------------------------------------
If you are sure about the source of the files, save them to the local drive, then in File Explorer, right click on the files and select Properties and then click on the Unblock button. Then from within the application (Word or Excel as the case maybe), use File>Open and select the file on the local drive and click on Open.

By "Unblocking" the file, you will be by-passing the Office Protected View with which Microsoft have confirmed there is an issue when running Windows 10 and they are actively working on a fix for it.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
dkr@mvps.org
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------

I have not needed to try this, but others in the thread says it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel