Android powered Microsoft Phone - Would you buy?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No. I prefer stock Android, or the ability to use launchers of my own preference. I dislike Android devices that are skinned by OEMs.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I voted yes, but a more precise answer would be that I would throw a Microsoft phone in the mix for consideration. When I buy a phone, I don't choose a manufacturer and then choose from their offerings. In fact, I really couldn't care less who the manufacturer is. I go by the overall phone and its features, also considering price.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No because I want the whole package down to the core rather than just reskinned Android with MS apps as of now. Could the answer change? Perhaps.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My two Android based tablets remind me everyday why NO is my answer. I honestly don't understand why Android has a fan base, but that's another thread on another forum.

If MS dumps Windows on phones, I'm not sure where I'll go.

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
No. I prefer stock Android, or the ability to use launchers of my own preference. I dislike Android devices that are skinned by OEMs.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Ugh. I hate how manufacturers just do whatever the hell they like to the operating system, this is why I've used custom ROMs like CyanogenMod and OmniRom for the last 9 months.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't buy it for the reason stated above. Also, why would Microsoft sell phones with an OS made by one of their biggest rivals?

Raymond Lavertue

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Definitely not. I don't see any logic to it. I moved away from Android because I don't like it and prefer Windows mobile, not necessarily for the hardware, though that is very good. I dislike Android however its disguised. My last Android tablet was an Asus with a Zen UI and it was awful. Huawei also customizes Android but Windows Phone is still far better. If Microsoft stopped producing Windows phones, and I definitely don't think it will, I would reactivate my unsupported 2010 Palm Pre Plus with its Palm OS, still my favorite mobile phone ever, at least until Cityman and Talkman are released, and perhaps even then.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
No. Android is too insecure and not updated centrally like Apple and Microsoft do.
Any evidence for that and how it affects you?
Well I also wouldn't go with a Android device manufactured by Microsoft.
I agree with you all that some vendors customize their android way too much. But there's always a Google Nexus with "pure" Android. I recently switched from L1520 to Nexus and not regret at all!

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
No!
Over here in Nigeria, we have a saying: " If it's not Panadol, it's not the same thing as Panadol." If it's not Windows in and out, I'm not using. I can't put up with the over customization of Android devices that makes them lag

Meanwhile, some say to get/enjoy the best of Android, go for stock Android like the Nexus. But then, I've seen/heard even the Nexus hang/lag.

tariqsaad16

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I will buy one if Microsoft allows to customize phone into win10 style or pure android style but the os should be mixing of both android and win 10 with one store

TheSteve87

May 7, 2015
Visit site
my answer is no, but i think we will never see a microsoft device powered by android. dual boot devices? maybe

we will definitely see "nokia" devices powered by android, but nokia will just be a name on those since the original quality and design of lumia phones are now microsoft's propriety

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Absolutely not. I buy Microsoft because of Windows Phones, and because their Windows Phones are the best, and most supported.
If I really wanted Android I'd buy a Motorola (since they're pure Android), or maybe an LG or HTC.
But I want a Windows Phone. So I buy... A Windows Phone (gasp shock horror drama ohmgosh).

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
If Windows 10 Mobile disappeared, or became an incredibly unappealing option somehow (no new hardware?), then I'd be put into a tight spot. I like the iPhone hardware, but can't stand iOS. I actually like Android, but don't want to use Google services. So in that circumstance I would probably look at using an AOSP-based phone like the OnePus One. I really don't see Microsoft developing and selling Android-based phones in the future, even if they are AOSP.

That said... iOS is changing for the better as of late. A lot of the unilateral decision making that always turned me off from the company's offerings seems to be giving way. And iPhone hardware is very compelling.

I guess the simple answer is no. Not any time soon, at least.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna take a slightly different approach to my no. While I'm sure MS would likely offer a largely stock experience with their own bloatapps added on, I'm not sure I'd want to buy one regardless. I don't think Microsoft's current hardware line up in terms of designs and features offers enough to make me consider them over other Android brands. I personally do not see their current design language being strong enough to give them a real leg up compared to LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola, and with the resurgence of Nokia? Market is hyper competitive, and MS' rather slow development of their hardware would quickly leave them in the dust.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I would not buy it because Windows phone flagships have a lesser spec
(which is good enough for windows OS). Or in other words the current windows flagship would be no android flagship but a (high) mid level spec for android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros