Bye W10, hello WP8.1!

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Bailed out today with my 1020.
Couldn't stand the crashes, epic slowness and that damn constant loading/resuming screen.
On top of that the battery time was awful and the camera pretty much useless.

Used Windows Device Recovery Tool (3.0.1) which took me back to Lumia Black (W8) thank you very much!?

After 1 gazillion updates and store downloads I'm on my way back to a working phone again with WP8.1 Cyan (and finally Denim).
The device backups was not found on Onedrive for some reason, not even the old WP8.1 ones!?
They can be seen in the web gui but not from the phone...

No hard feelings though, it's a preview, but boy have Microsoft things to fix before this thing flies.

See ya later...

Last edited:

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
you waited this long whats another day or two. they did caution about using it on the daily driver. i agree its got some problems but it pretty much still works as a phone

razor1973

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
you waited this long whats another day or two. they did caution about using it on the daily driver. i agree its got some problems but it pretty much still works as a phone
Nobody buys a smartphone to have it just work "as a phone", especially nobody that frequents forums like this one. But I do agree with you on waiting a day or two longer for a more stable build. I would have.

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

This IS my main phone, my daily driver and NO it does NOT even work as a phone with this build.
Yesterday I ended up not being able to make a very important phone call as the phone crashed and rebooted.
The startup time after a reboot with this preview build was so slow that it took me almost 10 minutes before I could make that call.
It was not this single incident that made me revert back but it was the thing that pushed me over the edge. Heck, it can't even make a phone call!?
I don't care if there is a new build tomorrow or even today. I can't imagine it will be so much better that I would like to use it.

Being back on WP8.1 Denim feels great actually. Things just work and the phone is quick and responsive as it should be.
I will jump on the W10 wagon as soon as the RTM comes out but not before.

So why you need to defend Microsoft is beyond me, I made no harsh comments?
I knew it was a preview and I knew it might be bad which it was...
As I stated in my original post "No hard feelings..."
My post was just to inform other 1020 owners that if they experience problems they are not alone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Let's keep calm here. Some of you might not have any problems, but others might have problems.

The OP has a legitimate concern, and he/she posting might help other people avoid problems.[/WARN]

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's all so random. For some it works fine for others the experience is awful. I also noticed that even if W10M runs fine on a phone it tends to degenerate over time and I need to turn the phone off and on again. If I update an app, let's say Store or Photos, it loses its tile settings. Lots of things that don't work the way they should. I have no idea how they want to clean up this mess, because right now wherever I look there's some issue. Let's say Messaging app was working fine, now after the update with integrated Skype messaging, the tile was empty with no picture, I had to re-pin it. It does not show notifications, again. They should be entering a phase when bugs become rarer. It's still one big construction site and they still have a problem to put together a build that will pass as a preview build.

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I had the same experience that the phone gradually deteriorated.
It almost felt like the file system or something got messed up as it took longer and longer to boot.
And the time from it had booted up until it was usable at all also got worse with time.

joshua hildebrandt1

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
This IS my main phone, my daily driver and NO it does NOT even work as a phone with this build.
Yesterday I ended up not being able to make a very important phone call as the phone crashed and rebooted.
The startup time after a reboot with this preview build was so slow that it took me almost 10 minutes before I could make that call.
It was not this single incident that made me revert back but it was the thing that pushed me over the edge. Heck, it can't even make a phone call!?
I don't care if there is a new build tomorrow or even today. I can't imagine it will be so much better that I would like to use it.

Being back on WP8.1 Denim feels great actually. Things just work and the phone is quick and responsive as it should be.

My post was just to inform other 1020 owners that if they experience problems they are not alone.
This...i had to take a picture of a document for getting approved for a house and the camera kept crashing.... Maps kept lodging GPS when I was driving downtown and can't even count the number of reboots which seemed to drain the battery like crazy.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm tempted to roll back to 8.1 as well BUT there's something about that W10M GUI that makes me wanna stick with it. Besides, out of pure laziness I don't really want to re-download/install apps and other backups.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I doubt if I even will update to W10. IMHO 1020 is not designed for W10 for that matter it is not even designed to be a really good "camera" phone for the time that it takes. I have tried the W10 preview and didn't like it on the 1020 but I am sure I will like it on the 950XL and if not wait for the next intel phones. It depends. For now 8.1 on 1020 will do me. TY MS for an eye opener

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was holding out for a new build but just couldn't stand it anymore and downgraded(upgraded) back to 8.1. It's only 15 minutes out of my day to restore to 8.1 so I figured why not enjoy the buttery smoothness that is 8.1>

Yes, I still think the current build sucks and has me as excited as a wet noodle
Yes, I know this is a technical build and bugs are expected.
Yes, I will will jump right in again when a new build is released

Shadow 024

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Try resetting your phone after getting back to 8.1. I did the same thing.

After returning back to Windows 8, my most recent backups were not listed (instead, older backups only). Once I got up to 8.1 I reset my phone and there it was.

I assume this has to do with the way the backups are detected between the OS versions. Since I returned back to original 8, only 8 backups were shown (and not 8.1, which had more settings, features).

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site

I didnt see anything on my post about defending Microsoft or about anyone being harsh so why you made that comment Im not sure. I pretty much said whats a day or two more SORRY I offended you.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
My 1020 seems to be running it fine after that .net update in the store. Battery seems fine too. 1020 is not my main, but I like having wm10 to test on it while my ativ s remains wp8.1. :)
sent with my ativ s

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Good move OP. No sense in struggling, praying and hoping longer than you need to. At least you got to sample what your new phone will be like. Just a heads up, going back to 8.1 there is an adjustment period. It is going to feel like you've stepped back to Windows Phone 7.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Good move OP. No sense in struggling, praying and hoping longer than you need to. At least you got to sample what your new phone will be like. Just a heads up, going back to 8.1 there is an adjustment period. It is going to feel like you've stepped back to Windows Phone 7.

That would be an upgrade in UI and performance. W10M on my 820 felt more laggy than my Android phone from 2011.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That would be an upgrade in UI and performance. W10M on my 820 felt more laggy than my Android phone from 2011.

Well, I can't speak for your 820 but I can speak for my HTC One M8 running the latest build. Its phenomenal. Even running 8.1, the 820 could not hold a candle to the M8. And based on what you're saying now, it still doesn't. HTC can build a Windows phone. They don't get press like a Samsung but even my first HTC running Windows 7 is still in great shape.

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't agree more..
1) the "resuming..." Is kinda annoying
2) phone sometimes restart automatically
4) awful battery life
5) hot spot go off when screen is locked
6) aps store, install/updates always stuck

On the bright side, I love the action bar (like the android), the fresh-looking home screen, the calendar apps (view month + events simultaneously)

*really couldn't "resuming..." Sometimes

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I can't speak for your 820 but I can speak for my HTC One M8 running the latest build. Its phenomenal. Even running 8.1, the 820 could not hold a candle to the M8. And based on what you're saying now, it still doesn't. HTC can build a Windows phone. They don't get press like a Samsung but even my first HTC running Windows 7 is still in great shape.

When did this turn into a commercial for HTC? :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3