Why can't I connect my Lumia 640XL to my Laptop?

Aditya Gadgil

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have Microsoft Lumia 640XL. I recently updated my phone to Windows 10 build 10586 through windows insider. Everything was working really fine until I started experiencing some lock screen issues. So I hard reset my phone. But now since I hard reset it, it can't connect to my laptop (also with win 10). Whenever I connect it, it shows that my device is malfunctioned and windows can't recognize it. In device manager, it shows this device in the USB controllers by name of "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor request failed) Code(43). It shows it for a few seconds and then it disappears (My phone is still connected). When I access the hidden devices, the unknown USB device is seen; but when i click on properties, it says that the device isn't connected (Code 45). At the same time I get notification on my phone that my phone is charging slowly. I really need help, I couldn't find solution anywhere. I've hard reset it two times afterwards, but no use, I still can't connect. I downloaded some drivers but when I try to update, it shows the driver software is already up to date.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can not connect Lumia 640XL to Laptop.

Try restarting your system

Try removing the drivers and updating it fresh.

This should make it work

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

Did by chance you do a hard reset on the prior W10M build? (10581 I think.) If so that corrupted your file system on the phone, and they only way to get it fully working again is to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to put WP8.1 back on and the update it to 10586 again. (I just got done doing this with my 640.)

See doing a hard reset isn't always the best thing, as sometimes it causes real problems... :wink:

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

By following the instruction in the recovery tool. (If you follow instructions it will have you reboot the phone while it is connected to your PC and it will "catch" it in the boot process and hold it at the recovery point.)

It worked for my 640 that had this problem.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks MP3Mike. I haven't done this yet but have the same issue. I'll wait for the official release then do this.

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site

Good news. I did NOT have to do the above to get it working again.

I just removed my micro SD card and put it in an adapter and plugged into my computer. My Win 10 computer said it was corrupt needing a format. So I formatted and put back in my phone.... All is recognized again and the Lumia 640 shows as a drive now.

82pye

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site

my window 10 Lumia 640 xl lte phone wont connect windows 10 computer I did a reset on phone and still nothing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster