Windows 10 Mobile 10149 : Don't Install : Lumia 920

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
This is the second time I am rolling back to windows phone 8.1 after trying the windows 10 updates in my lumia 920. Previously I used windows 10 phone build 1st and 2nd version but due to the poor performance and thousands of bugs in 2nd version of windows 10 update I decided to roll back to windows phone 8.1 and then I realized the peace and satisfaction of a stable build. That day I decided never to try windows 10 phone preview builds again however when the 10149 build came , as expected I was reluctant to try out the build, but then I saw the article from Daniel
Hands on with Windows 10 Mobile build 10149 (And should you install?) | Windows Central and thought to give it a go as this article made me feel that this version is compatible for daily driver phones. However I realized the pain of using this build for last 3 days, and from my experience , atleast to the people who own a lumia 920, i can give you an advise to never try windows 10 10149 , as the issues will be somewhat like the one's mentioned below.

1. Never ever install this crap build in your daily driver phone.
2. The battery life is pathetic and it wont even hold for more than half an hour. The battery charging however will take hours , for me it was 4 hours.
3. Mail app is a disaster . I agree its a preview. but guys MAIL app is serious disaster. you can't think of using the mails if you rely on phone for daily mails.
4. OneNote is disappointing . I personally rely on one note on daily basis and believe me your one note experience would be horrible in this build.
5. if you search for apps you can enter only enter letter , then again you need to wait for apps to show in list mode and then enter second letter. if you have all apps in live tile start screen , you won't face this problem as u don't need to search for apps by sliding right.
6.Which ever app you search for in store , it will perfectly redirect you to music store .its ridiculous.
7.Lagging. Lagging and lagging. however its improved version of lagging because its slightly better than previous builds. After trying all 3 windows phone preview builds in lumia 920 I can proudly tell you that it is a great way to test your patience level
8.Some apps will crash before opening. For ex: truecaller
9.Resuming... Loading.. if you wanna see these being displayed In your phone frequently, give it a shot.
10. You should be lucky enough if the Os can identify your contacts when they call you . I was lucky because it detected my parents perfectly. But most of my friends were angry with me as I had to tell . Who is calling ?

Ok I stop with this 10 but I guess you can atleast imagine the pain I would have gone through if I had to write all these points. The list can go on but since I have better things to do today, I am stopping here.

Still if you wanna give it a shot , 1 more thing I can say is , if you ever want to restore it back , boom you might face a screen with "Keep resoring" or "exit restoring" buttons . This means you cannot restore the start screen and may settings . So you end up creating your start screen from scratch .

So I hope It was useful . To keep it simple.

Never Ever Use Windows Mobile 10149 In Lumia 920 If Its A Daily Driver. Rest of the phones I cant comment as I have no idea. I definitely don't want to try also in my remaining lumia models after this experience.

IEhrgeizI

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Maybe don't install any builds until rtm as you clearly can't handle being part of a program like this. Hope that's useful.

0000alex0000

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree with OP. You peeps, especially WC authors, should seriously stop bull****ting about how these preview builds are good for daily usage. Be responsible for whatever the crap that comes outa your mouth and your writings. No kidding.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's all a matter of tolerance of bugs.

I threw it on my 920 which was since relegated to secondary device status.
It was OK. Not as great, but OK. The first install was bad so I had to nuke it and upgrade from 8.1 again. But hey, if you demand the responsiveness I do, don't do it yet. It's well along the path to xandros9 approval, but eh.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This build IS good for everyday use. I'm using everyday on my 1520. You complain about battery on a 920 that's old and battery hasn't been changed since it was made? Maybe its YOUR phone. Others have made out ok. So trying to tell ppl not to install something is childish.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
This build IS good for everyday use. I'm using everyday on my 1520. You complain about battery on a 920 that's old and battery hasn't been changed since it was made? Maybe its YOUR phone. Others have made out ok. So trying to tell ppl not to install something is childish.

I am complaining about battery only when the preview build is on and not with wp 8.1 . May be it is my phone but may be not as well. That's the reason i decided to explain the experience. If others have made out OK with Lumia 920 i am really happy for them but it doesn't justify the statement that telling people not to install is childish. Its a preview and its likely to have bugs. Agreed but when its stated that its good for daily usage the problem begins there.

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My phone lumia 1520 is my main phone. It's alright and no big problem for my daily usage. Last 2 months I change my battery because rapid battery drain start from from 100% to 20% in 1 hour if I'm using IE or gaming. That's hardware problem (fat battery).

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am complaining about battery only when the preview build is on and not with wp 8.1 . May be it is my phone but may be not as well. That's the reason i decided to explain the experience. If others have made out OK with Lumia 920 i am really happy for them but it doesn't justify the statement that telling people not to install is childish. Its a preview and its likely to have bugs. Agreed but when its stated that its good for daily usage the problem begins there.

I understand, but your title seems kinda too in your face. I've had better luck just updating from whatever OS number I was at. sometimes you have to wait a long time before everything works right, like for the jittering, crashes, etc. Doing a hard reset after updating makes things worse for me.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This makes me think you weren't right for the Insider Preview whatsoever. You knew what you were potentially getting into when you installed a technical preview onto your phone. Windows 10 Mobile isn't even an alpha, really. It's before that point. No one said it was a guaranteed success for daily driver. No one has said that anyone can go in and use this without any issues. People HAVE said that if you know what you're doing, and you're prepared for any issues, you can install on your daily driver. At your OWN risk.
Telling people not to install Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10149 just because you had issues that you couldn't handle is a clear indication (in my eyes) that the Insider Preview wasn't for you in the first place. Especially since you installed on your daily driver (I believe you said you have other Lumias, why would you install a technical preview on your daily driver?).
Forgive me for sounding harsh, but nothing you said was a reason to not join the Insider Preview. It was just complaining. If someone knows what they're doing, and they're prepared to potentially lose a device or face glitches, bugs, performance and battery life hits, and countless other possible issues, then Microsoft would love to have you, because there's never enough feedback. No other OS does what Windows 10 Mobile is doing. Let's use it.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree with OP. You peeps, especially WC authors, should seriously stop bull****ting about how these preview builds are good for daily usage. Be responsible for whatever the crap that comes outa your mouth and your writings. No kidding.

You should be responsible for the choices you make to participate or not participate in the developers preview program. We're supposed to be testing so that we can provide useful feedback to Microsoft so that they can iron out bugs and improve the software so that the final version will be as good as it can be. Always install at your own risk and be prepared to either roll with what you get, providing feedback along the way, or reverting back to WP 8.1 if you believe the bugs are too rampant to even continue evaluating.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
.......... but it doesn't justify the statement that telling people not to install is childish. Its a preview and its likely to have bugs. Agreed but when its stated that its good for daily usage the problem begins there.

It may or may not be good for daily use. It is, at the end of the day, still a developer preview version. The purpose of the developer preview versions is to solicit feedback from as many users as possible about bugs, user experience, etc. If you joined the developer preview program and downloaded the software because you wanted the "latest and greatest", that is your choice. If that is the case, then you have the option to revert back. I used the 10149 version on my M8 for about a week, providing feedback to Microsoft along the way. I reverted back to 8.1 yesterday evening because I was done with my testing. I will likely install and test the next version as well.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
This is why i cant stand public Beta. Stick with those who understand what Beta means. This just gives negative POV before public release.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had the first build (the one for only the Lumia 630), I've had the build after that (then reverted back to Windows Phone 8.1 because of heavy battery drain), skipped the build after that because I heard off some bugs that I didn't want to mess with, now on the latest one.

Oh, all this with a Lumia 920 by the way.

This build is definitely the best when it comes to responsiveness, but there is still heavy battery drain (not as heavy as the second build though, so I'll stick this one out), and yeah, apps crash about once a day, but it's manageable, and I'm alright with it. It isn't a finished product, and won't be for some months ahead, but it has gotten better, no point in denying that.

Yes, this is my daily driver, and I'm enjoying Windows 10 Mobile.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Op, from what I read, sans the obvious bugs in this build, most of the problems you're having was caused by you. that's an observation and not a slight against you. I started a thread about my efforts with my 920 and 10136 which is now running 10149 and could change your mind...sans the build bugs that is.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Works fantastic on my gf's 920. Smoother than 8.1 and literally none of the issues you are taking about. Also runs great on my 1520. We both use this build on our daily drivers and have very little problems or issues.
You and a few others just got unlucky. It's life.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is the second time I am rolling back to windows phone 8.1 after trying the windows 10 updates in my lumia 920. Previously I used windows 10 phone build 1st and 2nd version but due to the poor performance and thousands of bugs in 2nd version of windows 10 update I decided to roll back to windows phone 8.1 and then I realized the peace and satisfaction of a stable build. That day I decided never to try windows 10 phone preview builds again however when the 10149 build came , as expected I was reluctant to try out the build, but then I saw the article from Daniel
Hands on with Windows 10 Mobile build 10149 (And should you install?) | Windows Central and thought to give it a go as this article made me feel that this version is compatible for daily driver phones. However I realized the pain of using this build for last 3 days, and from my experience , atleast to the people who own a lumia 920, i can give you an advise to never try windows 10 10149 , as the issues will be somewhat like the one's mentioned below.

1. Never ever install this crap build in your daily driver phone.
2. The battery life is pathetic and it wont even hold for more than half an hour. The battery charging however will take hours , for me it was 4 hours.

This is where I stopped reading.

Odih Nuhu

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
That is a serious issue. I have always loved to try it on my Lumia 928, but I am somewhat afraid. What is the size of the Windows 10, build 10149?

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This thread has got a lot of people on the defensive!

These builds are preview builds. My experience had been similar to that of the original poster in that I find this build, and frankly all builds so far, to be very painful and in no way ready for use in my primary device (it is installed on my backup 920). It is so painful that I don't even like using my 920, even for just 20 minutes at the end of the day.

Every once in a while I have read some thread which talks about how great or smooth the new build is. So I try out the build. And my experience has been so bad that it certainly makes me think I must have the wrong build out be doing something wrong.

So, I am in agreement with the poster about the build. And it is a total mystery to me how anyone could find the build usable as a daily driver. Maybe it works ok on other models and not the 920. Two simple examples: Scrolling down my home screen always stops mid-scroll and then jumps back up. And, JITTERS esp on the lock screen.

The poster is not crazy, nor a jerk. And he is not alone in his experiences.

vahiddanny

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
yes u r right buddy. Main problem with me is Store beta error 0x80070003. I m not able to download any apps. Everything i can deal with but this problem sucks me. So many apps are in pending
queue. And main thing i'm not getting any help how to overcome from this issue.

Please tell me if u can solve this issue.

oljo01

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
yes u r right buddy. Main problem with me is Store beta error 0x80070003. I m not able to download any apps. Everything i can deal with but this problem sucks me. So many apps are in pending
queue. And main thing i'm not getting any help how to overcome from this issue.

Please tell me if u can solve this issue.

Well for me everything works and i am on a 920, to overcome all issues do not hard reset after you have installed windows 10 10149, i did a clean install of 8.1 and updated to 10149 without hard resetting, then you need to go to the beta store and update all apps, that's going to take som time but after that its working great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3