Oh God, the Lumia 950/950 XL sucks....Except wait....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I find it kind of ridiculous/silly all the complaints about the new phones and what not when

A. Saying it looks cheap....

Except up until recently, didn't Samsung make the ugliest of phones and people were steadily buying them lol. Why? Because they worked and worked well for Android.

Cheap plastic phones that were being charged at high prices...it wasn't until what last year or this year that they actually decided to drop the plastic lol. And Samsung plastic was the cheap plastic compared to the lumia type.

B. Most of the people complaining about how it looks are the same exact people who will throw it in a case lmao.

C. At the end of the day, are we truly that superficial to worry about it looks. I care more about the performance, I care more about what Lumias are known for THE CAMERA and I am excited to try out the new windows 10 features.

That is kind of what matters LOL. I am sure I may be downvoted but I am sitting here looking like "Yall are worried about looks....I care about the power and the features of the OS/Lumia features".

I just hope that this is not some stock design to try and give Non-LUmia OEMs a leg up because I am not here for some Samsung/HTC android ports.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
As long as the plastic is very durable I am all in for the 950XL.
Today I work with a steel frame blackberry and I can say that thing get quite hot to the frame.
Indestructible plastic is the way to go.
If one drop it at least it will survive

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, truth be told I don't like the design. And I have my rights to say that, so does everyone else.
If you're buying it, and if they're already making it, why not make it pretty, or atleast the same as phones were untill now.
My L1520 is gorgeous. The 730 is also a nice device. The 520 is kinda ugly but that's because it's ultra cheap.
It's not just about the functionality.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, truth be told I don't like the design. And I have my rights to say that, so does everyone else.
If you're buying it, and if they're already making it, why not make it pretty, or atleast the same as phones were untill now.
My L1520 is gorgeous. The 730 is also a nice device. The 520 is kinda ugly but that's because it's ultra cheap.
It's not just about the functionality.
Nobody is saying you can't but people are already talking about leaving due to the phones looks. Lmao. Functionality isn't the only thing but it should be the most important.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
At this point, i would only buy this phone if they include the continuum device in the box, as a compensation for the loss of premium looks.

Oh and a cover that changes how it looks. :eck:

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, if I was prejudging the lumia 730 only by renders and pictures, then I would never bought it because it doesn't resemble in any way the feeling holding it in hand and using it..!
Take also into consideration that 950 (or whatever they'll call it) sports a 5.2 inch OLED display with an obsered ppi count that will be, no doubt, a showstopper to look at. Now combine the display with the specs which are top notch (even by Android standards) and you have a winner!

The only area that worries me is the pricing on launch day, they have to avoid falling in the same path like they did with the 730 and 830 one year ago..
Although both devices were very good offerings, their lauch prices were very hard to justify..
The 730 launched for 330 euro and the 830 for over 400 euro and the reaction from potential buyers (like myself) was pretty bad.
Those devices only got traction after a couple of moths where their price dropped to somewhat reasonable levels.
Namely the 730, two months after initial release droped to 250 euro and the 830 in the 300 euro range (well at least in Greece)

They HAVE TO price them right from the get-go (just like they did with the 640!)
If they ask, for example, 700 euros for the 950 and 800+ euros for the 950xl then they lost the flagship game immediately, because iPhone6s will be launched in the next month or so and frankly, the majority of people (counting in many WP users) will prefer it..

But in the end, let's just wait and see what it is like and what it has to offer, and then we talk about if it is a good device or not!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The people who dislike the design are the ones who'll cry loudest, guys. The majority of people (the ones not saying anything) probably quite like the design, or simply don't care.
I, for one, like it.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I was excited about the 950, but when the press renders came out, I noticed it still has capacitive buttons. That makes me less excited.

Its not that I don't like capacitive buttons... I have owned many phones both with and without. It's that I absolutely despise the trend toward massive phones with jumbotron screens that I cannot carry or use comfortably. Since the leaks indicate the 950 would have a 5.5" screen, doing away with capacitive buttons would have kept it about the same size as my Icon while allowing the bigger screen. But if it retains capacitive buttons, the phone just grows bigger.

I know those of us who like smaller phones are a rarity, but you would at least think it would warrant a single smaller device without dropping down to the cheap level. How about a 950 XS, 950, 950 XL? :grin: Maybe with a 4.7" or 5" screen.

If I have to go with a bigger phone on my next purchase, I will just sit back and see if MS actually builds a Surface phone. At least then I can say "Hey, I can't comfortably hold this phone, it won't fit in my pocket at all... but at least it will run full blown desktop programs.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Even existing low-end Lumia phones are made of good quality plastics - durable, resistant to scratch, good feeling of touch.

I think it is even better than those type of plastics used in iPhone 5C (which is good, but I don't like shiny plastics)

There are good plastics and bad plastics. There are also good metals and bad metals. There are also good and bad manufacturing processes.

I think 950 is made of even better plastics.

I wonder how we can judge the real appearance of the phone based on a low-resolution photo, which you can never have a real touch and look on the phone?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Even existing low-end Lumia phones are made of good quality plastics - durable, resistant to scratch, good feeling of touch.

I think it is even better than those type of plastics used in iPhone 5C (which is good, but I don't like shiny plastics)

There are good plastics and bad plastics. There are also good metals and bad metals. There are also good and bad manufacturing processes.

I think 950 is made of even better plastics.

I wonder how we can judge the real appearance of the phone based on a low-resolution photo, which you can never have a real touch and look on the phone?

Isn't the glossy Lumia 640 similar to the iphone 5c?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I find it kind of ridiculous/silly all the complaints about the new phones and what not when

A. Saying it looks cheap....

Except up until recently, didn't Samsung make the ugliest of phones and people were steadily buying them lol. Why? Because they worked and worked well for Android.

Cheap plastic phones that were being charged at high prices...it wasn't until what last year or this year that they actually decided to drop the plastic lol. And Samsung plastic was the cheap plastic compared to the lumia type.

B. Most of the people complaining about how it looks are the same exact people who will throw it in a case lmao.

C. At the end of the day, are we truly that superficial to worry about it looks. I care more about the performance, I care more about what Lumias are known for THE CAMERA and I am excited to try out the new windows 10 features.

That is kind of what matters LOL. I am sure I may be downvoted but I am sitting here looking like "Yall are worried about looks....I care about the power and the features of the OS/Lumia features".

I just hope that this is not some stock design to try and give Non-LUmia OEMs a leg up because I am not here for some Samsung/HTC android ports.
Samsung phones are only called cheap because of the plastic bit they still looked premium. Even the S5 with it's plaster dotted back but the new flagships are completely generic. In pretty sure Huawei has made ?100-200 phones that look like this.

Do you really think it's great that these are the phones that are going to represent windows 10 mobile?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
There's no comparison between Samsung's flimsy removable backs and Lumia unibody polycarbonate. Polycarbonate can feel very premium.

And they sell well because of the name, Samsung. And marketing.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Just my opinion, renders never give designs justice. They usually look quite a bit better in real pictures or in person. I'm not dazzled by the renders, but I think it will look fine in person.

I don't know wtf is up with that metal ring on the XL's camera though... Wtf.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Many people are jumping the gun with these devices over some renders and a leaked image. There might be more to come that hasn't been leaked. I'd wait for an official announcement and official images before passing too much judgement. For all we know, these aren't the flagship devices and will be replacing the 830,there may be something else going on. This supposed October event can't come soon enough.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung phones are only called cheap because of the plastic bit they still looked premium. Even the S5 with it's plaster dotted back but the new flagships are completely generic. In pretty sure Huawei has made ?100-200 phones that look like this.

Do you really think it's great that these are the phones that are going to represent windows 10 mobile?

Yes. The phones look fine.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know wtf is up with that metal ring on the XL's camera though... Wtf.
They keep mentioning the "1mm silver ring" on the XL (Cityman) model, but after looking at these recent renders, I'm thinking jeez... the "Talkman" has like a 9mm silver ring!

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hehe I been waiting for this. The last year I have read alot of bitchin cause there been no released or announced flagships from Microsoft. Respective specifications have finally been released for not one but two coming last quarter of this year. Now I just cannot believe this amount of complaining over some unverified renders.. Wow..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism