Apps are kept open when using back button

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
From thread "Windows 10 Mobile build 10549! How do you like it?":
Only thing I still miss is closing apps by using the back button. Most apps stay active in the background when using the back button and after a while performance drops because there are too many apps open. Having to close them manually by using task view everytime gets somewhat annoying.

This is really annoying me too. I have no idea of what should be the benefit of leaving apps open on their home screen when returning from them using the back button. Background tasks should not be the point, as this works without the need to keep the apps visible. If I want to keep the app content open, I may simply use the Windows button to return to start screen and open another app. The way it is handled now, all the apps just eat up system ressources - or at least fill up the task view - unless I clean up manually. It takes some steps to do so including long press back button (longer than Windows button to bring down the screen), there is not even a "close all" button.

The behavior was already there in WP8.1 for some apps like Skype and Lumia Camera. I think they got some special rights to do so. The benefit in Lumia Camera was, that it kept its settings until really closing it. However, I found that it already lead to inconsistent user experience and now it seems to become default unfortunately.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Leaving apps open is effectively the original behaviour in osX and Android, in wich you have to scroll the task manager and close.
We are used not to do this and now we are unhappy with this, but I ensure you that after two months of daily use it becomes your natural endeavour closing apps manually.
I suggested to Feedback center once more to display a X red button on apps, as a memo for users ... Similar desktop ones

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Good point! It would even bring consistent behavior between desktop and mobile if swiping down would close the app and swiping just slightly down would bring the "title bar" with the red X button. Unfortunately this is used by the action center atm. However, I still can not see why apps should be kept open on their home screen, even if it should be the behavior of competitor systems, which I do not use.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I like the idea of having the same touch gestures on desktop and mobile: swipe from left = task view, swipe from right = action center, swipe from top = close app. I remember this suggestion from some months ago, hope MS adds this as it would be a step forward in their "One Windows" strategy.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I think this is not new feature but bug.

If it's feature then Close All option is missing.

It's been default since 8.1. WinRT apps will only close if you close them in the task switcher by swiping down on the app or pressing the x on the app.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Apps in the task list are not running, they're not using resources, free ram is wasted ram. Closing them will make the phone waste real resources by reloading and reinitializing them. Don't be dumb this is not lagdroid

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Apps in the task list are not running, they're not using resources, free ram is wasted ram. Closing them will make the phone waste real resources by reloading and reinitializing them. Don't be dumb this is not lagdroid

It is not about that I want free resources just to have them free, I want them for useful stuff. If something is kept open that I actually want to close because I do not need it for the next hours, this is waste - be it in resources or just in the task view, where I lose overview. I already stated in my initial post that apps may run their background tasks invisibly. On the desktop there is the red X button, that is simple to use. I miss this on the phone, although I learned to use the back button in 8.1 for this.

Btw: "Not using resources" and "free ram is wasted ram" is an obvious contradiction.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
With build 10572 Edge now also keeps all of its tabs open even when closing it through task view. So even more cleanup work, and Edge now also takes some time before showing the tab overview. Where is the clean intuitive UI gone?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This is actually how it is intended to work. It is called multitasking. If you want to close an app, hold the the back button and just swipe the card down. They have almost made it as good as WebOS, lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss