Do a Hard Reset After Initial Install BEFORE You Panic

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've learned from the last three builds is that for whatever reason the initial install doens't quite drive home the nail. It's happened during all three of my initial installs. Each time a hard reset did the trick. Today after installing 10136 It wouldn't even roegocnize my sim after the initial install. The phone icon said "no phone" and was totally unresponsive. Furthermore, the rest of the start screen looked incomplete, as if it didn't make it all the way through on the first try when installing apps.

Hard reset, all is well. Try it before you start cursing out Microsoft lol.

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know at which point you can do a hard reset before it actually completes, so it doesn't have to go through the migration and all that again? Once insider pulls down the install and reboots and you get the gears, if you do a hard reset at that point will it give you clean install rather than upgrade?

EDIT: Well, I can confirm you can't do it WHILE the gears are spinning. That just causes the upgrade to fail and take you back to the first OS ;) I guess you have to wait until the migration starts, then try it?

Last edited:

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
There are duplicate phone tiles. The one that reads, "Off," is the one that's initially on the Start Screen and will not work. You have to go to the All Apps list and pin the other one to Start.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My only problem with a hard reset is I lost the extra settings in the settings menu, where glance etc are at.

You are not alone, my friend. I would love to perform a reset on my 1320, but I cannot access the settings. :(
Damn you, Microsoft!!! ha ha ha Just kidding. I take full responsibility for my willingness to participate in this technical preview. :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You are not alone, my friend. I would love to perform a reset on my 1320, but I cannot access the settings. :(
Damn you, Microsoft!!! ha ha ha Just kidding. I take full responsibility for my willingness to participate in this technical preview. :)

I accept responsibility too. Now that I've lost my new Toshiba tablet I'm going to sit this TP out and read.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If you cannot access the Settings screen to do a Hard Reset - simply use the button method for your device. It involves powering down the device and then holding down specific buttons while you turn the unit back on - then using a sequence to initiate a hard reset. Just google your device + "hard reset" to get the sequence.

For example, on an HTC One M8 for Windows: Turn the power off / Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button. Release the VOLUME DOWN button when you see an icon on the screen. / Then press the following hardware buttons in sequence: VOLUME UP > VOLUME DOWN > POWER > VOLUME DOWN

Edit - Make sure you have a full charge before doing this! If you don't then make one small change: Instead of pressing POWER briefly while holding down VOLUME DOWN, connect your charger cable while holding down VOLUME DOWN (which powers it on).

Edit 2: Apparently the same sequence works for the Lumia 1520, and likely other Lumias.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes the Lumia specific settings end up being in the app list after the hard reset. Also glance for example disappears in that list after first use:O

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT... Once you do hard reset go to store beta and tap on check for updates.. Wait for the apps to be updated... Once everything is done it will have lesser bugs

luvkv

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ya I did hard rest my Lumia 735.. And even udated my app from store beta.. After an hour.. Half of app like window central.. Store beta.. Contacts.. Hotmail.. They stop responding..
I struggled for 6 hours.. And now I am back to 8.1

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
DO A HARD RESET....unless you are on lumia 535. that phone is basically ruined by this windows 10 tp. they still didnt fixed the dialog boxes in portrait mode so you cannot do a hard reset.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT... Once you do hard reset go to store beta and tap on check for updates.. Wait for the apps to be updated... Once everything is done it will have lesser bugs

If you don't, they will upgrade silently in the background, you'll just wonder why the phone is warm and apps crash frequently or close out while being updated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans