What does updating to the technical preview do to your existing apps?

mabirkinshaw

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been thinking about trying out the latest technical preview for a while now, but haven't done as I didn't know how some relatively key apps (for me) would be affected. In particular I use a couple of authenticator apps (including the Microsoft one) - are these likely to survive the upgrade working or should I preemptively deactivate them?

Thanks in advance

kobe_mvp

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
95% of the apps are slower than before, system is slower, not major slowing though

and some of the apps need reinstall to make it work again, some apps are gone (here & lumia etc, and the new ones are supposed to do what here and lumia did in the past but the new ones are just buggy currently)

The store is still kinda problematic, random errors, even reinstall can have error....(due too unsuccessful deletion even the storage/app list says otherwise, usually a reboot/ temp memory deletion will fix it)

new native/preload app is lacking basic functions that we used to have in 8.1, like sorting in onedrive, team/sport pinning, public transit for direction in map (depends on country), outlook mail is not working right in a lot of ways (not syncing not displaying, no new mail count [wtf])

disclaimer: i did make it sound bad, but thats what we do, we mention all the bads and take the goods for granted. NONE of them are deal breaker to me, but if you live on emails, you will die if you missed one, then i suggest you use web version lol. I can still say this 10166 build is solid, but can do better. oh and i am using 1520

Carl Anderson

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
It is the ultimate consultant answer.. it depends..

How do you plan on migrating? I have done a factory reset after the installs, and then re-install the apps. For Authenticator, I would think you would need to set that up again (and each time after you upgrade with a factory reset). I don't need Authenticator for my day to day tasks, so I have chosen to not reinstall it at this point (or until I need it) as I know I will be going to the new build when it is released, etc.

mabirkinshaw

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. Looks like there's a range of possible consequences then! In that case i think I'll see,if I can find my old Lumia 920 and try it on that one first...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs