W10M Insider Preview 14388/390/393 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Inactive)

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: W10M Insider Preview 14388/390/393 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Fast & Slow Rings)

I haven't seen them happen, but on my 950XL I do notice that Hello asks me to use my PIN because apparently a reboot happened. So yeah, maybe the reboots are back. Hmm.. Hope they're getting good telemetry from folks who haven't selfishly turned off enhanced feedback. :)

I don't think you CAN set it to anything other than "enhanced" on Insider anymore, can you?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: W10M Insider Preview 14388/390/393 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Fast & Slow Rings)

I don't think you CAN set it to anything other than "enhanced" on Insider anymore, can you?
Which is why some people leave insider after each update. Of course then you also can't give feedback anymore.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Yes, the dreaded circling dots. I have had experienced those - big circling dots at center page - and have given them considerable time to quite (and usually do), I have also backed out (like you), and if I get to impatient, I will soft reset. All the preceding methods don't seem to have caused and additional issues nor prevented any app updates. Seems that some build updates cause more backstage activity than others. But to the point; I get the prolong circles at time also, but they have subsided greatly.
This sounds weird, I know, but I get those big circling dots at the store too. For "me" I've found it only happens when I drop from LTE to 3G.

I always just reboot and get back to LTE and never the circling dots on LTE.

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.5]

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I connected my phone to my continuum dock as I just wanted to quickly do some catching up on news.

One cool thing is Instagram finally supports it. But I found that this new build has the taskbar auto-hide in some applications that can go full screen. Then when you bring the mouse down to bring it up it shows up translucent! That's pretty cool. Though edge is still slow on some sites. And there's still no way to turn off screen while using it.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I've been traveling last couple of days ( and still on the road). Report: Maps: Fail!; Camera: Fail!; Receive Calls: Fail!; Bluetooth: Fail!; 5 second delay is back: Double Fail!; Photo viewing: Fail! OneNote: Fail!

And to top it off my PS3 is acting like it wants to emulate my phone. Both devices were a pain in the ***, this trip.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One nice thing: It seems like Garmin StreetPilot finally resumes reliably. Hope it's not a fluke, bit it resumed three times. I can't recall the last time it resumed successfully, so I'm tempted to be optimistic.

Not so great: The photos app had some pinch zoom bug, like the zoom center was incorrectly interpolated.

I also had my first lockup today. I think I left WhatsApp open, and after going to sleep ot (950XL) wouldn't wake after a few tries. Ended up hard rebooting.

Still positive overall, battery life seems good.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

DimIBT

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Besides the contacts pictures not appearing in the Contacts live tile, I think that this build (I'm on Release Preview) is pretty good. I used a Lumia 950 XL in march for a review and I was very disappointed. Came back to Windows 10 Mobile with Lumia 950 and it's a completely different thing now after Anniversary Update: fast and reliable. Still some crash here and there, but more solid performance than launch.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Besides the contacts pictures not appearing in the Contacts live tile, I think that this build (I'm on Release Preview) is pretty good. I used a Lumia 950 XL in march for a review and I was very disappointed. Came back to Windows 10 Mobile with Lumia 950 and it's a completely different thing now after Anniversary Update: fast and reliable. Still some crash here and there, but more solid performance than launch.

Deleting the tile and re-pinning to start fixed my contact pics

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So far great build for me. All apps seem to be working, maps worked as expected, camera good. Blue tooth in car and wireless headphones, no issues. Only issue I had was that I have a Celfi from T-Mobile and I was in middle of call when got home and transitioning from cell tower to celfi killed call. All calls dropped after until I rebooted. May have been celfi issue, not sure on that.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Build is amazing tbh. I feel this is finally microsoft not forcing people to pay for a beta OS (mobile not desktop) my phone hasn't had one freeze or restart since ive updated a few days ago. Usually I get at least 2 per day. A lot of my apps aren't moving super slow and everything just feels like what I should've gotten last year when I bought my 950

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I've been traveling last couple of days ( and still on the road). Report: Maps: Fail!; Camera: Fail!; Receive Calls: Fail!; Bluetooth: Fail!; 5 second delay is back: Double Fail!; Photo viewing: Fail! OneNote: Fail!

And to top it off my PS3 is acting like it wants to emulate my phone. Both devices were a pain in the ***, this trip.

I'll be driving in a foreign country soon and will be relying on Maps to get me from the airport to where I'm staying and also other places while I'm away. What problems did you have with maps specifically?

Scott-In-Beaverton

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
This build 14393.5 has also been a very solid performer on my Lumia 640 LTE (RM-1073_1004). I have spent the past week using apps heavily trying to get it to fail or lock up in some way. No matter what I have tried the OS and all apps have worked as expected, no problems at all. Battery life is fantastic and the phone is very quick, snappy and responsive. Overall I find Win 10 is much better in every way than Win 8.1. As a retired engineer I am very impressed that I am getting this level of performance from a lower end phone.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'll be driving in a foreign country soon and will be relying on Maps to get me from the airport to where I'm staying and also other places while I'm away. What problems did you have with maps specifically?

Hey speccy,

Trip down:
wp_ss_20160727_0001.jpg
> Blacked-out data

> Location indicator had me about 100M is a field unlit I did a reboot.

> Would freeze during the use of the on-screen functions (e.g. zoom, north icon)

Note: ALL issues were the result of touching or picking up the phone.

RETURN Trip:
> could not select a destination from Favorites, nor History; if did, the app froze EVERY TIME (had to back out and try again, even did a reboot). Had to use Search, then start typing, after entering a few letters I could select from the list presented, hit GO, and then all was well.

> After using the phone to receive a message, incoming call, or some other function, on a number of occasions, the Maps would freeze - especially if the orientation was change during the course of doing the other function (I use Maps in the landscape mode).

> I needed to locate a store in a big shopping mall, used Cortana to show me the closest Store location, which she did, tap on the directions, Maps app froze (NEVER could find a way to use the go feature, just used the map and my position indicator to find the store).

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just jumped onto Insider Release Preview build 14393.5 on my AT&T branded 950....definitively improvements as the OS feels faster and smoother then 10586 build...Haven't had a chance to thoroughly review this entire thread...Did a hard reset as to NOT have Windows Insider app builds present...all seems ok, but will have to do more testing...One aspec/glitch that I did notice was a blank Facebook tile in the app settings...uninstalled Facebook reinstalled still there.....You can rt click on the blank Facebook tile----->to get the uninstall option but nothing happens when pressed:
wp_ss_20160731_0002.jpg

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey speccy,

Trip down:
View attachment 129020
> Blacked-out data

> Location indicator had me about 100M is a field unlit I did a reboot.

> Would freeze during the use of the on-screen functions (e.g. zoom, north icon)

Note: ALL issues were the result of touching or picking up the phone.

RETURN Trip:
> could not select a destination from Favorites, nor History; if did, the app froze EVERY TIME (had to back out and try again, even did a reboot). Had to use Search, then start typing, after entering a few letters I could select from the list presented, hit GO, and then all was well.

> After using the phone to receive a message, incoming call, or some other function, on a number of occasions, the Maps would freeze - especially if the orientation was change during the course of doing the other function (I use Maps in the landscape mode).

> I needed to locate a store in a big shopping mall, used Cortana to show me the closest Store location, which she did, tap on the directions, Maps app froze (NEVER could find a way to use the go feature, just used the map and my position indicator to find the store).

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I did try out the maps app yesterday for a car journey of about 90 mins duration, and it was fine both there and back, maybe I was just lucky, but I so hope it doesn't let me down when I'm abroad. Getting lost in ones own country is not a big deal, but getting lost in a country when you don't speak the language could be a challenge :eek:rly:

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, just jumped onto Insider Release Preview build 14393.5 on my AT&T branded 950....definitively improvements as the OS feels faster and smoother then 10586 build...Haven't had a chance to thoroughly review this entire thread...Did a hard reset as to NOT have Windows Insider app builds present...all seems ok, but will have to do more testing...One aspec/glitch that I did notice was a blank Facebook tile in the app settings...uninstalled Facebook reinstalled still there.....You can rt click on the blank Facebook tile----->to get the uninstall option but nothing happens when pressed:
View attachment 129023

I have had that exact problem at least three times. Hard reset does not eliminate it. I just abandoned 14393.5 because of heating from the OS gobbling up battery mA, bluetooth, and other things like you show. I use FB in the Edge browser so I always uninstall it and that blank tile won't go away. I did a WDRT restore because I wanted to go back to 10586.494 for various reasons. Only then did the Facebook and blank tile problem go away.

Last edited:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had this phantom program issue before too, it wasn't Facebook though, it was the Messaging app, I think it just disappeared on a future update.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
And so right on schedule i.e. about a week after installing an update, the problems begin. Having lots of issues unlocking my 950 today, nothing on the screen (not even glance) though it's clicking away like something is happening in the background, the iris scanner goes on and off during this too.

It does eventually wake up, but it's not right and took many presses before I could get anywhere. I hate to say it, but this is true to form for these mobile releases, and here was I hoping that as this was pretty much the release candidate, that these kind of issues would have been squashed by now.

On top of that, when I take a photo and then want to share it via Outlook, it keeps saying that something went wrong and that the photo is unavailable and to try again later. Trying again later does actually work, but I never had this issue before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte