Adblock for Windows 10 mobile

ACoronado

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Easy Tutorial to setup a system-wide adblocker for Windows 10 mobile using PAC files:

How to enable it:

1. Go to Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi
  2. Click on the current Wi-Fi connection
  3. In the Proxy submenu choose "Use setup script". Be sure that "Sign into proxy" is off.
  4. In the Script address put the following address: http://wl.is/xL3q8c.js
  5. Press ready (the check mark)

In order to disable it (in case that any website, like Forbes, demands it):

• Go to Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi
  • Click on the current Wi-Fi connection
  • In the Proxy submenu choose "None"
  • Press OK (the check mark)

Instructions valid for Windows 10 mobile anniversary update (Redstone 2 users should use WiFi legacy menu)

How does it work and it is safe?

A PAC script defines how you connect with the Internet. This PAC was obtained from the iOS app Weblock. With this PAC any attempt to connect to an AdServer is blocked (automatically routed through a dummy proxy server from Google, IP 8.8.8.8 port 53, which is fast, stable, accepts connections but is not able to handle HTTP nor HTTPS) so no ad is shown. The dummy proxy server was implemented because iOS doesn't allow adding a localhost, but you can modify as you please.
The file itself is safe and very efficient (only 16kb), and can block like 95% of ads on the web (except Facebook, Google, and YouTube ads because their implementation is harder to block). However, configuring a PAC file into your smartphone can be dangerous. If the PAC file is malicious (is not) or if it were modified by a hacker, the attacker could send parts or all of your web traffic through a proxy of his/her choice. But I think that we are pretty safe right now. I am using it with notable results.

Disadvantages

• It should be configured once for every Wi-Fi connection you would like to block ads
  • For now, it doesn't work on celullar data (where it would be more useful)
  • And, it also blocks the in-app ads, hurting the few W10m developers out there (so buy instead!)

So, if you like, you can review the file, edit it as you please, and host it in a server of your trust.

We have had a discussion over reddit, where I posted this before. You can check it for Mirror URL's and more info.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You seem to indicate that it is best (safest) for me to host the xL3q8c.js file for myself...

I don't have a Home Server. Is there a way for me to host it out of my cloud storage?

ACoronado

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If Redstone 2 for W10m has a new WiFi menu similar to the one on the desktop version, it should also bring the detached proxy menu where you could configure this method. With this, we will be able to use it with wired connections and, possibly, with cellular data.

Last edited:

ACoronado

May 29, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, no cloud storage allows to hotlink a file, at least not Onedrive nor Dropbox (some people hace suggested GitHub, I haven't tried it yet). The main concern here is that we are using a third party server that could be hacked and use the PAC to harm us. However, I think that we are safe. In reddit some people have offered some mirror URL like the folks of the spanish website microsoftinsider.es if you like to try them.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for this post! I would like to add that it's also possible to get an Adblocker on your phone but switching the hosts file with a modified one (you have to enable full filesystem access to do this)

mehtanilay10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
For me it does not work!

Easy Tutorial to setup a system-wide adblocker for Windows 10 mobile using PAC files:

How to enable it:

1. Go to Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi
  2. Click on the current Wi-Fi connection
  3. In the Proxy submenu choose "Use setup script". Be sure that "Sign into proxy" is off.
  4. In the Script address put the following address: http://wl.is/xL3q8c.js
  5. Press ready (the check mark)

In order to disable it (in case that any website, like Forbes, demands it):

• Go to Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi
  • Click on the current Wi-Fi connection
  • In the Proxy submenu choose "None"
  • Press OK (the check mark)

Instructions valid for Windows 10 mobile anniversary update (Redstone 2 users should use WiFi legacy menu)

How does it work and it is safe?

A PAC script defines how you connect with the Internet. This PAC was obtained from the iOS app Weblock. With this PAC any attempt to connect to an AdServer is blocked (automatically routed through a dummy proxy server from Google, IP 8.8.8.8 port 53, which is fast, stable, accepts connections but is not able to handle HTTP nor HTTPS) so no ad is shown. The dummy proxy server was implemented because iOS doesn't allow adding a localhost, but you can modify as you please.
The file itself is safe and very efficient (only 16kb), and can block like 95% of ads on the web (except Facebook, Google, and YouTube ads because their implementation is harder to block). However, configuring a PAC file into your smartphone can be dangerous. If the PAC file is malicious (is not) or if it were modified by a hacker, the attacker could send parts or all of your web traffic through a proxy of his/her choice. But I think that we are pretty safe right now. I am using it with notable results.

Disadvantages

• It should be configured once for every Wi-Fi connection you would like to block ads
  • For now, it doesn't work on celullar data (where it would be more useful)
  • And, it also blocks the in-app ads, hurting the few W10m developers out there (so buy instead!)

So, if you like, you can review the file, edit it as you please, and host it in a server of your trust.

We have had a discussion over reddit, where I posted this before. You can check it for Mirror URL's and more info.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
When I try this, the check mark/ tick cannot be selected and is greyed out. Any ideas?

Edit: never mind, I've found out you have to untick Connect Automatically, then it works and blocks normal adverts. Sadly this method doesn't block the adverts from Revcontent and Taboola, which are the most offensive of all.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39