Office for Windows 10 Mobile requires 365 subscription

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Before, I also been asked to subscribe to office 365 when I edit a word document. I decided to reinstall the apps, then I can now creat and edit documents. I'm using Lumia 1320

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, to clear up any and all confusion for the Mobile Office Applications.

ALL 3 Platforms get Office for FREE. For advanced office features outside of view and simple edits require a subscription.

You can get a stand-alone sub for yourself only for less than $7/mo

This one will allow you to install on a single desktop (PC or MAC) and then you can activate on 1 mobile phone and 1 tablet.

You can get a home sub for $9.99/mo

The Home edition allows you to install on 5 desktops (PC and/or MAC), 5 mobile phones and 5 tablets.

BOTH give you 1TB One Drive and 60 min/mo worldwide Skype minutes (well, 8 countries at least).\

Also, when Office 2016 is released, you will get that as well as part of your sub.

Edit: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...pare-microsoft-office-products&token=vE89Q2P0

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I use the apps all the time on my 535 WITHOUT subscription. I'm not entirely sure why some are finding that difficult but I don't believe it is because a subscription is required

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
You can create and edit documents without an Office 365 subscription and the Windows 10 Mobile version without a subscription is still far more capable than the WP 8.1 version. The following additional features require a subscription though. This holds true for the iOS version as well:
wp_ss_20150715_0001.jpgwp_ss_20150715_0002.jpg

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
OK, to help TheriOn here, as I'm French too, and hit *sometimes* the same issue.

I have 2 accounts :
a) a personal live.com one
b) a professional one, Office365 for SME

There are many issues with the Office Mobile suite, on PC and mobile according to me :
1) no real multi-account management
2) licence issues.

By 1), I mean that even if I add my office365 account (by clicking on my name on the upper right corner in any Office Mobile app), then I can't *switch* from an account to the other. It's the first registered account which is recognized. This leads to many stupid situations :
- In OneNote, I can open my personal notepad (on mobile and PC), but I can't open my pro one on the 535 (requires 535) when it's OK on my pro iPhone or my PC running W10 (with exactly the same accounts)
- In Word or Excel, I can't switch from one account to the other (PC or mobile)
My educated guess is: the 2nd account management is still alpha in the mobile build. In 10149, we couldn't even add another account in Office suite. Now it is possible (Onedrive is a perfect example), but clearly, it's not advanced enough to be able to switch amongst accounts (and if this shouldn't be possible, then why offer to add multiple accounts in these office apps?)

By 2), I mean that /sometimes/ it asks to activate an office365 licence, which I don't own for my personal account (for editing or creating a document). Insisting works most of the time to get through.

So I don't understand what we should be able to do, or not, with a "free account". I use all office apps on my pro iPhone 5S, and also on my PC with W10 technical preview, and, as I said, W10M on a 535. This gives me 3 comparison points, and only show the inconsistency between apps.

I would say that W10M and the "mobile" part of these stock apps will be polished/improved after the 29th of July (example: SMS receipt tick mark, etc., in other terms, all these "specific" mobile-only features not needed on PC. Other example: the return of the ability to set quiet hours according to meetings in given calendars, as on WP8.1, that Cortana can't manage on W10/W10M at this stage, I guess because quiet hours is not a priority for the PC release).

Now back to the topic, let's trust the OP when he says he has difficulties to "activate" or use even basic features of Office Mobile, without turning this into an OS/platform competition, or a lack of understanding of what Office365 is.

Now to answer to N_Larue, that screenshot is a simple ad for office 365, which sells all the unlocked features a subscription brings (install Office on PC/Mac, get 1 TB on onecloud, etc., with a link to MSFT website to buy such a subscription).

Bottom line: let's way A) the official release of W10 and Office Touch, B) the same for W10M, before jumping to conclusions when comparing to iOS or Android. In the meanwhile, I've reported all these points (inconsistencies, etc.) via the feedback app on both PC and mobile builds.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@msirapian I'm curious... in WM10 OS account settings you can add a Work account (i.e. Office 365). Does adding that to a personal phone unlock Office too? There appears to be several places to enter MSAs.

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Well idk, my microsoft account isn't linked to any kind of O365 subscribtion and I still can use, edit and save stuff with the Office Mobile apps. Guess it's not that required

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
@msirapian I'm curious... in WM10 OS account settings you can add a Work account (i.e. Office 365). Does adding that to a personal phone unlock Office too? There appears to be several places to enter MSAs.

I don't know: when I add it in OneDrive, I have to add it AGAIN in Word, and AGAIN in Excel, etc. Plus "My account" settings tab led to crash 2 days ago so I've hard reset my test 535 and decided NOT to add secondary/pro accounts until it's a bit more stabilised.

Yesterday, Microsoft shed some light on their licencing policy:
" Thanks to all of you who have been using the new Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint mobile apps on Windows 10. There are a few changes to the apps coming up that are part of helping them get ready for their release with Windows 10. You may have already noticed that on PCs and tablets we’ve added “Mobile” to the app names (to help distinguish them from the Office desktop suite), while on phones we simply call the apps Word, Excel and PowerPoint. We will also remove “Preview” from the app names and in about one week, you will need an Office 365 subscription to edit on Windows 10 PCs and larger tablets. Similar to what we announced in March, viewing and most editing will remain free for non-commercial use on devices of 10.1” or less. Otherwise, you will need a qualifying Office 365 subscription. If you don’t have an Office 365 subscription, you can sign up for a free trial at www.office.com/try. You can also always edit your documents for free in Office Online at www.office.com. The full featured OneNote Universal App will come installed with Windows 10 and similar to OneNote on all other devices, editing is free."

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While it?s free for iOS where you can edit and create documents without 365 subscription.

Any new business-related service or application by MS is initially released for iOS and not every time for Windows.

Is this gentle way of killing Windows Phone/Mobile sales? Should I dump my Windows laptop and phone switching to Macbook, iPad and iPhone?

You should convince he company you work for to get off the Google Docs and go with Office365! I have three subscriptions to Office365 ProPlus, 3TB of storage :3

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well idk, my microsoft account isn't linked to any kind of O365 subscribtion and I still can use, edit and save stuff with the Office Mobile apps. Guess it's not that required

I know the actual preview says to use an Office365 account to use all features, so I'd assume that the apps are freemium (Like iOS, Android). I thought I read somewhere that this will eventually change, but that could have been just a rumor.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't see the issue. I paid $22 for a 1 year 365 sub with 1TB of OneDrive space 60 min a month skype calls international WORTH THE MONEY.

Apple iCloud is $20 a month for 1 TB LoL you should move to Apple it would be funny.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Uninstall and reinstall the app, they changed their mind. It's back to normal. Only pc's and tablets that are higher than 10.1 inches on windows get the office 365 message now. Phew thank god

Last edited:

cdb033

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone 10 requires a subscription. That's the problem I'm having now. I've purchased from the store two copies of Office for both my PCs, but yet I can't do anything but view the documents on my phone. Its very frustrating!!! Now I have to buy a subscription to edit documents on my phone. This is truly absurd. I'm currently using Windows 10 mobile technical preview. I truly think that they are trying to kill their own platform, at least the mobile sector. They are making it very difficult to stay loyal to them.

uima

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I am running Windows 10 on the 640. The Office app is not available :( Is this a temporary bug or am I required to purchase it?

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
There was an update of Office apps on W10M, yesterday I think, and now they require Office 365 subscription to edit files. I do wonder if this is just another Microsoft Cockup? and they put one too many NOTs into a test condition or if they really changed their policy in a hush-hush way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea