Microsoft's Arrow launcher for Android.. How about implementing those ideas into Windows Mobile ?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PebnfrnrxII

Video says it all.

How about implementing those ideas into Windows Mobile too/instead ?

Livestiles instead of normal app icons and there you go.

I like Microsoft, Windows Mobile and I like this as an Android user too, but using Windows phone 8.1 / 10 which lacks new ideas, it is getting really frustrating sometimes.

So much potential in Windows phone/mobile, but so much lack of interest in the developing something new.

And don't start with "it's not done yet, it's just a preview" , we all know that. If something like this was ever an idea for Windows, it would already be there by now.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You can't change how your OS works every 2 years. That will confuse most users. But, I do agree with one thing. Swiping right from the Start Screen should bring you to some new feature. Not sure what, but I'm sure Microsoft would have many ideas for that!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
All I see is a fancy Android launcher. If that's what passes for new ideas I'm glad MS hasn't gone that route with W10 although it's getting close.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
You can't change how your OS works every 2 years. That will confuse most users. But, I do agree with one thing. Swiping right from the Start Screen should bring you to some new feature. Not sure what, but I'm sure Microsoft would have many ideas for that!

Android changes UI every major relase, it's the best thing you could experience. At least for me. Always fun.

But yes this would be something new in the navigation of the OS, but I think it would sure attract more people.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm mostly about the > app drawer and the idea of another window on the left side of the Start screen with Livetiles < of course.

Wazzim

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Some menu on the left side of the Start screen has been requested for a while now, there really is no reason (except for RAM maybe) to not have something there.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Android changes UI every major relase, it's the best thing you could experience. At least for me. Always fun.

But yes this would be something new in the navigation of the OS, but I think it would sure attract more people.

No, android doesn't, they keep the same ui with maybe a few polish in some places, the most radical change they've made visually to android was 5.0 and really all that did was flatten all the images and add a lot of animations/transitions.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
No, android doesn't, they keep the same ui with maybe a few polish in some places, the most radical change they've made visually to android was 5.0 and really all that did was flatten all the images and add a lot of animations/transitions.

Whatever you call it, it is not the same, I went from froyo 2.2 to 5.1 Lolipop and I sure liked all the changes and yes added actions. User interface is different here and there.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Whatever you call it, it is not the same, I went from froyo 2.2 to 5.1 Lolipop and I sure liked all the changes and yes added actions. User interface is different here and there.

Wow that's quite a jump! I think that's why you noticed such a change; there are 5 versions in between Froyo and Lollipop. For the most part, the changes in appearance from one version of Android to the next are incremental. If you would have had the versions in between you likely would not have thought about it so much.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's quite a jump! I think that's why you noticed such a change; there are 5 versions in between Froyo and Lollipop. For the most part, the changes in appearance from one version of Android to the next are incremental. If you would have had the versions in between you likely would not have thought about it so much.

Yes.. I meant all the versions, and if Lolipop didn't exit after Kitkat I probably wouldn't even care about switching from WP back to Android. And even from Kitkat to Lolipop, they changed how Status bar (pull down), multitasking worked. Where I still prefer how the Kitkat version functioned, I only prefer the looks on Lolipop.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
OK I understood you to mean that you went directly from Froyo to Lollipop.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

I meant that only because of it's looks (KitKat), I got bored of them(it) and I though Google probably ran out of ideas or that it would be really hard to make something new.. And boom, Lolipop material design pops up and gets my interest..

They did change some things that looks nicer, but dont really function any better than actions/look to which I was used to on Kitkat.

For example I could swipe down from the left half for notifications & right for toggles, while now I need to swipe twice times down for nothing.

Then there's multitasking where I could see multiple apps and just swipe left to close the app I wanted, while now I have to scroll through the app's windows vertically where one app windows overlays another just to find the app I want and swipe it away.

Now if anything different like this came to WP, people would start saying that It would confuse current users.. Oh really..

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I've got a Note 3 that I mainly just keep for testing purposes, and I also almost entirely use Microsoft services (seriously, the majority of non-game applications I have on my Note 3 are all from Microsoft)... and I have absolutely no interest in this even on the Android device, let alone on my Windows Phone. With regards to Android, it appears to do a lesser job of what I already have apps to do. Sure, I use multiple apps to do what this launcher is doing but every single one of them appears to be better at it than this is (Nova as a launcher, Cortana for tasks/reminders, Contacts+ for contacts and SMS, Next as a lock screen, etc). In comparison to Windows Phone, it is even more of a step back.

There's very little customization, zero information present on the homescreen, they waste the left-most screen with a "recent contacts" that is of little use (I almost entirely always go directly to the messaging app to contact someone), the reminder system is simplistic compared to Cortana, and the right-most screen for apps is messy when they show a lot of apps with the same letter.

I pretty much like nothing about this.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
"Hey Satya, all these new apps are pretty cool."
"I know, right? We're all about mobile. We're leveraging our mobility into mobile to mobilize our mobosity mobile mobile mobile mobilemobilemobile..."
"So when will we see those on Windows Phone?"
"Windows what?"
"Windows Phone."
"...wait, that's that thing Belfiore keeps complaining about, isn't it?"

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
"Hey Satya, all these new apps are pretty cool."
"I know, right? We're all about mobile. We're leveraging our mobility into mobile to mobilize our mobosity mobile mobile mobile mobilemobilemobile..."
"So when will we see those on Windows Phone?"
"Windows what?"
"Windows Phone."
"...wait, that's that thing Belfiore keeps complaining about, isn't it?"

Now I know why it's Windows "mobile" :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros