Next time you have a BSOD

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I'm not a expert on this subject, but I do know a little about BSOD, and I would like to share my knowledge Hi! Next time you have a BSOD.

Hi! Next time you have a BSOD, you might give this freeware program a shot. It has helped me find a problem before. If it helps you, I would like to hear from you!

Download WhoCrashed Free Home Edition - MajorGeeks

Here's some things to check next time you BSOD!

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Drivers are the #1 reason for BSOD. The first driver I would update is the graphics driver!

Here's a good place to down load your graphics drivers. They can detect if you have the latest driver. You can also search your make and model for the latest update! If you post your make and model, someone here might help you find the driver! If you're not having a problem, don't fix what ain't broke.LOL

Download NVIDIA Graphics Drivers
Download AMD Graphics Drivers
Download Intel Graphics Drivers

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I suggest you run these in the command prompt!

Hi! Run a sfc /scannow .Here's how! Also run a chkdsk /r If you are still having BSOD. You can run Driver versifier!

Please run these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all this helpful information! ��
My pleasure! I want to add more latter! I tried to add some things last night, but got a pop up saying it looked like spam, so will figure out how to add it latter.
Thanks for all you do here! This is a great forum and you are appreciated!:wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Here's a great Windows tool and I seldom see anyone using it! It's called Reliability Monitor.
When it comes to hidden gems in Windows, nothing beats the Reliability monitor tool, hidden behind a link inside of another tool that you don’t use either. Why Microsoft doesn’t shine more light on this really useful troubleshooting tool, we’ll never know.

Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch.

Here's a link that will help you understand this Windows tool; IMHO the more you use it, the more you'll learn how it works!
Reliability Monitor is the Best Windows Troubleshooting Tool You Aren?t Using
To me, it's like having the event viewer in a graft, and much easier to use. I check mine every day to monitor my PC performance!:wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! BSOD can also be be caused by hardware. You need to check your hard drive and Ram. There are lots of good free programs on the web.
You can use Windows built in tools. They aren't as good but they work well. W10 has made some big improvements in this area. You might want to check them out!:wink:
chkdsk= Drive Error Checking in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
Memory Diagnostic!= Type Memory Diagnostic in your search Orb

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 5

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Heat is a big enemy for a computer. They are designed to shut down and may give you a BSOD. Laptops are especially bad. Check your temps with a free program like CPUID. Make sure your fan is running and clean all the crude out at least twice a year, or when ever you see your PC getting hotter then normal. I run a old Toshiba and I've never had a heat problem, which is very unusual for a laptop I know they call them a laptop, but IMHO you should always run them on a hard surface. If you have pets, your computer will suck up all that pet hair. So if you have pets,you may have to clean your PC more often.:wink: Laptops are a little harder to clean but I found a excellent video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4sumDY5mhI
I like Speecy I use the free version! I'm a cheap skate!:wink: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...riform.com%2Fspeccy%2Fdownload&token=m4Wagoxx. Every thing is showing green, so I think I'm doing good!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 5

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I'm sure this is off topic and probably frowned on, I promise not to make a habit of this!
I want to thank @Laura Knotek for your support here on the forum and for all your likes you have given me. I want to thank you for all you do here and let every one that's reads this thread; know that your are very much appreciated for all you do here. I could have done this with a PM, but it wouldn't let me send these.:wink:
Thank you Laura!
PS This will probably start some rumors! LOL

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 34

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Malware can play a big part in BSOD, so here's what I suggest to run. If you still have malware after running these, it's time for a fresh install.:wink:
There are a lot of great programs you can run. Here are my favorites. When I cleaning a PC I run these in this order! If anyone here has different favorite, please post it.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
Download AdwCleaner 6.021 - FileHippo.com
https://www.malwarebytes.com/junkwareremovaltool/
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...int%2Fhome%2Fonline-scanner%2F&token=OFgEvnL-
Here's some telltale signs that you might be infected!:wink:
Does your computer have malware? Here are the telltale signs | PCWorld

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm not a expert on this subject, but I do know a little about BSOD, and I would like to share my knowledge Hi! Next time you have a BSOD.

Hi! Next time you have a BSOD, you might give this freeware program a shot. It has helped me find a problem before. If it helps you, I would like to hear from you!

Download WhoCrashed Free Home Edition - MajorGeeks

Here's some things to check next time you BSOD!

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Another great tip, thanks!

Cheers

Andrea Lonardi

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
It is unfortunate that this software analyzes only dumps when the operating system goes to BSOD during normal operation, not during the installation of updates as the photo below
WP_20170110_16_11_30_Pro.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes