Windows 10 Mobile build 15043 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)
03-23-2017 11:27 AM
- From Microsoft
Other changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile
- We fixed the issue causing the Settings app to crash when navigating to Settings > Devices and you should be able to pair a Bluetooth device without any issue. The Bluetooth quick action from Action Center should also now work again. This issue could have also resulted in decreased Flashlight quick action reliability.
- Using Continuum to connect to a display wirelessly should also work as expected.
- We fixed an issue resulting in screen rotation sometimes unexpectedly not working on the last Insider flight.
- We fixed an issue where live tiles were not updating some apps such as Outlook Mail and Calendar.
- We fixed an issue where under Settings > Update & security > Phone update Insiders might see the text “Some Settings are managed by your organization” even though the phone wasn’t being managed by an organization.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights where you couldn’t paste or drag a folder from the PC to your phone
- We fixed an issue where tapping the link for a website with an associated app would crash Microsoft Edge and not open the associated app.
- We fixed an issue where downloads from Microsoft Edge directly to an SD card might unexpectedly use space on the local phone storage as well.
- We fixed an issue where the keyboard might dismiss after a second when opening a new tab in Microsoft Edge and quickly starting to type.
- We’ve fixed an issue that could result in your personal typing dictionary being unexpectedly deleted and having to train the keyboard from scratch.
- We fixed an issue where, during the download of a phone update, after disconnecting then reconnecting to Wi-Fi due to low reception you might get an error saying the download needs a better connection to continue, despite currently being connected to a good Wi-Fi connection.
- We’ve improved the video playback experience when using Continuum for phone wirelessly over Miracast.
- The icon for Windows Insider Program under Settings > Update & security should be no longer a square.
Known issues for Mobile
- Speech packs will be unable to download on this build.
- Adding a new card / paying with an existing card will not work in Microsoft Wallet.
This build and version is the latest Redstone 2 build in testing for Mobile Insiders on the Fast Ring.
Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things build 15043, discuss it here.
[NOTE]Tip: Check out this thread before posting
Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines][/NOTE]
Is your device behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!
[TIP]Here is some useful information you may find yourself needing.
Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.
If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.
Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to the Microsoft FAQ Page for more information.
Make sure you check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support Page as well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.[/TIP]
[INFO]Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.
A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.
A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.
The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.
The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.
The Windows Device Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version[/INFO]
Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.
What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?
Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed.
[INFO]When reporting bugs/issues, please also use the Windows Feedback app to report issues directly to Microsoft. Microsoft don't actively read forums looking for people reporting issues when they have a data collection system built right into the operating system. They use WF to analyse numbers and prioritise fixes (issues with more reports, get sorted quicker).
"You can use the Windows Feedback app to tell us which features you love about your Lumia with Windows 10, or when something could be better.
1.To launch the app, swipe over to the App list, and then select Windows Feedback.
2.See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft OneDrive.
3.If you find similar feedback, tap the Upvote or tap on the feedback to open it, write the problem details to Add details-field and tap Send.
4.To narrow your search to a specific topic, you can filter the results by picking the category that matches your feedback the closest. For example, for feedback about the Microsoft OneDrive, select Apps and Games > OneDrive.
5.If you don’t find any similar feedback, tap + to add new feedback. Select the correct category and subcategory from the dropdown-list.
6.Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and tap Send.
7.Your feedback will automatically upload when you are charging your phone and connected to Wi-Fi, but you can also upload the feedback manually by tapping … > Upload feedback data."
Last edited by Muessig; 02-24-2017 at 10:51 PM.02-24-2017 06:26 PM
Sent from mTalk on 950XL02-25-2017 02:46 AM
- After reading the change log I've decided to jump onto the Fast Ring today with my daily driver, Lumia 950. I had previously been on Release Preview Ring build 14393.726.
The upgrade experience.
I changed the Ring setting from Release Preview to Fast, at 09:44am.
I forced check for updates and it took around a minute to find the latest build 15043, which then started downloading instantly.
I have screen timeout set to 5 minutes and decided not to lock the phone so that I could check the download progress bar was working, and it was.
Once it had gotten to the "Prepare to install" stage, I left the screen on for a bit to again check the download progress bar was working, and it was. It had gotten to about 10% progress when I then turned the screen off.
After a few minutes, I decided to check how far the "Prepare to install" had progressed. It was actually showing as Restart Required. I got no notification to state "Restart Required to finish installing updates", which obviously alerts to the fact that the "Prepare to install" process has reached 100%. I'm pretty sure I have had notification previously.
Anyway, I pressed the "Restart Now" button and it worked it's magic. By 10:30am the phone was ready to use on build 15043.
The Start screen was exactly as before the update. I had been wondering, as I was going from RS1 to an RS2 build, whether I would need to set up the Start screen either from scratch or even just certain aspects. Thankfully everything was as before and no work was required on my part.
It appears that all settings and custom tones have also transitioned correctly and I have not had to set any up again. For example, contact ringtones.
I noticed that a couple of apps I had previously uninstalled had been reinstalled, namely MSN Money and PowerPoint. My understanding had been that when updating from build to build these apps wouldn't reinstall. It may be that this 'feature' was first implemented in a RS2 build and that going forward from that particular RS2 build then these apps would not be reinstalled.
Other than not getting a notification that a Restart was required and it reinstalling a couple of apps, the update/install process went very smoothly and took only around 45 minutes.
Groove and Films & TV.
Somebody has mentioned both the Groove and Films & TV app giving an error code, but both open fine on my phone. I don't use Films & TV personally, but have selected "Shuffle All" within Groove to play my music and works as expected.
Outlook Mail & Calendar.
After doing a "Check for Updates", Store shows all apps are up to date.
I have version 17.7920.40508.0 of this app and remember reading an article a couple of weeks ago that the app should now show contact photos/colourful icons. Mine does not show this. Is this currently in A/B testing, so only certain Insiders have it? Or was it an only PC app feature?
I never had problems with Outlook Calendar and Mail live tiles on the Production or Release Preview builds, and so far they're functioning as normal in the couple of hours I've been using this build.
I have the Windows Central app pinned to Start as the smallest icon size, but it never showed me the number of new articles on the Production or Release Preview builds. I'm pleased to say, this is working on 15043 as it informed me that there were two new articles I hadn't read since I last looked at the app last night.
On previous Production and Release Preview builds there was a bug when I would add contacts to the breakthrough list, they would appear to save and then within an hour will have all disappeared from the list.
So far, I'm now some two hours into using this build, the contacts I added to the breakthrough list almost immediately after updating are still showing. Has the bug been fixed? I will update later in the thread if they disappear.
Notifications on PC.
I have had a couple of WhatsApp messages on my phone since updating to 15043 and have also had my Surface Pro 4 on, and the notifications have come through to my SP4 as I have set up previously.
I never had a problem with Edge favourites syncing across devices on Production or Release Preview and have tested since updating to 15043 by adding a favourite on my SP4, and it has synced to my L950.
All in all, I'm totally satisfied with the update process and, so far, the build seems stable. Only time will tell however, and I will update the thread with any negative experiences/bugs encountered as time goes by.
Edit: I should point out that my SP4 is on Production build 14393.693.
Thanks for reading!
Last edited by 13paul13; 02-25-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Added detail about SP4 build02-25-2017 06:40 AMLike 8
- I still have a weird bug with my HP Elite x3. Everything is fine, Bluetooth and etc... but when I use the official folio case to magnetically turn it off, the time on the start screen is correct but the system time stops, it's noticeable on the start screen and phone and messaging app. In addition, I lose the ability to hold down the back button for multi-tasking. Last, my screen never turns off. A soft reset fixes everything until I close the phone case to turn the phone off. Currently, I removed my phone from my case but this damn thing was 45.00 dollars.02-25-2017 06:59 AM
- Working just perfect so far... 12 hrs since upgrade.. Battery life seems to have improved from previous build... The build seems to be stable and doesnt heat the phone up as the previous one did. And yea everything works as it should..will update how the build is after a few days :) ..02-25-2017 07:08 AMLike 2
- This build has been excellent for me on my 950xl. I've been using it since yesterday and can safely say the battery life is much much better (than the last build at least). Pulling down the notification screen/action launcher is lightning fast now and Hello sign in is the fastest it's ever been and is the first time its actually been worth using now. Only bug for me so far after someone else pointed it out to me is the camera app freezes on exit sometimes and basically crashes.02-25-2017 07:09 AM
- 02-25-2017 09:11 AM
Did a soft reset with no positive result, then did a power down/up cycle which put the keyboard back on track for me.
I also saw in the change log where MS made some keyboard bug corrections, maybe a power down/up cycle is needed in some instances to reset the keyboard in some areas?02-25-2017 09:18 AM
- Can't stress this enough guys: start clean with these builds. Keep in mind there aren't many of us. So MS isn't doing this for us, they are doing it for later phones. New phones always have a clean build on them and considering how few of us there are, they will likely be new users with no backup. We are testers as insiders. We need to replicate the conditions as best a possible.02-25-2017 09:27 AM
- I still have a weird bug with my HP Elite x3. Everything is fine, Bluetooth and etc... but when I use the official folio case to magnetically turn it off, the time on the start screen is correct but the system time stops, it's noticeable on the start screen and phone and messaging app. In addition, I lose the ability to hold down the back button for multi-tasking. Last, my screen never turns off. A soft reset fixes everything until I close the phone case to turn the phone off. Currently, I removed my phone from my case but this damn thing was 45.00 dollars.
Have you installed this build? I've been staying on the slow ring on my X3.02-25-2017 11:21 AM
- Windows 10 Hub
- Windows 10 Mobile
- Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview
Windows 10 Mobile build 15043 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)
- By scionluna in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 4Last Post: 03-18-2017, 06:43 PM
- By uncuckedsupreme in forum Windows 10 MobileReplies: 27Last Post: 03-07-2017, 06:39 AM
- By Windows Central Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 02-24-2017, 04:51 PM
- By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 02-24-2017, 03:30 PM
- By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 02-24-2017, 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD