How to get the product key for windows 10?

Aashish13

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I have downloaded iso file on my flash drive. Now while running the ISO file it's asking me for product key? Can anyone guide me where I would get the product key? I have windows 8.1 laptop and my windows is genuine

For product key do I have to enter my windows 8.1 product key when I had bought my laptop or is it any other way to figure out the product key!!!!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If you've upgraded from a genuine copy of Windows, a product key will automatically be generated for Windows 10 during the upgrade. You may try using the official product key that came with your Operating System and laptop. With this, there is no other legal way of obtaining a product key.

Update: Read on below - a5cent has provided clarifications on the matter in post #5 and #7.

Last edited:

Aashish13

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
If you've upgraded from a genuine copy of Windows, a product key will automatically be generated for Windows 10 during the upgrade. You may try using the official product key that came with your Operating System and laptop. With this, there is no other legal way of obtaining a product key.

Thanks for,helping but its not working my product key start with 0 but when I enter 0 then it shows its an invalid character.

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I checked for my product key yesterday and it turns out to be a generic RTM product key... Does anyone know how come this happens?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys I have downloaded iso file on my flash drive. Now while running the ISO file it's asking me for product key? Can anyone guide me where I would get the product key? I have windows 8.1 laptop and my windows is genuine

For product key do I have to enter my windows 8.1 product key when I had bought my laptop or is it any other way to figure out the product key!!!!

You don't need a key. What you need to do is to mount the ISO while running W8.1 and run setup.exe. You won't be asked for a key.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

The key that came with his system has zero chance of working, because it is NOT a W10 key. It's impossible to activate W10 with anything but a W10 key.

We must also be very specific about what is meant by "upgrade". A clean-install, as applied by the OP, is also an upgrade. What you are describing is only true of an in-place upgrade however!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The key that came with his system has zero chance of working, because it is NOT a W10 key. It's impossible to activate W10 with anything but a W10 key.

We must also be very specific about what is meant by "upgrade". A clean-install, as applied by the OP, is also an upgrade. What you are describing is only true of an in-place upgrade however!

I stand corrected, my friend. :cool:

Nemo58

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
If you have an activated W8.1, then download the tool (again) from Microsoft website. Double click that file and then choose the option Upgrade this PC. Wait till all the installation is finished and I'm sure that your W10 will be activated. If you choose the other way, you will be asked for the key.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Can't I skip the step involving entering a key? What about Win Insider's key, will it work? I downloading Win 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3