Heads up ! Download size for AU !! Y U DU DIS MSFT ?? :'( :'(

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Because our update provider, dear Microsoft doesn't show how much data is being downloaded or how much free space is required before triggering an update I ran into this.

I thought I had more than 1Gb free in internal. BUT !
This happened after all the download was done and it was preparing for installation.
wp_ss_20160729_0001.png

I wish Microsoft showed download progress (data downloaded/data remaining) along with the progress bar. Or just mention how much data is going to be downloaded before it is triggered.

I managed to make some space. I hit the retry button. It is downloading again. From the start.
At least use the already downloaded data to recheck and download the remaining.
Even store apps show download data progress and download size.

In PC also, there is no way to know how much the size of an update is before you trigger the download. (Remember 7 & 8 ? )
Why are you hiding these basic info's Microsoft ?

Why can't Microsoft be more like Steam. ????????

What would people who are updating phones over their valuable data packs do if such a thing happens to them ?
Maybe it's cheap in other countries. But here it is not.
I am using an unlimited WiFi connection but it's slow. How much time is going to be wasted because of this ?

Of course I jumped to insider fast so that I could have the update on phone early. So that I could download the ISO for the PC when it is released.
I intend to update my PC via ISO since I still don't trust the update delivery system for huge updates.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
on phone you cannot, but people create hotspots using cellular data and update their pcs which is a big mistake

On phone, if you try to let it download on cellular, it will time out and do one of 2 things. If it is a small update (< 500MB), it will tell you that you are on a metered connection and need to wait for Wi-Fi, or you can download XXXMB now using your cellular connection. I've done this several times. The last update for me was under 35MB, because I've been picking up each one in Redstone incrementally.

Even so, there are people with limited wifi connection.
There are internet plans like that, which provide limited amount of data at high speed.

Exactly correct. And while you can set Wi-Fi connections as metered on a PC, you cannot do that on Mobile. This is something Microsoft needs to correct. They figured it out on PC, but think that Mobile access to Wi-Fi is automatically unlimited? The left hand knows not what the right hand is doing over there.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
On phone, if you try to let it download on cellular, it will time out and do one of 2 things. If it is a small update (< 500MB), it will tell you that you are on a metered connection and need to wait for Wi-Fi, or you can download XXXMB now using your cellular connection. I've done this several times. The last update for me was under 35MB, because I've been picking up each one in Redstone incrementally.

Exactly correct. And while you can set Wi-Fi connections as metered on a PC, you cannot do that on Mobile. This is something Microsoft needs to correct. They figured it out on PC, but think that Mobile access to Wi-Fi is automatically unlimited? The left hand knows not what the right hand is doing over there.

so if I use my phone to create a hotspot so that my pc can use that hotspot, it won't work for major updates?

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
In store we know exactly the size of an app.
So why not show the download size before the download is triggered and the download progress (data downloaded/data remaining) as well ?

And why is it that I had to download all from start again ?
Is it directly getting downloaded to the internal ?
If so why doesn't the phone automatically check for free space before download initiates instead of giving me a warning after the download is done.
Hitting retry would trigger the download again instead of using the already downloaded data ?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
In store we know exactly the size of an app.
So why not show the download size before the download is triggered and the download progress (data downloaded/data remaining) as well ?

And why is it that I had to download all from start again ?
Is it directly getting downloaded to the internal ?
If so why doesn't the phone automatically check for free space before download initiates instead of giving me a warning after the download is done.
Hitting retry would trigger the download again instead of using the already downloaded data ?

it used to show the size of update, don't know why it doesn't for your case on the phone. Maybe they removed that for the anniversary update
It might have seen space is enough for download but not for unpackaging the download.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
so if I use my phone to create a hotspot so that my pc can use that hotspot, it won't work for major updates?

Normally Windows will detect that your using a phone hotspot and set it as metered. It is best to check the connections settings and be sure that it is set to metered or unmetered depending on how you want it.

If it is set to unmetered, then Windows 10 will download major updates. If set to metered, it won't even download minor updates.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Normally Windows will detect that your using a phone hotspot and set it as metered. It is best to check the connections settings and be sure that it is set to metered or unmetered depending on how you want it.

If it is set to unmetered, then Windows 10 will download major updates. If set to metered, it won't even download minor updates.

wish that would work for programs too - you never know which program decides to autoupdate itself and you find a lot of your data gone. I usually keep my hotspot at 2G to limit speed so limiting data used

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
wish that would work for programs too - you never know which program decides to autoupdate itself and you find a lot of your data gone. I usually keep my hotspot at 2G to limit speed so limiting data used

For any program that is not a Windows Store App, I make sure I control which ones are installed and their settings for updates. If they don't allow me to control when they are updated, I don't run their software. I generally only run software that can be configured to "alert me" when an update is available, then let ME decide when to update. I never stay with the defaults on that. Lesson learned many years ago.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

THANK YOOOOOOOU for THAT. I've always been able to use my Mobile Hot Spot for normal updates like on patch Tuesdays even if over a gig or even 1.7 gigs but not able to dl Win 10 to upgrade from 8.1 on my 2 laptops. You got me lookin around and I FOUND the setting to change it to UNMETERED for the AU then I'll put it back.
THANKS!!! :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.5]

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
It's a pain when download restarts. I don't have a broadband so I was using a net setter or data card, whatever it is called for updating. Well, at 90% the data got emptied on my Internet pack and I did recharge it with additional data. But the download started from 0% again. So I checked the data usage after the restart, and it was around 3.5 GB. This means around 6.5 GB of my precious data was wasted because of this. This sucks! When will Microsoft learn a thing or 2 from other OSes?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It's a pain when download restarts. I don't have a broadband so I was using a net setter or data card, whatever it is called for updating. Well, at 90% the data got emptied on my Internet pack and I did recharge it with additional data. But the download started from 0% again. So I checked the data usage after the restart, and it was around 3.5 GB. This means around 6.5 GB of my precious data was wasted because of this. This sucks! When will Microsoft learn a thing or 2 from other OSes?

specifically which OS? Does android allow updates via cellular data (assuming they have updates) or does ios allow? If they do, are they small ones or large?
Or is this about OS for pc?

Major updates are always big, you can never trust the size of the update to be exactly what you think it is. If it is a major update, find wifi or wired net. Even if it takes a week, do that. Cellular data plans are only good enough for light browsing and social media updates, never updating software. I did that mistake years ago with updating, ate up 60USD worth of data in one sitting -never again

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
specifically which OS? Does android allow updates via cellular data (assuming they have updates) or does ios allow? If they do, are they small ones or large?
Or is this about OS for pc?

Major updates are always big, you can never trust the size of the update to be exactly what you think it is. If it is a major update, find wifi or wired net. Even if it takes a week, do that. Cellular data plans are only good enough for light browsing and social media updates, never updating software. I did that mistake years ago with updating, ate up 60USD worth of data in one sitting -never again

I was updating my PC. And wasted 90% of the download because it got interrupted. Android doesn't restart the download if it gets interrupted. That's my experience though!

Yeah, I know major updates are big and we can't trust the size but we can at least get an idea how big the download could be. As for my case, I never thought it would be 4GB tier. If I had known earlier, I would topped up the data pack. I also never thought I was gonna lose whole download progress just because of a 5 minutes interruption.

And when you don't have a broadband or free WiFi nearby (I live in a small city), you have no option to use a cellular internet pack and use it as a hotspot. It's better than not updating! :p

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I was updating my PC. And wasted 90% of the download because it got interrupted. Android doesn't restart the download if it gets interrupted. That's my experience though!

Yeah, I know major updates are big and we can't trust the size but we can at least get an idea how big the download could be. As for my case, I never thought it would be 4GB tier. If I had known earlier, I would topped up the data pack. I also never thought I was gonna lose whole download progress just because of a 5 minutes interruption.

And when you don't have a broadband or free WiFi nearby (I live in a small city), you have no option to use a cellular internet pack and use it as a hotspot. It's better than not updating! :p

well, that is how the world is. Developed nations have better wifi than cellular availability in some places while for guys like you and me, wifi can only be found in big towns/cities at expensive cafes or restaurants.

Seriously though, find a place that has wifi - can be a college, campus, cafe, restaurant, friend - any place that can give you proper speed without worrying about data used. I used to go across my town to an expensive cafe just for updates, downloads and uploads. Spend the whole day with a full bladder and cramped muscles just so that updates could finish

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
well, that is how the world is. Developed nations have better wifi than cellular availability in some places while for guys like you and me, wifi can only be found in big towns/cities at expensive cafes or restaurants.

Seriously though, find a place that has wifi - can be a college, campus, cafe, restaurant, friend - any place that can give you proper speed without worrying about data used. I used to go across my town to an expensive cafe just for updates, downloads and uploads. Spend the whole day with a full bladder and cramped muscles just so that updates could finish

Yeah, that's a chore!

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

Include me in that list as well.

Microsoft just assumes, if a person is able to afford a phone, PC, a legit OS, then why not a good internet connection.
Only us few know how some network companies in India are looting us, overcharging us.
It will always be difficult for a person living in a developing country to keep up with the technology.

Even if I have the money to get a decent connection, Eg : Spectranet and ACT who are private broadband providers who have vfm plans, they don't have service where I live.

I am forced to use another ISP which provides unlimited data without FUP at relatively cheaper rates than government ISP.

I do not know how Microsoft is going to be successful in India.
No wonder they didn't launch some of their products and services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05