Is W10M insider preview stable enough for use as a daily driver?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: windows 10 mobile

Depends on what you call stable.

Does it crash constantly?
-No.
Does it work flawlessly?
-No.

I'd suggest eather reading a few threads on this forum (there are a lot of them that could provide you the answer), or just go for it since it's not too dangerous (don't forget to back-up your data first). You can always revert back to 8.1 if you don't like it, I did the same.
I currently am still on 8.1 which is weird since I like to be on the bleeding edge of tech. But I just don't find Win10 worth the trouble right now, and I'm enjoying the stability of 8.1.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

I would say "yes". It is very stable indeed (at least in my experience), and all the major features are in place. It is unpolished and incomplete, yes, but it is certainly good enough for me to use as my daily driver.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I have tried the last few builds and although they are improving, I wouldn't recommend as a daily driver. Main reasons are general slowness creeps in after a using for maybe a week and battery life is like half what I get with WP8.1. I'm using on a secondary L625, which runs smooth and has a great battery life on 8.1.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I took the gamble and put it on my 1520, I hate the words "Daily driver" but I suppose by how the rest of you use the phrase then it is, as apart from my crappy Android work phone (And I only use that for work emails and to track our cars) my 1520 is my only phone.

I can only go be my own experience but I am more than happy and as long as a hard reset is done, it appears very stable.

Having just read the latest about what phones get "Official" upgrades I would put my wife's 830 through it this evening, but my wife doesn't cope to well with change so it's probably best I wait until the equivalent of the RTM build, but only so she doesn't get pissed off with me saying "Update time".

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

Considering installing windows 10 on my 1020 but have a few concerns about stability etc. How likely is it to cause any damage to my phone? Any 1020 users installed it and if so , how is it working so far???

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Considering installing windows 10 on my 1020 but have a few concerns about stability etc. How likely is it to cause any damage to my phone? Any 1020 users installed it and if so , how is it working so far???

It's most probably not going to cause any damage. I'm thinking about installing it on my 1520 as well but a few things are holding me back.
First, I don't want to waste 2 hours of my life (again) trying to get my phone to work as it should.
Second, I will lose lots of apps (some that you can never again get, like Photosynth), and app data.
Third, I think updates are going to be more frequent now, so I don't feel like going trought the whole trouble all over again every few weeks.
Restoring data is just a pain. I have so much stuff, it takes forever.
And it probably even isn't worth it for now, lots of apps won't work the way they should, some apps won't even be available (Teamviewer for example), and I may just forget about them when they get available.

ArrowQueen

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Is current build of windows 10 mobile stable enough to be used as a daily driver.

I'm using it (build 10512) as a daily driver on my 925. It can be used as a daily driver, yes. You can get things done. But batterie isn't good, apps crash and there are a lot of loading screens.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Yes it's the first time I could keep it. However you need to factory reset it after the upgrade to use it to the maximum.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok now after using my Camera on the phone I can say it's pain in the *** on my 830. Of course it works, yet it happens that the camera will crash when you need it.

alexuio

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Camera does have issues and video playback is not working. Is that an issue on build 512 or does it depend on the phone? I have a 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99