Anyone notice artist lock screen option missing in Win10M Build 10149?

KentAshfield

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Anyone notice artist lock screen option missing in Win10M Build 10149

Just wanted to ask everyone using Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10149 if they have noticed the "Show artist when playing music" option in Settings>Personalization>Lock Screen to be missing. It was a favorite feature of mine in Windows Phone 8.1 (yes, I know it was broken because of the new music app but I found a $2 fix that I'd be happy to share if you are interested), and I am surprised that it is no longer present in the Windows 10 Mobile builds as I have seen it before (though in a dysfunctional state) in earlier builds. Now the option slider is completely gone (and the backend appears to be missing as well, possibly).

If you do not see this option in your install of build 10149, please confirm so that I know I don't just have a buggy install. If it really is gone, I'm going to try and get some confirmation that it will be included in the final release.

First post with Windows Central! Happy to be joining after following the community for years.

EDIT: Thanks for the welcome and it seems as though the feature is missing for now. hopefully we see it back soon, but be sure to ask for it in the insider feedback program so we can be extra sure.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone notice artist lock screen option missing in Win10M Build 10149

Yes it's missing...

Edit: I officially welcome you to the community :cool:

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Yea, its gone , I refuse to believe Microsoft would kill such a neat feature that no one disliked though, so my guess is that perhaps they are rewriting it? would be awesome if they would implement the ZuneHD's screensaver on the lockscreen!

-dreams big-

KentAshfield

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site

it would make sense for them to rewrite it for the new music app. hopefully that is the case. my fear is that it may be forgotten though because it had been broken for too long without getting patched last time they made a new music app. i did just confirm that the original music hub from WP8 is still inside the win10 OS as it was with 8.1.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

it would make sense for them to rewrite it for the new music app. hopefully that is the case. my fear is that it may be forgotten though because it had been broken for too long without getting patched last time they made a new music app. i did just confirm that the original music hub from WP8 is still inside the win10 OS as it was with 8.1.

They actually did work on it, they never 100% fixed it, but they improved its compatibility over time, my xbox music generally showed sbout 48% of all my music on the lockscreen. But, generally, using the old xbox music app as an example of anything is bad, it was designed and made as a temporary app, it was planned to be replaced after 8.1, so obviously Microsoft didn't wanna sink a lot of effort into it, I honestly wonder why they bothered knowing it was a temp.

just incase your un familiar with the zune screen I was talking about, head to around 30 seconds in
https://youtu.be/Mm0dhh-s7iY?t=37s

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

Wow, had never seen Zune but gotta say, loved the interface. The lockscreen animation, in-app transitions are so fluid. Now I know why the Xbox(Groove) looks crap :p

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

ZuneHD was just an awesome device, it was also where the metro UI was first concepted too. the zhd was the sole reason I tried wp, I fell in love with the UI the first day I used it, and when I realized there was a phone with that ui some years later, I had to have it!

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

The show artist on lock screen while playing music doesn't even work on my Lumia icon running WP8.1. That feature is broken.

KentAshfield

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site

The show artist on lock screen while playing music doesn't even work on my Lumia icon running WP8.1. That feature is broken.

You are correct that the feature is broken out of the box. That said, I would be happy to show you how I managed to get it working on my Icon if you are interested. Just let me know, and I'll create a tutorial thread. It is a nice feature to have.

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

You are correct that the feature is broken out of the box. That said, I would be happy to show you how I managed to get it working on my Icon if you are interested. Just let me know, and I'll create a tutorial thread. It is a nice feature to have.

HEy, the tutorial idea seems good. I remember I had it working on wp8 , but never ever after 8.1

KentAshfield

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site

HEy, the tutorial idea seems good. I remember I had it working on wp8 , but never ever after 8.1

Ok I'll do that. For now, though, here is what I did:

1. Get "Music Hub Tile" from the app store (you can use the free version, but you may want to pay for the full version for convenience down the road).
2. Do an online search for the app "MPA Tool" on your phone and install it (doesn't always show up in the store app, but you can get to it from links online).
3. Use MPA tool to set artist images for your music library.
4. When you play a song, use the old music app to play it (this is what music hub tile does).
5. Check your lock screen for the image while the song is playing.
6. If it worked, yay! If not, go to lock screen settings and disable / re-enable "show artist on lock screen" while the song is still playing, then skip to the next song and see if it worked.

Hope this helps! I also hope Microsoft adds back the show artist option in windows 10 mobile soon, even if they don't fix it as we can still use this work-around to enable this fun feature!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon