Windows 10 mobile - the ugliest future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Whereas I am new to this forum, I have been following Microsoft and Windows development from the late 90's, the age of the "dot com" boom, and I have been in the field of IT for 20 years of my adult life.

I must say that this has got to be the single most ignorant and uneducated thread I have ever seen posted in a forum. Just because they took away ONE feature you 'loved' in the absolute earliest technical builds for WP, doesn't mean it is gone. WP 10 won't be done until "later this year" - that is a long way away from slapping down a judgement of "ugly"...

You, sir, need to recognize that and have some patience.

The thing he was talking about is being killed off and has been getting killed off for a while. The speculation would be that it could come back, I think we'll see square people tiles come back and consistent use of the dark theme before the Me tile returns to what it had been in 8.0.

But it goes to a long standing joke on here that Microsoft keeps removing features that people love most about the platform. I've seen it myself since the release of 8.0. Sure, new good things also come along but I've had plenty of WTF moments after performing updates. Major functionality just disappears.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
so true. so many Cry bides and whiners. How many times MS has side, THIS IS NOT THE FINAL RELEASE, and it may not be stable. We still have several months to go, and these people are BoooHoooing already. OMGosh.

Are you serious ? You are expecting win 10 to completely change its design direction and head back to 8 era? Even Though its a preview build,it does hints you about the future design and if you are waiting for your feedbacks to be heardthen i am feeling sorry for you...get ready to be dissapointed.....

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I can agree with you to a point. I actually have no issues with new/evolved "look" of WP10. Things evolve, some ways of doing things change over time, So be it.

My quarrel and frustration with MS has to do with the discontinuing of what were, in my opinion (and Microsoft's too if you watch their marketing from WP7 time), key features to the way WP operated (People Hub, FB/Twitter integration into the OS, ext). My concern now is that MS is taking WP in a direction that is too similar to Andriod and iOS and that's an app centric model. You lose the consistancy in the way things work with this model. I'm not sure if you have experience with the fluidity and baked in integration of WP7/8.0, but it was wonderful to be able to see all of your FB and Twitter feeds in one place and post to them in the same spot via the People Hub. Sure it lacked all of the features of the app, bit that's not the point. It was very useful for 80% of my usage of FB and Twitter. I could use my tablet or laptop for the rest.

Also, MS has a history of discontinuing hardware and features with no backward compatibility, ie WP7 to 8 conversion. I was one of the ones stuck with a new Lumia 900 (which I loved by the way). This way of doing things works in the US and some other Western countries that rely on subsidies and a 2 year upgrade cycle. But for us in countries that pay hundreds for a phone, we'd like to see it last a few years without the worry of being left behind with old, nonupdated apps and features. Tech moves fast enough without having the powers-that-be build in planned obsolescence.

Anyway, rant over..cheers! :)

Exactly! My biggest complaint with msft is the same as yours....why on the earth are they removing all the coolest and most unique features from wp?

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I missed why it was being screwed by MS IMO. You don't like the way it is evolving? You don't like what exactly?

The WHAT has a long list of thing.....some of them.
The new ****** ui , killing of me tile , the new photos app ( please dont tell me if thats going to update an be fixed ) , etc...specially that ****** round profile pics.....and for god sake dont start that preview build drama again....i undersall this but none of you can deny that this things wont change as much as you are saying.....

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: The ugliest future....

No, Akssingh is absolutely correct. Windows 10 is HORRIBLE. Not because it's a work in progress. It's horrible because that's how Microsoft is DESIGNING it. They are making very specific DESIGN CHOICES that are ugly and user-spiteful. I am beyond angry about the loss of the Me Tile and pivots and addition of the IDIOTIC hamburger button (there is NO reason at all why they couldn't have simply expanded upon the use of the Ellipses to do what the Hamburger button does).

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
as soon as I see that huge 12v engine and tons of electronics and carbon fiber parts I know that's gonna be a hell of a car, the same happens with wp10, I see what they are doing and... you telling me they are going to do a 180? turn when the time comes? lol

Yeah......nice to see some people are smart enough here to look out of their fantasy world where msft does all.....😃

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
For your INFORMATION, I have been using both the Windows 10 for PCs and Windows 10 Mobile SINCE THE PREVIEWS WERE FIRST AVAILABLE. I can say, without ANY reservation, that I HAVE seen "hot it works"---and it works like CRAP. It LOOKS like crap, too. It is DESIGNED like crap by people who have exactly THAT for BRAINS -- starting with Satya. I have given it a chance and it sucks. I don't believe it will ever NOT suck. Why? Because I was SO ready to see Windows 7 go buh-bye and Windows 8 to be the future. And then Microsoft totally puked all over it.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Um....have you actually USED it? Do you even have a clue what you're talking about? I've been using the previews for both PC and Phone since they were first available. I'm speaking from experience, buddy. Don't you DARE give me that ignorant "wait until it comes out" garbage. WE ARE SEEING EXACTLY HOW IT'S GOING TO BE right now. And it sucks compared to how awesome Windows 8.1 is. "Halfway to completion" my hind end! You're out of your mind.

vikassolankiii

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
windows mobile os is going to die as no developers are interested, now there is one option for all windows mobile user to shift to Apple iphone, apple ios is more stable and all most all developers are there

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Um....have you actually USED it? Do you even have a clue what you're talking about? I've been using the previews for both PC and Phone since they were first available. I'm speaking from experience, buddy. Don't you DARE give me that ignorant "wait until it comes out" garbage. WE ARE SEEING EXACTLY HOW IT'S GOING TO BE right now. And it sucks compared to how awesome Windows 8.1 is. "Halfway to completion" my hind end! You're out of your mind.

Reminds me of those people who believed XP should have never been born when Windows 98 was the best of everything. lol. Anyway, I see how its going to be and its fantastic. It just works. You talk like you won't be there but we both know you'll be right there installing and loving it like everybody else Scub.

romancos

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I like W10TP over WP8.1, problem was I had chance to use very early build 10046 so while I liked overall idea, the rest wasn't so fluid and flawless as the final release shall be. And most of the WP8.1 apps worked there enough to get initial impression. Looking forward for W10 for WP.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
They should stress performance and compatibility. If my previous apps don't work, I'm not interested. They should also "teach" the advantages of using their software. For instance, I don't know what to do with Cortana. Besides, Cortana doesn't work with the language I've chosen.

NangFTW

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Reading this thread makes me so ******* sad. Can we all stop behaving like the design change IS THE END OF THE ******* WORLD? It's different, yes. Is it better? That is up to you to decide. In my opinion, it looks better. I like the circles, I like the use of more white backgrounds, I like the hamburger menus. It's all personal preference. Is it similar to Android/iOS? Yes, it is, it's not as original as the old design. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Again, that is up to you to decide. Is it harder to use? Umm...is really an extra tap on the screen that big of a problem?

I PERSONALLY like the design direction they chose to go with. What I hope they focus on is functionality and stability. I want a fast, smooth and functional operating system. WP 8.1 feels limited to me, feels like a beta, like a part of something much bigger and better. And W10 seems like a giant step forward in that regard.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
What is exactly ugly?

The unnecessary hamburger menu in the top left corner, the less stylish headers, the cheesy circle profile pictures, the lack of pivots in Outlook, the lack of a dark theme in Outlook, the badly designed wireframe icons, the pathetic tiny battery icon. This is like 8.1 if it was hit in the face with a shovel.

It's amazing how well 8/8.1 were designed and how little of that MS is using in W10. You'd think MS fired the old design team and brought a bunch of ex-Google people in to make their own Franken-OS. Maybe for some it's "new and refreshing" but for those that came to WP to get away from this garbage it's like a sick joke.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
So i would suggest the ones who known Microsoft has designers "With that as Brains" and only make W10 on purposes user unfriendly, to leave the total windows platform at all. Because why in the world would you willingly use products from a company who has (only) "With that kind of Brains" people.

Now everyone has the right on his or hers opinion and let us know it.
But if you are so convinced Microsoft goes to something you do not want at all using "insults" will not change that at all.

Last edited:

goaty1992

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
For your INFORMATION, I have been using both the Windows 10 for PCs and Windows 10 Mobile SINCE THE PREVIEWS WERE FIRST AVAILABLE. I can say, without ANY reservation, that I HAVE seen "hot it works"---and it works like CRAP. It LOOKS like crap, too. It is DESIGNED like crap by people who have exactly THAT for BRAINS -- starting with Satya. I have given it a chance and it sucks. I don't believe it will ever NOT suck. Why? Because I was SO ready to see Windows 7 go buh-bye and Windows 8 to be the future. And then Microsoft totally puked all over it.
You speak as if you're the only one using the TP. Windows is made to target more than a billion users, not just several ones. It's called business. Windows 8.1 might be great TO YOU, but look at the market share. MS don't need you to like W10. They need the majority of people to like it.
Don't get me wrong, I love my W8.1. But W10 really shows that MS are brave enough to change themselves and move on. Does it look ugly? Personal opinion I guess. Does it look more like Android? Maybe yes, but so what? As long as it attracts more users, MS will go with it. And it's gonna be an awesome OS with loads of new features. So you might express your anger here, but stop being conservative and MOVE ON!

Ivo Cunha

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I agree also. It is pretty ugly and just doesn't fit as well as in desktop. I think an Android phone is my future to use with a Windows 10 desktop. Apple stuff never.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz