Who's got build 10581? How's it working for you?

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
This is the first build that has fully trashed a phone for me. I am in an endless reboot loop, followed by the frowny face, followed by gears churning and a reboot, etc. I've had builds that needed a reset to run right, but never got stuck in the upgrade cycle.

I have a 640xl. When I get home I will try to recover back to 8.1, upgrade on a clean install and see what happens. I am seeing a wider set of experiences here. This build seems rather sensitive to the state of the phone when upgrading, since I am not detecting a pattern based on device. Some low end devices upgraded fine according to comments. Some older ones did. Others have had severe problems.

At least cloud backups make blowing the OS away and starting over fairly lossless (other than time looking at turning gears).

I had the same issue with the build 10166 on my Lumia 520. With this spinning gear and sad face reboot loop, I think recovery tool will be of no use here. The tool simply wouldn't recognize my phone. Had to flash the ROM on to the phone. Hope this helps you if you get into the same dead end.

GK Wong

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone with 1520 noticed that the recommended Size of text, apps, and items on this display changed to 250% by default? Previously was 225%

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Woah, based from the posts here looks like this build works great on my 520. Now I really want to install it. But... I'm quite scared. LOL. It's my first time trying this Insider Preview thing. I don't know what to do. I don't even understand what's a fast ring and slow ring! I am most concerned with my apps, games, and files. Do I need to hard reset my phone? If yes, what would happen to my apps? If not, is there a chance that this build would corrupt them or something? What I understand about hard reset is that it will wipe out all data on your phone. So I guess I need to do a backup?

Alex Athanasiou

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Been using 10581 for around 5 hours. Experienced first crash. Plugged phone in to top up battery which was mostly full only to see the phone switching on although I did not turn it off. Still getting error for glance which wont update. Lumia 925.

dbam987

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm just about 3 hours into using this build and so far it's running liquid smooth. My phone is the Lumia 735, and I upgraded direct from build 10549. All my applications carried over nicely. The "resuming" delays are virtually gone now. Looks like WM10 is practically ready for prime time. Just a few more bug squishes here and there.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
1st attempt updating from 10536 to 10581 resulted in an error during install on Lumia 930. This momentarily bricked the phone and I had to do a soft reset. 2nd attempt worked. Now the investigating begins. I am especially interested in the supposed battery improvement.

Private Nemesis

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Im striking error 8x80070538, on a Lumia 920. I see at MS this is attributed to WP8 devices and requires us to use the Recovery Tool. BUT Im seeing many reports of successful upgrades by other 920 users so this smells like BS to me

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Working perfect on Lumia 535, just missing 3G only setting for data and Storage setting bug as Gab mention it on blog. Trying to find 3G only solution, any idea if some kind of registry edit can do this?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Installed and works like a charm on my Icon from 572 without hard reset. So far things are a bit snappier, seems more polished. I would say another 3 weeks & it's game time..

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Im striking error 8x80070538, on a Lumia 920. I see at MS this is attributed to WP8 devices and requires us to use the Recovery Tool. BUT Im seeing many reports of successful upgrades by other 920 users so this smells like BS to me
My upgrade attempt from 10549 to 10581 failed 4 times today. I finally used the recovery tool and now I am nearing the end of what looks like a successful upgrade. So the recovery tool helped. No BS about it.
The way I understood what happens is that Error 0x80070538 is related to phones which were originally with WP 8 and than later upgraded to WP 8.1. My Lumia 920 is certainly one of those. The recovery tool took my Lumia 920 to WP 8.1 Cyan. As for other 920 users with successful upgrades, I guess they used the recovery tool at some time in the past.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Woah, based from the posts here looks like this build works great on my 520. Now I really want to install it. But... I'm quite scared. LOL. It's my first time trying this Insider Preview thing. I don't know what to do. I don't even understand what's a fast ring and slow ring! I am most concerned with my apps, games, and files. Do I need to hard reset my phone? If yes, what would happen to my apps? If not, is there a chance that this build would corrupt them or something? What I understand about hard reset is that it will wipe out all data on your phone. So I guess I need to do a backup?

If you have a good Wi-Fi with loads of data at your disposal and have the time and patience to revert back to 8.1 in case something goes wrong(you can't always tell it will work for you because it works for someone with the same model. After all it's a TP), you can jump in for sure. If your answer is a 'no' for any of these two better wait a few weeks. I'm sure an RTM build is not far away seeing how fast things are proceeding now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention