Lost synced text messages

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've done the downgrade/upgrade cycle three times now. First time I got texts synced up to around March 2014. Second time I only got texts through July 2013. Finally decided to just do a sms/mms backup to SD card and restored that in 10572.

How do you backup to sd card and restore?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded that app (Contacts+mesages) and created a backup from WP8.1
Put a copy in the cloud

Upgraded to 10572 and installed the app. Downloaded the backup folders\files from the cloud and put them on the SD card. Ran restore.
Restore took a few minutes. (Backup was fast) But very nice.

All texts and contacts are populated without waiting for over the air sync.
Not sure if WP10 will KNOW that the sync is unnecessary, thus negating the effort of syncing, but it is worth to me just to pick up where I left off.
(I did all this on a second phone as a test. My main phone -1520- still has not ever caught up on text syncing.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Just to update and reiterate: My text messages are still syncing. 7 days ago, I wasn't showing any messages after October 2014. I'm now up to Feb 2015. I'm still syncing slowly, but surely. It looks like I'm getting them back at a rate of about a month of messages per day of syncing. I wonder what will happen if they don't all sync before the next build becomes available?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I think it's placebo. Still stuck at June 2014 here. And contacts backup app won't work correctly on dual sim devices (all messages restored on SIM1).

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Finally got a response from MS. Mike Mongeau says they're investigating, no conclusion yet but probably partly service-side. So wait and see.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes it does. After 581 I still have absolutely no text messages. I have so many too a ns like others her my Mam left our world last year and I have many message relating to that I want to keep.

NoogMan9605

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to newest build, all photos, etc. have sync'd, but not a single text message has downloaded from prior to installing this preview. I've changed every setting I can think of, but nothing works....I've never had this issue with 8.1. I let it sit overnight on wifi, and , I'm having no luck at all. Not trying to be pessimistic, but I hope my texts aren't gone. I really don't want to have to go back to 8.1 to get them back, as I'm digging WP10.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. My message syncing has stopped since I upgraded to this build. Now, I'm stuck having synced up until Feb. 2015, but no messages after that.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
That's one way of improving battery life...not syncing messages. :p

From a development standpoint, I don't understand why they can't add a "sync now" button. Heck, work like Skype does, you scroll backward and then it checks to see if it needs to pull down messages.

vuljanic989

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Had same problem,i think it's app update problem,since after build install i installed and updated all my apps including messages app...when i saw no messages i did a full reset of the system,when it booted i stopped all updates and installs in store,including messaging app...then i entered messaging app,when to settings,changed restore settings to "any time" and then my messages started to restore normally,after restore i updated messaging and other apps....worked for me

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Almost 2 weeks ago I upgraded my Lumia 920 from WP8.1 to Win 10 Mobile build 10549. Took about 5-6 hours but I got all my text messages + attachments back since Nov. 2012.
Last night I rolled back to WP8.1 (I had the upgrade error) and then came to build 10581. My text messages started to come in. About an hour later they stopped coming in. The last I have are dated 7/11/2014. Nothing new came in during the past 10 hours or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss