New WC App Beta. Still on Target for Release This Week?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For context:

08 February:
Status update and sneak peek at the new Windows Central App for Windows 10 | Windows Central

We think we are on track to release it this week (for real). There is some last minute polishing and testing of the Live Tile and notifications left, but we think that it can be wrapped in the next few days. From there, we will take feedback, bug reports, and iterate builds before we remove the beta status. Since we are launching mostly feature complete the beta tag is more or less a formality for wider testing and feedback.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok then, since you think you can do it without delays, lets see you make a fully featured app at a deadline, and don't you dare miss it.

Also worth noting I believe the developer is being paid and development is his job... (I could be wrong though)

Communication would be nice, but we are not hearing much. Thankfully they had an update piece last week but its already missed its release window, on top of the more information we were supposed to get a month or two ago IIRC.

A lot of us would be OK with some response like "sorry but we obviously missed the open beta ship date - this is what's going on." but the developer was silent on only this topic (while promoting some other app I think) along with relative silence from MN people. I've seen a couple people say they'll run it up to -whoever- but nothing happened for weeks until Daniel's tweet and shortly after that, his article, which is a nice update but I fear we've fallen back onto that same cycle until the next update.

And I don't mean app update.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Technically there never was an official release date. They were hoping to maybe release it last week but nothing official.

From my understanding WC will be taking a loss in money as they claim not to charge for the app nor burden us with ads within it.

As much as I am anxious to use the new app I'm even more understanding that this was a side project for the developer. As such, a little patience and respect for those involved goes a long way. It will be released when they feel it is worthy enough to do so. Otherwise, they'll just get slammed with a bunch of complaining and crying as to why they released it early - even though the criers knew to expect issues.

I would like them to have an option for donations to the cause, especially if there won't be any charge or ads. I'm just thankful a new app is on the horizon.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Respect goes two ways. This is the second time the open beta should have been released already, Instead its not released and no word on it.

Plus I don't understand why they wanted to make the app free and no ads. I think most users would have paid and maybe than the developer would care for the app and actually get it done.

Tushar94

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 for Mobile was to be released for public use in December 2015. It has not been done yet.

Windows Central App didn't specify a date for release. Yet has not been released as of now.

Good things take time. Be patient.

Last edited:

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 for Mobile was to be released for public use in December 2015. It has not been done yet.

Windows Central App didn't specify a date for release. Yet has not been released as if now.

Good things take time. Be patient.

They posted a ask Dan video in early December they said the app would be out 7-10 days from that video, and now they said by the end of last week still hasn't been released that's 2 release dates that they missed

Sent from mTalk

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
They posted a ask Dan video in early December they said the app would be out 7-10 days from that video, and now they said by the end of last week still hasn't been released that's 2 release dates that they missed

Sent from mTalk

Lol. He said we're looking to have it out then, not it WILL be released then. Some features (I think the forum part) was proving difficult to get just right.

Anyways, this conversation is done as there will always be ungrateful and impatient people.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Where are the grounds of "should"?

If users are so entitled perhaps they should make one themselves.

Half the issue is communication.

And the sense of entitlement comes from seeing all these other services and companies put out 10 apps while the number 1 Windows Phone enthusiast site is still without one.

Also that there was supposed to be a beta since last year with two timeframes given, both have been missed and without any communication as for why.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
If the delay resulted in a dark theme, would you still be crying?

No official set in stone release dates were ever given. Nothing missed.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the delay resulted in a dark theme, would you still be crying?

No official set in stone release dates were ever given. Nothing missed.

There were two (arguably three) likely windows explicitly given for an open beta, and both were missed with little word from anyone as to whats going on. (although its better this time around I guess)

It was originally said they were looking at the next 7-10 days to release an open beta of the app.
(Rubino mentions its ad-free nature, that forum support is being a bit of a headache, they want all the features of the old app, etc. - but its called "almost done," said to be out "real soon" so things look great right? 7-10 days doesn't sound bad at all!

That was December 11, 2015.
People started complaining around Christmas time. There was back and forth, I even threw up a "we get there when we get there!" clip from The Incredibles because things go wrong all the time and whatnot, whats a couple extra weeks?

Well if posts are to go off of, the dev doesn't seem to reply to tweets asking about the app.
I hear about the question being run up to Daniel or someone by more senior mods/staff. Nothing happens.

~Two months after that #AskDan video, Rubino tweeted of an open beta test "in the next few days" on February 4th, 2016 so things are looking up.

Well, a few days later we get the (much appreciated Status update) article on February 8th 2016. I'm happy he at least acknowledged the timeframe "which stretched on longer than anticipated."

"Luckily, we are finally nearing the open public beta testing period of our new app"
(one could argue this is the third timeframe given.)

Again they say its ad-free, it's going to be an open beta, etc. and its aimed for being at feature parity with the 8.1 app, which is quite good. (already beating Microsoft)

What I really appreciate is this gem.
Why did it take so long?

There are the usual roadblocks and items that took longer than expected. The holidays also didn't help besides waiting for Windows 10 Mobile to stabilize. For instance, forum integration is a huge project in and of itself. Being able to Quote and Thank a post as well as create one and log in to your account are not at all trivial.

Our last hurdle is getting the Live Tile and Push Notifications up and running, which is what we are working on for this week before we go live. We're also going to attempt to enable actionable notifications for comments and forum replies if time permits.
We know you folks have high expectations, so releasing an app with some of those core features missing would just result in an endless stream of complaints.

Yes! An explanation! I'm OK with this! But two months of silence isn't fun. I can say ignoring the would-be users and leaving us in the metaphorical trenches without any metaphorical paddle didn't improve the situation.

Of course, I don't know whats going on behind the scenes so I can't judge, but it still bothers me nonetheless. Sure tell me to make my own app, but I'm not a professional developer well-versed in the language who can make a QuizUp app.

I understand things go wrong all the time in software all the time and whatnot but is it too much to ask for even an incomplete sentence on whats going on? Or why these windows are being publicly stated when its become clear they are far too optimistic?

Thankfully we did just get this from the dev on Twitter.
"Actionable Notifications - Done
Light/Dark Options - Done
Swipeable Drawer - Done"

So at least we're doing better than last time I suppose.
Not very helpful in determining what the metaphorical thorn is though. It is something though.

And on top of it all, we are talking about an app for the number one Windows Phone site on the planet. Who has two apps on Android, both better supported. Like the iPhone fiasco with Belfiore, what does this say?

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I would like to first start by saying that we have two different view points on the same situation. I don't take things like "hope", "looking", and the like as absolutes. I take those as there is a slight chance that there could be a release but an even higher chance that there won't. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you take those as set in stone, then that is your deal.

Secondy, I don't see how two popular OS' with higher support and development receiving more attention than Windows 10 mobile entitles you to anything. Of course Android (or even iOS) has more/better apps because development is a dime/doz. on that side. This is nothing new. Maybe if WC could afford a staff/dedicated developer things would be different. Instead, a developer chose to help us out by developing the app on the side - after a full time job, life's curves, and most likely a family (I'm assuming as I don't know the guy).

If I was the developer I would not have said anything about a new app until it was near completion (or stable enough for an initial release) just to avoid all the nagging of when it was going to be done. It's like a long road trip with a back seat full of kids: "are we there yet?" "are we there yet?" .... In that sense, maybe he should have been a little more forthcoming with status updates since hints were dropped. Then again, when you are doing something on your spare time it's a little tricky to know just when something will get done (assuming there are no major problems that need ironing out).

I don't know man, to each their own. I'm just thankful a new app is on the way, even if it takes a little while for it to come out. I'll take the delays if the developer polishes off and incorporates the features the users are looking for. It's just an app on a smartphone, not a life or death scenario.

Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro