Hamburger menu system SUCKS for one handed orientation!

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Is it called hamburger our new menu system? I personally do not care for the technicalities anymore, fed up with changes in so called "metro".

To my point (finally jumped to windows mobile 10, build 10149) an noticed how difficult, unintuitive, and cumbersome it is for one handed orientation! Sucks balls, literally....

What's the community's feedback!?

Ps. I have an alternative idea to be able to keep our new "menu" layout solution to share with the community, but first let's get some feedback on the first topic.
Thx

Last edited:

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't like it too, but it seems according to Microsoft research "most people don't use their phones single handedly" and hence that's their defence on hamburger menu, I gave countless feedback but they are not gonna budge on it as they want consistent look with respect to desktop. The cheap compensation they have for it is the reachability feature on phones 5 inches and above.

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Ha! Felt something along those lines an knew I would get a mention of their cheap reachability lol. Thx dude.

By the way, our old way for menu "...." Is it called pivot?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Is it called hamburger our new menu system? I personally do not care for the technicalities anymore, fed up with changes in so called "metro".

To my point (finally jumped to windows mobile 10, build 10149) an noticed how difficult, unintuitive, and cumbersome it is for one handed orientation! Sucks balls, literally....

What's the community's feedback!?

Ps. I have an alternative an be able to keep our new "menu" layout solution to share with the community, but first let's get some feedback on the first topic.
Thx
Depend actually. If it just unlock,make call I can do it with one hand I can do it easily.

But changing setting browse file ect may not easy but when I did it my hand both free

TheFunMachine

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ha! Felt something along those lines an knew I would get a mention of their cheap reachability lol. Thx dude.

By the way, our old way for menu "...." Is it called pivot?
"..." is called ellipsis, pivoting is how you could swipe left or right to go between different sections of an app. (For example, swiping between now playing, recently played, xbox music store, etc in the Xbox Music app on WP8.1) You can pivot in W10 in a few apps, like Alarms & Clock, but it's inconsistent and most apps don't use it. I don't care much for the hamburger menu either, especially as they still seem to be using the app bar, which I thought was what the hamburgers were replacing. W10 isn't too bad though once you get used to it, but one handed use certainly sucks.

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
"..." is called ellipsis, pivoting is how you could swipe left or right to go between different sections of an app.

Appreciate the clarification very much!

I do not have an issue with hamburger myself either, just how its being applied( which i hope they do not add swiping gesture to it)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the poll here is assuming that everyone who answers uses their device with one hand.

I don't. I typically hold my device in one hand and poke it with the other.

ArrowQueen

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I use my phone (L925) with one hand a lot (depending on the situation). I'm not ok with hamburger menu. Why did they put it on the left ? They should have put it on the right with the ability to swipe and it would have been great for one or two hands usage. They said they put it on the left because people are more used to find it there. I don't think its a good excuse.

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
@ArrowQueen, thanks for the feedback. I'm also on the Lumia 925.
Swipe is what has been requested allot, though I'm personally not for it.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I think the poll here is assuming that everyone who answers uses their device with one hand.

I don't. I typically hold my device in one hand and poke it with the other.

I prefer one handed use. Designing the phone with one handed use in mind, does nothing to make two handed use more difficult. Thus, why isn't the obvious"goal" to make it so it is good for everyone? Actually, I would also add an option to mirror the one handed aspects for left handed people. Wouldn't that be a distinguishing feature?

Also, I like ellipses, panoramas/pivots and do not like the hamburger with it's left sliding drawer. Maybe left handed people like the left side hamburger and drawer?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I use even nose

Hey, that's what handkerchiefs are for!

About the hamburger menu, I think that the problem is WP's implementation of it more than the hamburger itself. You should not have to tap on it. It should slide open. I use it on WP, iOS, and Android. Most Android and iOS versions of it have the sliding feature, but I've not yet seen it on any WP app.

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I prefer one handed use. Designing the phone with one handed use in mind, does nothing to make two handed use more difficult. Thus, why isn't the obvious"goal" to make it so it is good for everyone? Actually, I would also add an option to mirror the one handed aspects for left handed people. Wouldn't that be a distinguishing feature?

Also, I like ellipses, panoramas/pivots and do not like the hamburger with it's left sliding drawer. Maybe left handed people like the left side hamburger and drawer?
Definitely on the same page as you, though it seems Microsoft will not budge on this case...
Let's look for a workaround.
Left handed case I'm totally looking at for those users. Many comments actually have been that the ellipsis now is not convenient in thier use case, example no longer swiping up gesture brings the app bar.
As you mention the love use of pivot, sad to somewhat go an somewhat still their so far, which is one of my reasons I strongly disagree for swiping add on for hamburger menu, too annoying!

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey, that's what handkerchiefs are for!

About the hamburger menu, I think that the problem is WP's implementation of it more than the hamburger itself. You should not have to tap on it. It should slide open. I use it on WP, iOS, and Android. Most Android and iOS versions of it have the sliding feature, but I've not yet seen it on any WP app.

Yes! Exactly correct about it's implementations!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros