Video recording in Windows 10 Mobile - only mono audio?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I went to a concert last night, and recorded a couple of songs. I've done that before, with WP 8.1 on my Lumia Icon. They sounded and looked very good.

This time, the recording (using the Camera app - not Lumia Camera), looked good, but the sound was horrible and only in mono. I asked this in the Lumia Icon W10M mobile thread, and someone else confirmed that his Icon also records in mono. Can someone else with Windows 10 Mobile Build 10581 on another model verify that the Camera app in Windows 10 Mobile it only records in mono??

That seems absolutely insane, so I can only assume it's a bug. Also, the Camera app, as opposed to Lumia Camera (which no longer opens!) doesn't have the audio adjustment settings (surround, bass cutoff).

If for some reason the videos are only recorded in mono sound (after the Icon was specifically designed to record great audio no less!), that seems like a bug they can't have in the official release.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I went to a concert last night, and recorded a couple of songs. I've done that before, with WP 8.1 on my Lumia Icon. They sounded and looked very good.

This time, the recording (using the Camera app - not Lumia Camera), looked good, but the sound was horrible and only in mono. I asked this in the Lumia Icon W10M mobile thread, and someone else confirmed that his Icon also records in mono. Can someone else with Windows 10 Mobile Build 10581 on another model verify that the Camera app in Windows 10 Mobile it only records in mono??

That seems absolutely insane, so I can only assume it's a bug. Also, the Camera app, as opposed to Lumia Camera (which no longer opens!) doesn't have the audio adjustment settings (surround, bass cutoff).

If for some reason the videos are only recorded in mono sound (after the Icon was specifically designed to record great audio no less!), that seems like a bug they can't have in the official release.

1 - Lumia Camera was cancelled by MS, now there's Windows Camera

2 - How many mics have your Phone? Did you look in settings everywhere?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
1 - Lumia Camera was cancelled by MS, now there's Windows Camera

2 - How many mics have your Phone? Did you look in settings everywhere?

1. I know, that bugs me. Lumia Camera was better, imo.

2. The Icon/930 has 4 mics. In WP8.1 it recorded in excellent stereo/surround. I've tried to find settings for this, but haven't found any.

Do you know of any settings? Have you tried recording and seen if it records in mono on your phone? That's what I would like to know.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
1. I know, that bugs me. Lumia Camera was better, imo.

2. The Icon/930 has 4 mics. In WP8.1 it recorded in excellent stereo/surround. I've tried to find settings for this, but haven't found any.

Do you know of any settings? Have you tried recording and seen if it records in mono on your phone? That's what I would like to know.

I read something about in forum in the past, try the Search button on top

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I searched before I posted, and found nothing. What was it you read about? Can you help me out and record a short video clip on your W10M phone and see if it recorded in mono?

Sorry I can't, I owe a Lumia with only one mic, I remeber something about Home screen , slide to all apps-> Settings -> audio

aditrodostress

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
yeaah. finnaly i'm not alone here. :cry:
before found this thread i'm trying ask to many people on youtube windowscentral or website but nothing answer :cry:

nothing wrong about mikeso opinion
lumia icon or lumia 930 and any other have HAAC mic in lumia icon have 4 haac mic like lumia 930. using wp8.1 with lumia camera, thats no problem about sound quality. i just say lumia 930/icon the best ever smartphone for music concert record. sound very wide and stereo :cool:

in wm10 lastest build degradation video recording quality (Sound quality) not better like wp8.1

i'm using lumia 925 and try install lastest build wm10 and have problem like that. (sound quality) in video record. when using wp8.1 video got stereo sound and wm10 got mono sound.

hope the next wm10 have feature like 8.1
oh lumia 925 have 2 haac mic and sorry for bad english

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I can't, I owe a Lumia with only one mic, I remeber something about Home screen , slide to all apps-> Settings -> audio

Yeah, there's an audio setting there, but only for playback, nothing for recording. Thanks though.

yeaah. finnaly i'm not alone here. :cry:
before found this thread i'm trying ask to many people on youtube windowscentral or website but nothing answer :cry:

nothing wrong about mikeso opinion
lumia icon or lumia 930 and any other have HAAC mic in lumia icon have 4 haac mic like lumia 930. using wp8.1 with lumia camera, thats no problem about sound quality. i just say lumia 930/icon the best ever smartphone for music concert record. sound very wide and stereo :cool:

in wm10 lastest build degradation video recording quality (Sound quality) not better like wp8.1

i'm using lumia 925 and try install lastest build wm10 and have problem like that. (sound quality) in video record. when using wp8.1 video got stereo sound and wm10 got mono sound.

hope the next wm10 have feature like 8.1
oh lumia 925 have 2 haac mic and sorry for bad english

Your English is fine.
Thanks, and I'm glad it's not just the Icon (since it's a tiny percentage of phones) but also bummed your phone has the same problem!
This seems like such a weird bug that I don't understand how we can be this close to release and not have this working. It was one of the reasons I liked the Icon, the audio recording was great.

Can more people chime in and see if this is across the board? Anyone know if this has been mentioned elsewhere? I haven't heard anything about it before!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. I thought I broke my phone or something. on my 830 I noticed that on the properties page it says it was only recording in MONO. so I went to get my sisters 1520 and same with her it was only recording in MONO. looks like that's a real bummer for all of us Capture.PNG

aditrodostress

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. I thought I broke my phone or something. on my 830 I noticed that on the properties page it says it was only recording in MONO. so I went to get my sisters 1520 and same with her it was only recording in MONO. looks like that's a real bummer for all of us View attachment 116256

maybe windows forgot "Rich Recording" and i can't explain why my phone L925 unsupported Lumia Camera 5
right now in denim camera quality it's a shockingly bad.
Screenshot_6.jpg
Screenshot_7.jpg

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 930 here. There's indeed no stereo/dolby surround option in Windows 10 Mobile :/
And as one (or two) of my mics are defect, I even don't have sound at all when recording in mono.

I'm desperately waiting for stereo to come back. It worked well on 8.1 using Lumia Camera...

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
L640 here, also getting mono audio with Camera or Voice Recorder but stereo with Perfect Recorder.

There must be some bug or missing setting to adjust audio options.

Julius Velasco

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm also using 930. Having the same issue when taking video.
Windows Camera did not give us any option for Surround when taking video unlike in Lumia Camera....

I hope they Fix this issue.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Holy cow, that's a HUGE bug. Those premium phones are suppsed to do better than just stereo even. They're supposed to do full 5.1 dolby surround sound recording with videos. Stereo is the bare minimum. They're also supposed to have the Nokia mic codec that prevents ANY clipping and ensures flawless audio.

If my 1520 were still around I'd be PISSED.

Salman Halim

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I have Lumia 1020 and I can confirm that after updating to dev preview 586 WP10 update, my phone is also recording videos with mono sound. I tried all the camera apps but none works for stereo. This is a huge bug indeed in WP10 and I hope they will fix it in final release of Lumia 1020 WP10.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
If a fix comes at all, it will probably need to be implemented as part of a firmware upgrade, which means it may need to wait until the official releases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077