Is it Windows 10 or is it The App Developers

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that apps will crash.. Sometimes show the splash screen and then crash continuouslyl Or constantly keep crashing when using them.

Doesn't matter if it's Windows phone 8.1 apps or Windows 10 mobile apps. Some apps don't crash at all. Even happens to the windows central app.

When these sort of crashes occur (example, only splash screen and constantly crashing) , the only way to fix it is reboot the phone.

Is this a OS level problem.. Or is this a problem witht the app's code?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If rebooting the OS breaks the cycle of continual crashing, then it's very likely OS related. Without having access to the source code it's impossible to say for sure however. It could also be a combination of the app doing something unexpected and the OS not being able to deal with it. Sorry. It's just not possible to know.
If you could give a specific example that others can reproduce it might help.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If rebooting the OS breaks the cycle of continual crashing, then it's very likely OS related. Without having access to the source code it's impossible to say for sure however. It could also be a combination of the app doing something unexpected and the OS not being able to deal with it. Sorry. It's just not possible to know.
If you could give a specific example that others can reproduce it might help.

I guess it would be difficult to replicate:

Open windows central app, hangs on splash screen. Eventually force closes. Open again, same thing. Open again, same thing. The app will never open. Just loads splash screen and crashes.

Reboot the phone and the app works fine.

Sometimes i may try to attach a photo in an app and the photos app keeps crashing. Won't let me attach anything until the phone is rebooted.

Sometimes i open an app and it crashes and forces the phone to reboot.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I blame Microsoft. Whether not enough fixing is being put into the OS or their stock apps are just buggy or etc. I wouldn't think as many developers as there are got it all wrong.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I blame Microsoft. Whether not enough fixing is being put into the OS or their stock apps are just buggy or etc. I wouldn't think as many developers as there are got it all wrong.

Yup. Just now I was trying to open settings. I was greeted with "loading..." crash... tried again.. "loading..." crash... Tried again... "Loading.. " crash... on the 4th try, it opened...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ouch... I can't claim that W10M is problem free, but it's nowhere near that unstable for me on my L830. I can't recall the WCentral app crashing at all.

Also seems incredibly arbitrary.

You have your apps on an SD card by any chance? What phone model? What OS version? Temps?

Problem solving using systematic elimination looks like your best option. I think you know how that begins (including SD card and without restoring) 😉

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Are apps installed on sd card? Remove it and deep check via notebook sd reader
The settings app would most definitely not be installed on the sd card :)

I've done a chkdsk /r on the sd card already and it was fine.

And it happens with apps installed on device memory also.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The settings app would most definitely not be installed on the sd card.
No, but the settings app will access the SD card regardless. Considering that the erratic apps occasionally launch without issues, I also question how meaningful chkdsk reporting "all clear" really is. I'd say "not very".
I'd consider your SD card a high priority elimination candidate.

Remove it, hard reset, reinstall the WCentral app. Then see what happens.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, but the settings app will access the SD card regardless. Considering that the erratic apps occasionally launch without issues, I also question how meaningful chkdsk reporting "all clear" really is. I'd say "not very".
I'd consider your SD card a high priority elimination candidate.

Remove it, hard reset, reinstall the WCentral app. Then see what happens.

the phone was just reset and sdcard formatted. like, last week. I'm really not trying to troubleshoot, X just want to know if its os level or the app developer fault.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok then, you already have that answer. All we can say is that the OS is at least involved (affects more than one app, reboot temporarily fixes it, etc), but we can't know to what extent without source code.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I think it's very likely the developers at fault here. WindowsCentral app crashes sometimes after splash screen on my 950 also, and since it's not happening every time I bet it's a async function that's having a race with another part of the code. Meaning some part of the code tries to run before the async function has finished returning a value, and therefor crashes. I've seen this many times.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think he apps crash since the code is changing with each build, right? Like the way with one build an antivirus is working but with the next fast insider build, the AV stops working until the AV maker makes changes so that it can work. So if a new build comes out, some piece of base code has changed which a lot of apps depend on and thus they crash frequently

What do you think?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I get app crashes all the time. On redstone at least. Windows central will typically crash if I'm scrolling down in the comment section. As if loading more comments is causing some memory issue, who knows.

I was just playing Halo Spartan strike and it crashed after finishing the first level.

It happens quite often on the new builds. Which is sort of funny because previous builds didn't do that. So you would think that the closer they are to releasing anniversary update the more optimized they are making things.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think he apps crash since the code is changing with each build, right? Like the way with one build an antivirus is working but with the next fast insider build, the AV stops working until the AV maker makes changes so that it can work. So if a new build comes out, some piece of base code has changed which a lot of apps depend on and thus they crash frequently

What do you think?

Not possible. That type of bug would be completely unaffected by a reboot, not to mention that we'd all be witnessing the same issues.

I think it's very likely the developers at fault here. WindowsCentral app crashes sometimes after splash screen on my 950 also, and since it's not happening every time I bet it's a async function that's having a race with another part of the code. Meaning some part of the code tries to run before the async function has finished returning a value, and therefor crashes. I've seen this many times.

From the sound of it, the OP can quite easily reproduce the problem and it is exhibited by quite a few apps. The WCentral app is one of them. If this was just an app bug, threading related or otherwise, we'd be seeing a lot more people reporting that problem in these forums. The chances that his device is particularly "good" at surfacing a race condition while everyone else's devices running the same apps aren't is, well, highly unlikely.

I get app crashes all the time. On redstone at least.

The OP specifically mentioned that he has the same problem with WP8.1, so his problem certainly isn't related to Redstone.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not possible. That type of bug would be completely unaffected by a reboot, not to mention that we'd all be witnessing the same issues.

From the sound of it, the OP can quite easily reproduce the problem and it is exhibited by quite a few apps. The WCentral app is one of them. If this was just an app bug, threading related or otherwise, we'd be seeing a lot more people reporting that problem in these forums. The chances that his device is particularly "good" at surfacing a race condition while everyone else's devices running the same apps aren't is, well, highly unlikely.

The OP specifically mentioned that he has the same problem with WP8.1, so his problem certainly isn't related to Redstone.

The OP said "apps". Windows 8.1 apps which run in windows 10 under backwards compatibility. They are all run in memory and managed by windows 10 mobile.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, the only apps I have that ever give me problems are:
- New Windows Central (crashes ALL THE TIME... trying to compose a post, scrolling through news articles... old one works perfectly)
- Mass Effect Infiltrator (which is known to simply crash instantly after loading on all builds of W10)
- Spectral Souls (Audio, no video on W10M - somehow it works just fine on W10 PCs/tablets though)
- Chaos Rings (texture loading failure... to be fair though, this issue happens on every WP that lacks an OLED, an S4+ and a 480p or 768p screen).

I'm thinking it's a dev issue.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
The only app i've seen crash lately is Outlook Mail. It occasionally crashes on open then I just open it again and it's fine.

I've not seen Win Central crash in a while, though I don't use the forums on it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The OP said "apps". Windows 8.1 apps which run in windows 10 under backwards compatibility. They are all run in memory and managed by windows 10 mobile.

You're right. I should have re-read the post before answering. Thanks for correcting that! :)

Still, if it was purely a Redstone issue, everyone would be experiencing the same problems at the splash screen. I don't think that's the case. There are certainly problems with Redstone and with W10M in general, but the OP is not just reporting random app crashes. It's a lot more specific than that. To me it doesn't sound like what ttsoldier and others here are reporting are the same things.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The only app i've seen crash lately is Outlook Mail. It occasionally crashes on open then I just open it again and it's fine.

I've not seen Win Central crash in a while, though I don't use the forums on it.

I don't use the app for forums either, just to read the main articles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre