Start menu and modern apps are not working. No one is helping me 😢

prasanth deva kiran

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 worked well for 2 days but suddenly my dell laptop screen stuttered. I restarted and found that start menu is unresponsive. All the modern apps are not working. Only desktop apps are working. Wasted so much time to fix this problem but I couldn't. 😏. Losing faith in Microsoft.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
try to keep faith by keeping your thread at the top.
even if you have to talk to yourself....eventually someone will come up with an answer for you.
You could try settings>recovery>reset this pc

Hikmat dag

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem, before the last update which I've applied few minutes ago, the icons in the notifications area did not respond to the left mouse click, but they did respond to right mouse click.
After applying the the last update, the start menu joined them in being unresponsive to left click, only to right mouse click.

Monsieur Fudge

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
i seem to be having the same problem, all my icons at the lower right side (except the language input thing) as well as the windows icon at the lower right side are unresponsive unless clicked with the right mouse button, hope someone knows how to solve this :/

Hikmat dag

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I finally solved the issue with steps I found in some page, I couldn't paste the link here because this forum doesn't allow newbies with less than 10 posts to post links.. so I'll just paste the steps here.

1.Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator

Method 1:
a.Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard
b.Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.
c.Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.

Method 2:
a.Right click Start button
b.Choose Command prompt (Admin)
c.Key in Powershell in the black window and hit Enter.

2.Paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3.Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
4.When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working. If not, this solution won’t apply to you, unfortunately.

source : wwwDOTtechmestoDOTcom

Shatznr

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I ask because I am having the same issue...everything was working and now most of my modern UI apps will not launch.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I finally solved the issue with steps I found in some page, I couldn't paste the link here because this forum doesn't allow newbies with less than 10 posts to post links.. so I'll just paste the steps here.

1.Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator

Method 1:
a.Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard
b.Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.
c.Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.

Method 2:
a.Right click Start button
b.Choose Command prompt (Admin)
c.Key in Powershell in the black window and hit Enter.

2.Paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3.Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
4.When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working. If not, this solution won’t apply to you, unfortunately.

source : wwwDOTtechmestoDOTcom

So this PowerShell script is disabling developer mode for the windows store apps?

Hikmat dag

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I actually have no idea what this code is doing, I just shoved it into the my powershell and it solved the problem. It remains solved so far.

A restart did not solve the issue on my computer.

I had to do this powershell thing twice, in the first time it fixed the start menu and the notification area..then the search button stopped responding so I did it again and now all are functional.

Udonitron

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me, the powershell command does nothing.
Just after making a post on G+ about how MS is killing the info on updates I came upstairs to find my PC with a black screen, unresponsive so I had to hard reset it and sure enough it finished Windows updates only to reboot while it was finishing up.
Now my Note, One Drive, etc keep crashing and I have a dead Start and Notification menu.
I said screw it to this "ad based OS" and went to do a roll back and well...I cannot do that because in MS's infinite wisdom they allowed their media creation tool to overwrite your much needed BT folder thus eliminating the ability to revert...bravo MS!!!
I loathe where MS is going now and want nothing to do with 10 anymore. :angry:

EDIT:

Actually...the only thing that works with a left click on my task bar is task view and show hidden icons.
Start, search, networks, volume, and notifications are unresponsive however I can right click on them.
When I try to do a refresh and keep my files it tells me everything needs to be reinstalled so what is the point.
This blows...

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Same situation, I found out that booting into Safe Mode make it works but when I restart back to normal mode Start menu is dead again. :|

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon