Help - can't get past log in screen?

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi, have managed to install the preview on my dell.

What I have now is the nice clock screen, I press a button and it switches to a blue screen, at bottom left is the ease of access and the wifi, at bottom right is language and power. In the centre is a dell icon, and that's it.

I assume that dell icon is meant to do something, I does not, I click it, it jerks a little and that's it, I have tried dragging it, it does not move, right clicks left clicks, the return button, all it does is jerk a bit and then nothing else happens.

Any advice, or am I missing something very obvious, I can't find any way to get to the main desktop, tired the windows button too, it does nothing as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Looks or sounds like you are stuck on the start screen to log in to the Desktop. Would you be able to post a screen shot. Generally speaking like in Win 8 Win 8.1 and on TP that I have I can click or tap any where on the screen which will bring up the password box to log in. ( MS account log in) as I believe they dont have local access option.

When you restart you should have the 3 options on the main screen one for windows technical preview one for rollback and one for the Previous OS that you have had on PC before getting the tech preview.
See if you can get into the previous install or if not get into the MS website to provide feedback. Maybe it is a bug with the OEM drivers.
Cheers

P.S If you had 8.1 previously installed what did you have to do to get into the desktop after your clock screen. It should be the same with the Tech Preview

Last edited:

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Looks or sounds like you are stuck on the start screen to log in to the Desktop. Would you be able to post a screen shot. Generally speaking like in Win 8 Win 8.1 and on TP that I have I can click or tap any where on the screen which will bring up the password box to log in. ( MS account log in) as I believe they dont have local access option.

When you restart you should have the 3 options on the main screen one for windows technical preview one for rollback and one for the Previous OS that you have had on PC before getting the tech preview.
See if you can get into the previous install or if not get into the MS website to provide feedback. Maybe it is a bug with the OEM drivers.
Cheers

P.S If you had 8.1 previously installed what did you have to do to get into the desktop after your clock screen. It should be the same with the Tech Preview

Hi there, had 7 on the laptop before this, can't seem to get it to do anything sadly. Here is the screen shot - which has uploaded upside down! image.jpg

Last edited:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I would advice you roll back to win 7 as this is a preview version it may not be meant for your Config ATM. If you hit the power button on screen you should be able to restart when it does you will get a blue screen which will show the rollback option. Incase you have removed the windows.old which I doubt as you cant log in I would say it would be fairly simple to rollback. If it gives you an error like missing files then use your recovery disk that was supplied with your Dell. Cheers

TymbrWulf

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
My girlfriend is having a similar problem. She wen't from 8.1 to 10, and now it won't accept her password. She's reset it through account.live.com/password/reset and it still will not accept either the old password or the new. I can't find a system restore option in either the setup or the boot menus. Please help.

sellj67

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Were you able to get past this issue? I am having the same problem. 10 didn't recognize the password i have always used, changed it in the same manner, and now it doesn't recognize the new password, or the old.

SloJoCrow

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem: I installed Windows 10 on my desktop...no problems. However, when I installed W10 on my Lenovo laptop, it wouldn't accept my password or pin, and kept instructing me to go to account.live to change my password. I did that and STILL it wouldn't allow me to sign in...kept saying stuff like " you are offline".

Called Microsoft computer support...they were on a 1 1/2 hour wait time, they called back over 4 hours later: Here is the fix, and it worked for me:

1. Hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on RESTART from the power option on the bottom right corner of screen.
2. Menus should pop up for System Restore options .... go to ADVANCED options.
3. Go to SEE MORE RECOVERY OPTIONS until you see this and ONLY THIS: Restore Previous Build .... click on that.
4. Make sure your device is plugged in and mine took over 3 hours...kept saying "RESTARTING" with the circle spinning dots
5. Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back....Hey Mr. Kotter!!!! You should be back to 8.1 or whatever....
6. I went ahead and installed W10 again a second time with NO ISSUES....YAY !! Life is good again!

Hope this helps you and have a great day!

:excited:

Curtis Hills

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
The shift button allowed me to get to the advanced options, however, when I select any of them, it asks me to select an account (same MS one available) and requires password. Still doesn't work. Verified it is on US keyboard.

Help, please!!!

giovanni sidari

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
By restore do you mean where you were previous to installing Windows 10?
Or wiping the computer clean and restoring to the factory ?
Thanks in advance.

Nttecsvy

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Tried SloJoCrow,s fix. Got to blue screen with swirling white dots,been there almost 24 hours. Did I just put my computer in blue screen heaven? What can I do now, any suggestions?

kerrdk

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. Worked on laptop and desktop yesterday morning, but sometime yesterday the desktop will do the non-ending:cry: circle and will not let me past the login screen. Nothing changed but this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte