W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

gearboxes

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Reviews and Impressions

Can anyone tell me if VPN works on the 950? PPTP, L2TP and SonicWALL VPN no longer works. I am running latest build of fast insider release and in fact it has not been working for the past 3 updates.
All I want to use my phone for is email, calendar, browsing, VPN (RDP/SSH) and WebEx.
I don't care about the apps like so many people wet their pants over, but I am wetting my pants over the fact that Microsoft is releasing products and built-in functions dont work.
Hopefully on official Windows 10 devices this is working and what I would like to confirm before I dump windows mobile for good
1. VPN - does not work for any service except for Cisco AnyConnect
2. WebEx meetings - require me to join by meeting number (that's on Cisco)
3. WebEx meetings - the only way I can leave the meeting is to reset the phone (power off does not even work).
4. WiFi - have to reboot my phone 2 to 4 times a day since it would refuse to reconnect to know access points as i travel around during the day (keep on getting unable to connect and a reboot fixes it instantly)
5. Since two builds ago whatever app i select for the home screen no longer updates. Might need to fully reset my phone but I am so tired of doing it.
6. Bluetooth keyboard does not work in RDP session (using Microsoft RDP client )

I really feel sorry for the poor people who bought a 950/XL and face the above problems. Now that release date is so close and basic features dont work, I give up unless someone can confirm this is working on 950 and will be fixed for other devices to hold out a bit longer

--- Nokia 1520
Snapped my lumia 640xl in half since it was constantly rebooting itself and mainly during important tasks (up to 6 times a day). I did full resets, used the recovery tool. Ran the fix for the reboots. Im the not only one going by the posts around this. Microsoft just dont care plain and simple and the people that would have been able to help are all roaming the streets trying to find new jobs. (never ran 10 on my 640xl)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Reviews and Impressions

Can anyone tell me if VPN works on the 950? PPTP, L2TP and SonicWALL VPN no longer works. I am running latest build of fast insider release and in fact it has not been working for the past 3 updates.
All I want to use my phone for is email, calendar, browsing, VPN (RDP/SSH) and WebEx.
I don't care about the apps like so many people wet their pants over, but I am wetting my pants over the fact that Microsoft is releasing products and built-in functions dont work.
Hopefully on official Windows 10 devices this is working and what I would like to confirm before I dump windows mobile for good
1. VPN - does not work for any service except for Cisco AnyConnect
2. WebEx meetings - require me to join by meeting number (that's on Cisco)
3. WebEx meetings - the only way I can leave the meeting is to reset the phone (power off does not even work).
4. WiFi - have to reboot my phone 2 to 4 times a day since it would refuse to reconnect to know access points as i travel around during the day (keep on getting unable to connect and a reboot fixes it instantly)
5. Since two builds ago whatever app i select for the home screen no longer updates. Might need to fully reset my phone but I am so tired of doing it.
6. Bluetooth keyboard does not work in RDP session (using Microsoft RDP client )

I really feel sorry for the poor people who bought a 950/XL and face the above problems. Now that release date is so close and basic features dont work, I give up unless someone can confirm this is working on 950 and will be fixed for other devices to hold out a bit longer

--- Nokia 1520
Snapped my lumia 640xl in half since it was constantly rebooting itself and mainly during important tasks (up to 6 times a day). I did full resets, used the recovery tool. Ran the fix for the reboots. Im the not only one going by the posts around this. Microsoft just dont care plain and simple and the people that would have been able to help are all roaming the streets trying to find new jobs. (never ran 10 on my 640xl)

Ask in Insider forum, there are many happy 950 owners (and someone not obviously)

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Honest review of 950 xl on att.

I've been using the phone for about 2-3 weeks. There are a few reasons why I bought the phone:

1) specs - top of the line I'd say
2) expandable storage 200gb here
3) something different. Been using iOSsince iPhone 5
4) main reason was the camera

Now let me start with the camera. It takes amazing pictures when the circumstances are right. With good lighting and tripod, takes awesome pictures. One of the advertisements Microsoft said was that if you have an active family, it'll take great pictures with moving kids. I have two young boys. Most pictures I take of them are blurry.

Also, the camera is buggy. Good news is I do see a lot of updates in the store regarding the camera. So I suppose they are improving it slowly but surely. One of my main gripes is that when I first start the camera and take a pic, the first snap usually freezes for 3 seconds and then takes the picture. After that it takes pica quickly bit not as quickly as an iPhone.

Also, after taking a picture, adding finishing touches takes a long time.

Now on to the OS. It is very buggy but I accept that. It's not like this is the final version. Microsoft is coming out with updates more frequently than android and iOS. I see YouTube videos saying they're returning their Lumia phones etc. This is Microsoft's last chance in the mobile war.

I'll give them until October to make great strides or else I'll have to go back to iOS.

Just my quick thoughts on my Lumia 950 xl.

On a side note, ever since receiving my black leather mozo case, I like the phone a lot better.

llckll

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Also forgot to mention, app gap is horrible and apps take forever to load Aka spinning circle. I thought I could deal with the app gap but it's slowly getting to me. And apps are pretty bad compared to iOS counterpart.

Spotify is very non-responsive as well.

I do like outlook mail and calendar.

AdrianGroza

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft Lumia 435 with the latest windows 10 release preview ring.Things improved over windows 8.1:
-Much better bluetooth connectivity.I used to have major issues pairing multiple bluetooth devices to the phone(not at the same time).I had a nokia bh 101,an AKG k830 Bt stereo headset and a Jawbone Jambox speaker as my main devices and in many cases when turning on one of the devices the phone tried to connect to another.Under windows 10 things are working flawlessly and the pairing is almost instantaneous.
Things that are worse than windows 8.1
-Improved hotspot,it is much more stable than on wp 8.1
-Cortana:she is extremely laggy,has a hard time understanding me,in many cases she stops listening after 1 word or she listens for very long periods of time (2 mins or more) rendering her useless.She is also incapable of automatically turning on quiet hours,and does not respect the time when asked to remind me to do something (I had her to remind me to water the flowers at 8 am and she woke me at 3 am in the morning).Also,under quiet hours my alarm does not ring.
-The sms app is very very slow,i see loading times all the time.
-The peoples app ignores the system theme,if i select a contact to see details i see it on a red background regardless of colour.
-Mail is very slow when synced to multiple email accounts.It seems to have an unreasonable time delay when using yahoo mail (it syncs every 30 mins or so).
-Wifi sense does not automatically connect to a known wifi network if I disable wifi within that network's range.
-Start menu tiles stutter,reverting to the start screen from an app using the windows logo buton makes it slow or in rare cases makes tiles texts go invisible (reboot required).
-Groove music app skips music files,or it has a very slow update process when creating and updating playlists.
-battery life is horrendous and the battery saver setting is completely ignored (regardless of percentage)
-Enabling rotation lock and then disabling it causes the screen to go in landscape mode regardless of the screen position (if i shake the phone it comes back to normal)
-facebook gets stuck to a certain posting (it starts there but displays notifications).
-facebook messenger gets stuck on a daily basis,and is very slow when writing text (it lags behind me).

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
My review of Windows 10 Mobile is that it's completely missing the main features I need. I often spend up to 10 hours a day in the car for work. Unfortunately there is almost no functionality for using the phone in a car. Bluetooth it's very broken as it can't read messages via Skype in the messaging app. It does not support MirrorLink. All I can do is play some music via Bluetooth. Until Microsoft has a real strategy for the automotive space, I will not be buying another phone running Windows.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I am really surprised by many of you saying the OS is laggy.
I have Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Lumia 630 and it works perfectly fine, no lags that are caused by OS itself.

Alacorn

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
That's a disaster, can't use damn thing as a normal phone now, can't add contacts manually - People Hub crashes on my 930 and can't see the old contacts, even after importing them form my redundant WP7.8 device.

I would rather wait for more few months than see this...

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got it and am starting to find my way around Lumia 930 here. The more settings seem a bit overwhelming and there's actually too much going on imo. I actually prefer the triple dot drawer to move the entire bottom bar up instead of just an overlay moving up with the options while the bar stays put, especially since the bar moves a tiny bit. It was a bit confusing seeing that. It does feel a bit laggier unfortunately compared to 8.1. On the plus side at least I get all the updates apps now which already are way better than the 8.1 versions.

jgch

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I found one improvement: searching my company contacts from the phone app. Really helpful, but does not match with Android which automatically searches all the repositories.

Really annoying is the handling of accounts:
  • Except for the holy Microsoft account, all accounts were gone
  • Apperantly, MS did some changes in the Exchange client. I was not able to setup an Exchange account for Google Apps.
  • Without asking, the W10M update created an Outlook accout for my MS user. WTF????

The overall impression of the GUI is ok. Appart from the live tiles, it still lags Android. Especially in details, Android is much more than one step ahead. Why do I have to care I have stored a certain contact. Android solves that. On W10M, I still have to specifically search each directory.

If you ask me to give a grade, it would be around 2 (Swiss grading). Nice try, not a total disaster, but close.

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To me it is great that my lowly BLU got the update but it is a disaster to me.
The whole process took 4hrs, 1/2 the app don't work, I had 3 mail boxes for different email account and they're all f'ed up, camera app don't have tap and shot, multi language keyboard...it use to just press the EN button now it have to wipe the space bar why is it a good idea?

1/5 rating.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Quick update. My phone managed to update to build.164 and that plus some settling seems to have eliminated the lagginess for the most part

Lord Chabelo

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm giving up on Win 10 on my 640 XL. Internet sharing does not work for more than 3 seconds. I can just reset to factory settings and I should get Win 8.1 back, right?

Patata Johnson

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
OK, gave up on Windows 10 Mobile after trying it on a Lumia 1520 for 4 days. It's a shame how the software destroys the experience on such a beautiful and still powerful peace of hardware.

First of all it still reboots randomly, or the device overheats without any apps running (or at least none in the task view)
Glance Screen refuses to work at all.
Rich Capture in Windows Camera is broken, shows strange white lines on every picture. Under WP8.1 and even with Lumia Camera under Windows 10 there is no such issue.
A lot of games have grafical glitches or refuse to work at all. Same for a lot of apps. Twitter, even after its latest update marks an old notification as new every time I start up the app (same on Win 10 Desktop)
The UI is a total mess on a large device. Hamburger menus without sliding, one handed mode that's worse than the one on my 5" Android. Action Center without landscape support (gosh that looks so wrong and unfinished)

Alexander Shapiro

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I have installed Windows 10 mobile on Lumia 1520. Used it for one day. Everything worked smoothly. However, at the end of the day I returned to 8.1. There are missing features in 10 which make it useless for me.

1. The Mobile Office requires now subscription for Office 365. That is, in order to edit documents on Lumia, I have to pay the same amount monthly as I pay for my mobile abonnement. I do not need Office 365 on any other device: I have a work computer with Office 2013 Professional. I would not like to pay for something which is free in Android, and which was previously free in WP.

2. There were alternative office applications (like OpenOffice Writer), but they have suddenly lost a possibility to open a file. Thus, no Office for me in WP10.

3. I have a beloved radio station who publishes podcasts. I am using to download them, freely and legally, and to listen during the breaks in my work day. This has become impossible with Edge. In stead of downloading a music file, it opens the file in another window and wants playing it immediately. If you do not play it, it disappears with time. I tried another browser; it shows that the file gets downloaded. But then this file just disappears.

So, after transferring to WP10 I have stayed without word editing and without sound. Why then I need it?

WP8.1 and WP10 are well designed interfaces. But as regards to features, they are still much behind even of Android 4, which has an open file system, free and advanced WPS office, and lots of browsers and music players. What a shame.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have installed Windows 10 mobile on Lumia 1520. Used it for one day. Everything worked smoothly. However, at the end of the day I returned to 8.1. There are missing features in 10 which make it useless for me.

1. The Mobile Office requires now subscription for Office 365. That is, in order to edit documents on Lumia, I have to pay the same amount monthly as I pay for my mobile abonnement. I do not need Office 365 on any other device: I have a work computer with Office 2013 Professional. I would not like to pay for something which is free in Android, and which was previously free in WP.

This is a known issue, uninstall the Office apps Word, Excel and Powerpoint and reinstall it all from the Store.

It should fix that issue.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This is a known issue, uninstall the Office apps Word, Excel and Powerpoint and reinstall it all from the Store.

It should fix that issue.

I rebooted my phone and that seemed to have fixed that issue.
After a bit more time with w10 I think I can conclude that it's like a more option filled/. Somewhat more complex wp8.1 it pretty much had just made me realize how much simpler wp8.1 was to navigate around. The seems to be additional layers of hidden stuff and/. The same options for move around to his under layers of tabs per say. It does seem much more refined but also more complex in the process compared to 8.1. It definitely feels much more inline with win10 desktop though compared to how 8.1 felt with its desktop counterpart

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999