Tiles show plain color (no icon or animation) on start menu

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I am runnin W10 Insider Preview 14372 (slow ring).
After some time working with the computer (note: 8GB RAM) and a few sleep/wake up, it happens that my start menu stops displaying the icon on the tiles (or animations? and only show plain colors for the tiles as shown in the snapshots (normal / issue) below.
Anyone an idea?
tiles-01.pngtiles-02.png

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am runnin W10 Insider Preview 14372 (slow ring).
After some time working with the computer (note: 8GB RAM) and a few sleep/wake up, it happens that my start menu stops displaying the icon on the tiles (or animations? and only show plain colors for the tiles as shown in the snapshots (normal / issue) below.
Anyone an idea?
View attachment 128398View attachment 128399

i think that's an issue with that build as I saw somene with a similar issue where icon images are gone

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Ok then (although I think this is already the case for a few releases) -
Do you have any reference to the post of this(these) other user(s) - would help?

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I'll have to search - there are hundreds of posts per day...:grincry:
I appreciate that and be sure I searched for such posts already before posting here.
On the other end, having seen somebody having posted something about that is not helping me much.
Thanks anyway.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue a few builds ago --- it's possible you have the build where that is an issue. I know this is no longer an issue for me on the latest Fast Ring build.

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Got it again with 1438x now just upgraded to 14393 - Will post if it occurs again or if not within a few days.

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Got it again with 1438x now just upgraded to 14393 - Will post if it occurs again or if not within a few days.
Damned - got it again with 14393 - the problem is definitely not solved with these new releases.
Am I the only one getting this?

Edit: just found a workaround - switch from and back tablet mode (or opposite) - tiles are back again :)

Jon Barros

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
It happened to me when i would download an app and have it save to my second hard drive instead of the c: drive i would get the blank tile. I unistalled the app and reinstalled it to the c: drive and it worked perfectly. If i moved it back to the second drive it would go blank again. It might be worth a look to see if your saving to the c: drive in the storage settings.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
It happened to me when i would download an app and have it save to my second hard drive instead of the c: drive i would get the blank tile. I unistalled the app and reinstalled it to the c: drive and it worked perfectly. If i moved it back to the second drive it would go blank again. It might be worth a look to see if your saving to the c: drive in the storage settings.
I have only one drive (C:), and settings are set to save everything on it but documents and pictures.
Note also that the problem is not permanent, the tiles' decoration/animation are shown at boot time but after some time of use, randomly (I could not find so far any correlation with a particular activity), tiles may loose their decoration/animation and show only monochrome.
As indicated, when this happened, I have now found that switching tablet mode off and back on (I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3) is restoring tiles' decoration/animation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa