My experience with preview build 10586 on Lumia 928

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 928 ran just about flawless on the 8.1 Denim. After updating to windows 10 mobile insider preview build 10585, I'd have to say that this build (that is the official build shipping on the new Lumia 950s) has not been a great experience on my 928. It's unclear if this is due to the new OS requiring better and newer hardware or just bugs still needing to be worked out. I only upgraded because the build was the one shipping on the new Lumia's and I thought the build would be fairly polished.

Slow speed. Not fluid at all. A lot of loading between screens and apps.

Tiles are are not in sync with the lock screen notification areas all the time or delayed.

The store is very slow to load.

The built in maps now has turn by turn voice navigates instructions. When I used to travel recently, the GPS was 10 seconds delayed. Was not like this on 8.1.

I guess I expected a wow factor jumping to the new OS, but for the most part, nothing that major that makes we want to tell others to update.

For me, windows 10 mobile build 10586 was not the best experience.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I had very similar experiences on my 640/920/1020. I hard reset all of them and been forcing myself to use the 640 as a DD, its actually gotten a lot better and much more stable after the resets and a bunch of app updates. Not quite 8.1.2 levels, but better than the "steaming pile" description I had initially given W10M. As with all Microsoft products, we just have to be patient...

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 928 ran just about flawless on the 8.1 Denim. After updating to windows 10 mobile insider preview build 10585, I'd have to say that this build (that is the official build shipping on the new Lumia 950s) has not been a great experience on my 928. It's unclear if this is due to the new OS requiring better and newer hardware or just bugs still needing to be worked out. I only upgraded because the build was the one shipping on the new Lumia's and I thought the build would be fairly polished.

Slow speed. Not fluid at all. A lot of loading between screens and apps.

Tiles are are not in sync with the lock screen notification areas all the time or delayed.

The store is very slow to load.

The built in maps now has turn by turn voice navigates instructions. When I used to travel recently, the GPS was 10 seconds delayed. Was not like this on 8.1.

I guess I expected a wow factor jumping to the new OS, but for the most part, nothing that major that makes we want to tell others to update.

For me, windows 10 mobile build 10586 was not the best experience.

Better for you reading forum. You have tipical iussues needing first a backup then an hardware reset (settings -> info -> restore) so you can have a fresh out-of-the-box experience. After that, you have to let your phone update his core apps (about 30/40) and syncronize to your OneDrive.
People forget a smartphone (whatever it is, Apple ,Andorid, BB or MS) is the same like a notebook: out of the box, it updates and expands itself

dustman86

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I am glad to see someone else still using a 928. After performing a hard reset I too installed the insider preview build 10586.11 a few days ago. I did not restore anything from backup either.
The experience and performance is about what I would a expect for a 2+ year old phone. I too have seen some sluggishness when loading the Store, Messaging, etc. but my biggest complaint is with the Outlook sync performance and notifications. Setting the “Download new content” option to “as items arrive” is not working as one would expect, i.e. email may not arrive for an hour or more unless I intervene and manually tell it to sync. This is true for the google account I have added as well, which is a bigger problem as that is my work account.
I know this may not be ready for prime time and your mileage may vary, but my plan is to give it a week before I consider rolling back. Otherwise I have to say I am enjoying the changes thus far.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm also using the 928. I did a hard reset after installing W10M for a clean experience. Mine has been pretty smooth so far, no real hiccups. There's a bit of slowness occasionally, but not often.

The one complaint of yours that is the most significant I've experienced is the GPS delay. This is an odd bug. I've missed turns because of it. I'm wondering what's causing it.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Same issue on the L925, which is identical to the L928. I recently did a hard reset, and DID NOT see a significant difference in performance. Maybe a little better, but not much.

I did buy a Lumia 640 during a black friday sale from Best Buy for $29. I'm loving this phone and windows 10 runs great on it. It's surprising, because the performance shouldn't be THAT much better. The 640 has a quad core processor versus the dual-core 928, but the cores run faster on the 928 so it shouldn't be tragically significant. But, it is. I heard someone mention that W10M may not be optimized well for the dual-core processors, and I believe them, now.

The camera on the L640 is a slight step down from the L928, but the camera is much more functional now because of how much faster the camera app operates. Otherwise, the L640 is as good in most ways (ram, glance screen, etc.) and better in many more ways (screen size, weight, screen quality, battery life, sensor core, miracast, etc.).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon