Reasons to move from Android to WP?

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I will soon be getting a new phone and I am considering Windows Phone, I had WP 7.5 before and I didn't like it, but I want to give Windows 10 for Phones as Microsoft has seemed to improve. Anyway, I would like to know some reasons as to why I shouldn't stay on Android.

HXD

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
As of now, Windows Phone 10 is not that good. And I myself am considering switching to Android... You shouldn't base your choice on my opinion though. Wait for more people to drop by...

Trq20

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone now improving with windows 10 , more powerfull, and flexible, universal apps, continuum, advance camera on lumia, Android is also good, but need take care of system especially with ram, like it dont have memory management, poor performance, Except apps availability on their store, that's it.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
There are no definitive reasons, it's just like the matter of love, you like once you experience it, or you just don't. I switched last year from Android to WP, starting from the lowest spec phone even half of my former Android phone, and I can't see myself going to another OS in the near future. If you see a phone as communication device and to accomplish task, there's no lose whatsoever, but if you're the kind of app guy and can't live without snap chat or the hottest games, probably you won't like it, well I were one but managed to stay here anyway. Knowing why you dislike WP7.5 might help.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It really is hard to explain. I have had both Android and an iPhone, but I just *love* the operating system on Windows phone. It's not even that it is does all this amazing stuff that you can't get with another OS, but I just think it's so...enjoyable. And it is really enjoyable to participate in it becoming better via feedback.

Mohamed Ahmed Nader

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Windows phone in a nutshell: A cheaper iOS wannabe with same performance on certain devices (like Lumia 1520, 930 or the HTC one m8 for windows) BUT with a the poorest app ecosystem of the three biggest OSes. Basically if u don't really need snapchat and don't want the complexity of android AND don't want to spend much money on a phone that u'll eventually change in a couple of years then windows phone is your best choice

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
What do you use your phone for? Top 5 things?

I have the Nokia 930:

Camera is really good
Solid design
Like Live Tiles
Has the apps I need
Awesome keyboard

I switched over from a Nokia N8 (on Symbian). I switched because it was a Nokia. If Nokia built an Android phone - I would have been there.

Why I am with Windows Phone - I am interested to see how W10 turns out. I don't like how apps are not updated nearly as fast as iOS and Android. Windows apps that I thought would be native and superior, are not. But they work adequately for my needs.

How about you?

I will soon be getting a new phone and I am considering Windows Phone, I had WP 7.5 before and I didn't like it, but I want to give Windows 10 for Phones as Microsoft has seemed to improve. Anyway, I would like to know some reasons as to why I shouldn't stay on Android.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
If Nokia built an Android phone - I would have been there.

Nokia did built an Android phone but it was a poor effort, not even comparable to their cheapest WP. However their Android tablet is nice though, if not one of the nicest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Try to get a low end window phone (please, get one at least 1GB) ..... You might just love the look, the feel, there fluidity, simplicity..... Or the otherwise

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone in a nutshell: A cheaper iOS wannabe...

Huh??

For my part I would say that if you need someone to convince you to use Windows phone (or anything, really) then you're not going to like it. Windows 10 Mobile has definitely changed from Windows Phone 8.1, but it still feels very much like it. I never used Windows Phone 7.x, but I believe it's about the same UX-wise as Winows Phone 8. If you didn't like WP 7.5 because of the UX or lack of apps, you probably won't like Windows 10 Mobile.

That's not to say there aren't compelling reasons to be in the platform. I myself switched from Android a few years ago and haven't looked back. I prefer the interface. The utility and customizability of the start screen, with it's live tiles, is unmatched by iOS and Android in my opinion. The OS is also very responsive and, as others have said, tends to have less "bog-down" problems than Android. Apple's iOS is not far behind in that regard, but it's also built with a less open approach than the other two systems. There's also Cortana, which is pretty sweet. New hardware will also have some pretty awesome features like iris/face recognition via Windows Hello and Continuum, which will theoretically allow you to replace many PC functions with your phone. There's obviously some compromises to be made, especially around the lack of trending mobile apps. If Universal apps take off, though (and that is a pretty big if) then that will probably be less and less of a concern going forward.

Last edited:

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
For people asking what apps I use;
I use Viber, Whatsapp, various social network apps and the occasional game of Asphalt 8.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
If u want flagships, go to IOS or Android. If u want low end crap phones, go w Windows. That is the current state of affairs, perhaps will change if MS ever wakes up

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
How soon is your soon? There's no "high end" flagship Windows phone right now. So think about it. For your apps, Viber is very smooth, I don't use WhatsApp, and Asphalt 8 runs very smoothly too but you could only play with Windows phone users only for multiplayer as they have separate servers for different platforms (Android, ...). That was what I remember. For other social media apps, facebook sucks but not that bad. 6tag for Instagram is good.

For those who says "..if your not an app guy, get Windows phone.", I think what they mean is you'll only use your phone for texting and calling. You will use an app if you have smartphone. I think you have no choice. So there's a chance you will suffer with the app gap. You can't find some apps that you need. And if there is, the quality of some Windows phone apps is not that good compared to Android or iOS apps.

And about what I love about Windows phone, ahh, I don't know. You could just feel it. LOL I have lots of complains about this OS but I'm still here.

I'm also getting a new phone soon and there's a 70% Android, 30% Windows phone chance.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I cannot speak to Windows 10 Mobile because it is not out yet, but I can tell my story here again for you.

I bought a G1 back in the day and had always been an android apologist up until last year. I had seen the Windows Phones and never really considered them for the simple reason I went with what I knew. And as we progressed from 2 to 4 it was becoming standard practice to have a task killer,a battery monitor, and quick toggles for radios to make it through the day on a single battery charge. The lack of real standards on apps caused memory leaks everywhere and just generally poor performance (which continues into 5).

I was venting fustration one day and a good friend of mine suggested I pick up a 521 on ebay and repair it. Then use it for two weeks. Challenge Accepted!

Looking at the specs I expected disaster. Dual core 1ghz, 512 ram, 8 gig ram, and a tiny 1850MHA battery. On Android 4 this would be the doggiest of dogs and run like utter crap. I was expecting this very thing. I bought a broken screen one for $10 and a new screen for $13 determined to not spend to much money on a certain failure. Parts arrived and I was pleasantly surprised to find the repair simple. So in my sim card went, put in my hotmail account and waited for the worst.

I decided to NOT turn off radios and let it sink or swim. Found the UI to be very smooth and loved the podcast app. loaded up multiple things at once and while it was multitasking things slowed down some but not bad at all really. I actually went and verified the specs at this point, I could not believe a dual core was handling this load like a champ. I also noticed (and this impressed me) that while on wifi the phone shut off 4g, went down to standby mode 2g, and routed calls through my WiFi! BY ITSELF! This lead me to the discovery it was actually turning not only cell radios on and off as needed but GPS and bluetooth also! My first day with the 521 consumed 22% battery of a tiny 1850mah.

Day two I decided to punish it, loaded Pandora and let it run until my lunch break. Surely it will be at half battery or lower by then, so I brought my trusty backup battery pack (a must have for android users) to top it up while I ate. Lunch came after six hours and...wtf 70% battery after SIX hours of constant cpu and 4g drain? Unreal!

By the end of the two weeks I had a shiny new 1520 and my greatest friend had a case of beer and a case of wine. The android flagships have come and gone and the specs keep growing but Android is still what it is; an amalgamation of open source and bloated google apps that will never get the best out of the hardware it runs. I had thought iOS was the only place to find a system that "just works" but no, Windows Phone does too. Best of all its there at every price point, for everyone, if they just give it a chance.

You'd have drag me kicking and screaming back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3