DON'T UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 if you're using Onedrive on Windows 8.1 !!!

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
As the title said! If you're using Onedrive on windows 8.1, then DON'T UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10!

Here's the reason: Microsoft are downgrade their Onedrive to the version that are using on windows 7!
You will no longer be able to access any online file on your windows 8.1 computer! The "online only" mode are gone!
(But It's fine if you're using windows 7 and want to upgrade to windows 10)

My Onedrive are up to 40GB of 400GB data, but my offline files on my Surface Pro 2 are only 8GB due to low ssd storage. I can access any file I want and then turn it to "online only" to free up space. But after upgraded to windows 10, All my online files are gone on windows 10! I can't access my online file anymore unless I go to onedrive.com and download it! It's f*ck me up so bad!

Lucky it's not hard to roll back to windows 8.1, it only cost me 5 minutes... Is there anyone who have to rollback because of this problem too?

P/s: if anyone in Windows Central staff read this, can you guys make an article about this to warn orther people please?
No one warned me about this and it cost me 2 hours to update to windows 10 and just have to rollback after that.

Neil Gascoyne

May 31, 2015
Visit site
This is incorrect, it's fair to say that unlike in Win8.1, you can't list all of OneDrive and the then select certain folders/files to synch for off-line use. Those you choose to synch are the only folders or files listed in File Explorer. As uxWare states you can still map OneDrive as a network drive but that's a bit flakey in my experience. It's a backward step in the use of OneDrive and maybe it's part of MS plan to bring OneDrive for home use and OneDrive for Business together later this year.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Interesting suggestion about the network drive. I'll give it a go. Regarding the current experience with OneDrive, Microsoft is aware that the current experience is not the best. They reverted back to windows 7 behavior because a lot of applications had problem with windows 8 behavior and they needed to consolidate services. Upgraded OneDrive experience is coming. So stay tuned. Probably it will come this year as there has been a lot of feedback from the insiders on this one and Microsoft said they are working on it.

TortugaOnline

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, very sad to see that. I didn't know it either. I upgraded a desktop PC I fairly use and noticed the change in OneDrive.
I'll leave it that way but I won't update my SP3 nor my Dell VP8 which I use everyday. I have limited space on those devices, so OneDrive came in very handy.

There are many things I like in Windows 10, some things that have to be improved. But the missing placeholders are definitely a deal breaker for me. I need those files for work but can't download them all on my SP3. Hence I can't update till they fix it.

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
P/s: if anyone in Windows Central staff read this, can you guys make an article about this to warn orther people please?
No one warned me about this and it cost me 2 hours to update to windows 10 and just have to rollback after that.

It was already beaten to death during the preview (on this site even). They're going to improve this by years end they've said.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Please go and upvote requests (and create new ones if they are not available) in the windows feedback app. Microsoft actually has a good system for listening to the feedback there.

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! Didn't realize it disappeared. Don't need it on my laptop, but my 32 GB tablet would suffer... Think I'll just make one folder where I can put the stuff I really need in.

Larry Amato

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Not true about windows10 not updating from 8.1...The upgrade went without issue on one of my laptops running 8.1.
My other laptop has 7sp1 and it shows that one drive might be a problem with that.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm not happy about this either, but (and I need to check this myself on my SP3 running windows 10), 1) if you want a file on the PC Only and not on OneDrive, put it in the c:/ directory, 2) If you want it on BOTH, put it in the OneDrive directory and select sync this folder, 3) if you want it on OneDrive and not on the PC, put it in OneDrive and select do not sync. . . . Or no?

Caleb Tivendale

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
You can still select the folders you want to sync, although if you just blindly click through the set up you'll end up downloading every folder. It has the same functionality as if folders are online only as you had to download the file to do anything with it anyway. If you require only certain folders on your tablet or laptop make sure you select only those folders when doing the set up. If you want to add/remove folders to the ones synced right click on the OneDrive icon in the system tray, go to settings then hit the Choose folders tab.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The address is
https://d.docs.live.net/<id>
where <id> is something you need to look up. The following is one of the ways to look up the ID.

1. Open up the OneDrive folder on your computer
2. Right-click a file and click Share a OneDrive link
3. Paste the link into your favorite editor. It should look like:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=<id>!<values>&authkey=<key>&<extra>
Copy from "resid=" to the "!".
Btw, the ID is hexadecimal which means it only contains numbers and A-F.

Mapping the drive
1. Right-click on This PC and select Map network drive
2. Click on Connect to a Web site...
3. Next, Next
4. Enter the address
https://d.docs.live.net/<id>
where <id> is the value your found above.
5. Enjoy!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I complained about this from the first Windows 10 preview. Clearly a big step backwards for anyone with limited drive space. Even those with a lot of disk space, the WHOLE point of OneDrive is cloud based storage, not to be a duplicate of my PC's files. Seems someone forgot that early on...

Oh, and you cannot add multiple accounts any more.

So, yes, OneDrive is worthless in W10.

kobe_mvp

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I like this more than the OneDrive in 8.1, this is also why I downgrade to windows 7, I am glad to hear this, so I can upgrade to windows 10 now now that my main concern is gone, yay!

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I like this more than the OneDrive in 8.1, this is also why I downgrade to windows 7, I am glad to hear this, so I can upgrade to windows 10 now now that my main concern is gone, yay!

I don't understand this mentality, It wasn't confusing the way it was. What about it is better now?

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
My biggest frustration with OneDrive on Windows 10 is it suddenly doesn't allow OneDrive folder on the SDXC card. I've been using my SDXC card as the OneDrive folder ever since I got my SP3, as most of the files are documents, photos and videos.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Placeholders have gone away with Windows 10 (coming back / to be replaced at later date) ... as usual Microsoft takes one step forward and two backwards with some of the decisions that they make. As the saying goes, Logic & Microsoft often cannot be used in the same sentence lol.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Paul Thurrott has been telling us this for months:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/heres-where-new-onedrive-strategy-falls-apart

There are workarounds:
https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/micr...our-cloud-storage-as-a-drive-in-file-explorer

No, this isn't ideal, but it isn't worth getting all upset about. Hopefully they will fix it. Go to the feedback app and put in your feedback. Be sure to find another piece of feedback that has the same complaint and vote for it, rather than start another one. That way there is an item with a higher vote count. The one I voted for currently has 67 votes, and reads like this:
Please bring back the placeholder feature in OneDrive. Being able to see all of your files stored in OneDrive regardless of whether they were actually downloaded on your device / system was the best feature of OneDrive. Without this functionality, my inclination to continue to use OneDrive is rather low.

Additionally, before you vote, you can add feedback. Feedback I added was that while I see that this could be a good idea for devices like small tablets with little storage, it is important to those of us who use OneDrive extensively, so it should be optional. Add an option for OneDrive to either work as it does now, or work as it does in Windows 8.1.

Something like that will get you a lot closer to a real solution than using foul language in a forum that Microsoft isn't reading.

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I can't install the new version of OneDrive. When I tried to open Onedrive it downloaded the new version and won't let me install it unless I uninstall the old one. Than going to the program uninstall page Onedrive is not listed. I can't access my offline/local files that I saved and I'm taking up 50GB of my hard drive that I don't want to. I only used it once to save movies before Windows 10 upgrade and I kept all my local movies anyway. So I'm at a loss on what to do. Any help is appreciated

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3