Why shouldn't my Lumia be in the midst of eligible phones for the. Windows10 update.

UgnSam07

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand the reason Microsoft haven't included the Lumia 1520 and Lumia 920 or the 925 in the list of eligible devices for the wp10 update. For quite sometime now, those devices are the most High end and functional devices we had looking at the 1520 for instance, it is the most powerful device to date. When I read the article the other time about why I shouldn't worry about not getting the update and getting it through the developer preview, I was so disappointed as to why Microsoft will do such a thing. I bought a Lumia 1520 about 4months ago and I must tell you I couldn't feel much more excited after previously using a 625. If getting the use only through the windows insider or dp then I'm going to think twice about buying another Lumia again. Plus the new wp10 OS is veering from what Lumia OS are distinctly known for. The OS now looks more android and IOS. I hope this gets somewhere especially the update stuff.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
People will tell you that it's because the 1520 is now two years old, and that is regarded as the normal life cycle for mobile phones.

I won't type the word that comes to mind, but the reality is that the 1520 still matches or beats most of the current phones on the market in terms of technology and performance. Hardware has NOT come along that much in the past two years, so to suggest that the 1520 is somehow "old technology" is ridiculous and, basically, that stuff that comes from the wrong end of a bull.

I suspect it's more likely that Microsoft don't really want you to keep using a phone they* sold you two years ago. They want you to buy a new one.

*OK, it was Nokia back then, but even so, MS still want you to buy a new one. They are trying to strike a balance where they get as many new sales as possible, without annoying (or "disenfranchising") their existing users too much. It looks like the 1520 is just the other side of that balance point.

UgnSam07

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
That's so retarded an idea from them. I spent huge amounts getting that only FOUR(4) MONTHS AGO and its so annoying to hear that coming from them. Also the new Lumia devices they're tying to laugh look really bad. Specs on point but looks perfect plus the 1520 is what I'll pick any day if I should get any device

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's so retarded an idea from them. I spent huge amounts getting that only FOUR(4) MONTHS AGO and its so annoying to hear that coming from them. Also the new Lumia devices they're tying to laugh look really bad. Specs on point but looks perfect plus the 1520 is what I'll pick any day if I should get any device

So you'd continue using an inferior Lumia 1520(which I love) simply because the specs are on point for the new lumias but they don't look spectacular.

If I had the ability to cry I would. So I will just laugh.

That being said the 1520 is still a beast today but this is a new generation of windows phones and it makes sense that they are focusing on current models.

Even Samsung announced an update list for their android phones and I am almost positive their galaxy s4 was not on that list. Why? Because they are focusing on present models.

Difference is your phone will eventually get windows 10. Samsung android phones will never get the new android update.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I copied the following from another thread. I didn't change any of it, so don't take it as a direct reply to your post. The main point is that a lot of 1520 owners are making assumptions that probably shouldn't yet be made.

Okay, lets get this straight...

The reason you think the update won't be provided to the L1520 is due to this article on WCentral:

Why you shouldn't worry if your phone is not on the official Windows 10 upgrade list | Windows Central

The reason being that the L1520 is not listed as one of the devices that will "get the update".

That page also suggests that the L1520 is too old to be worthy of an update (I disagree but that's another story). What's not clear is whether that statement about being too old is just a guess as to why the L1520 may ultimately not be eligible for an update, or if WCentral has definitive confirmation that the L1520 won't be updated. That last part is important because this is the original source for that list:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...m%2Fen%2Fmobile%2Fwindows10%2F&token=84ihBdaZ

and on that page MS also states the following:

While we're working hard to make Windows 10 available for other Lumia devices, the following is a first list of Lumia smartphones that will receive a free upgrade when available

Clearly, this list is not telling us which devices will or will not be updated. It's only telling us for which devices MS will prepare W10M ROMs first. More will follow! It's entirely unclear how, based on that list, anyone can conclude which other devices will or will not officially receive W10M.

I can't help but wonder if WCentral may have done a bit too much speculating here. I also wonder whether WCentral may have reported only from the U.S. perspective, where it is entirely possible that AT&T will not provide the W10M update for the L1520, whereas every other L1520 in the world will receive it (similar to how the Icon will not receive the W10M update, whereas the virtually identical L930 will).

I don't think this story is at all settled. I think you're panicking faaaaaaar to soon. If nobody can provide more evidence of the L1520 not being updated to W10M, I'm tempted to call this premature and close the thread.

There's also this thread where we collect everything about release dates and update eligibility that we're currently sure of.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/377693-w10m-release-dates-answers-inside.html

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I think that only applies to carrier locked devices. All (4GB+) unlocked devices should get the update eventually, the normal way.
Only carriers want to freeze out old devices, because they don't support them anymore, and it would be too much trouble. It's way easier for them to just sell you a new phone which has Win10 out of the box. Atleast that's what I think, if I'm wrong, then that really sucks.
that stuff that comes from the wrong end of a bull
This is the most interesting thing I've heard all day.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
All (4GB+) unlocked devices should get the update eventually, the normal way.

This is what I think too.

I'd actually go even further than that, because outside the U.S. carriers are far more likely to push updates to their carrier branded WP devices. The poor support by carriers in the U.S. is the exception, not the norm. If history is anything to go buy, it's not a huge stretch to believe that most L1520s will receive the update through official channels. AT&T U.S. is the only carrier where I'd be surprised if they did officially push W10M to the L1520.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft mentioned months ago, that the 1520 will be able to upgrade to Windows10 mobile, now as, I assume, the release date for Windows10 mobile is near, Microsoft is saying that the 1520 will not be available to the 1520, that is exactly what is being said on Microsoft side of things, correct ?

That is ridiculous, as mentioned the 1520 is better or matches many phones available today and that will most definitely go into 2016 without any concern for 1520 users; Microsoft can't expect 1520 users to drop the 1520 for a new Microsoft branded Lumia so the numbers look good for Microsoft Lumia sales, that won't fly for many 1520 users, Microsoft seriously needs to re-consider this decision, Continuum is a great feature, to which that older Lumia users won't be able to use, Microsoft needs to push features, especially Continuum in parts of the world whereas they are chewing into Android and Apple markets. Apple has been loosing the past quarter in sales, hence a new iPhone in September, I swear it was yesterday that the iPhone 6 was going to do miracles; now a iPhone 6.5 or iPhone 7 !

I want the Lumia line of phone to succeed as much as many loyal Windows Phone users but by ignoring what still is Microsoft flag ship phone, the 1520 from the Windows10 upgrade is not a smart business move.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1) Microsoft mentioned months ago, that the 1520 will be able to upgrade to Windows10 mobile
2) now as, I assume, the release date for Windows10 mobile is near, Microsoft is saying that the 1520 will not be available to the 1520
that is exactly what is being said on Microsoft side of things, correct?

No. Both (1) and (2) are incorrect.

My post three above yours explains why (2) is incorrect.

Number (1) was is incorrect because all we ever had was one anonymous employee on the Lumia twitter channel who mentioned that MS plans to update all devices (L1520 was never specifically mentioned), but as we all know plans can change, particularly when the person making that statement is an anonymous employee rather than a named high level executive.

Saying you plan to do something is not the same as saying you will do something.

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
No need to worry a lot, even if carrier stops the update. I know it's not the best solution, but you can always flash some FW for some CV, it's not that hard job. I've done it with my former phone and probably will now if w10 for my 735 doesn't come in first wave.

Also, i remember that MSFT changed last year the update policy of WP to offer updates for 36months, not just 2 years. Or am I wrong?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, i remember that MSFT changed last year the update policy of WP to offer updates for 36months, not just 2 years. Or am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.

There is no such thing as an MS update policy or update agreement. MS' has a support policy, but that has absolutely nothing to do with updates. The idea that the support duration had anything to do with updates was a popular misunderstanding up until about a year ago, but it's largely gone away since.

MS could have a support policy stretching for 50 years without you ever getting a single update. WP7.8 was in support for three years without ever getting an update.

Support means support... not updates. This means that as a customer with a support contract, you can call MS who promises to have staff on hand who are able to support you throughout the support period. When that duration expires, there is no guarantee MS will still have people who are trained and have time to help you.

None of this has anything to do with whether or not you get updates.

Last edited:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
No need to worry, Windows 10 Mobile will come to the Lumia 1520.

The list that MS released is just the "first" phones that will receive Windows 10.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Part of it is probably not wanting to screw with the carriers. New W10M devices don't need carrier updates. Getting a 1520 or 920 through carrier update checks is a giant pain, so we luckily can use their preview app to circumvent the matter.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft can't extend the Windows 10 update to the 1520 owners. After all they are the most likely to purchase the more expensive upcoming phones.

The guy with the 535 is not going to spend $750 bucks for a new flagship.
So this way they can force 1520 owners to become buyers of City man or whatever they wind up calling it.
If 1520 owners were to hold on to their phones the ship will sink.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
From what I know from a Windows Insider is Windows10 will be coming to the 1520; I suppose nothing is set in stone, so any speculation is just that, speculation.
If 1520 owners were to hold on to their phones the ship will sink.
Not necessarily, Microsoft discontinued the 1520, they need to attract not 1520 users, but new users to the new flagship, when and if a new flag ship arrives; attracting 1520 users to buy a new flagship won't help in the long term. Give 1520 users Windows10 then push the new flagships, if and when they arrive to Android and iPhone users, that and only that will help Microsoft.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
From what I know from a Windows Insider is Windows10 will be coming to the 1520; I suppose nothing is set in stone, so any speculation is just that, speculation.

Not necessarily, Microsoft discontinued the 1520, they need to attract not 1520 users, but new users to the new flagship, when and if a new flag ship arrives; attracting 1520 users to buy a new flagship won't help in the long term. Give 1520 users Windows10 then push the new flagships, if and when they arrive to Android and iPhone users, that and only that will help Microsoft.

Honestly , I was just adding a silly comment to a silly thread :)

1. My 1520.3 makes and takes phone calls
2. Handles text and SMS perfectly
3.The GPS has gotten me expertly around the U.S. and Canada and continues to do so
4.The camera in capable hands is absolutely awesome
4. Video capture is as good or better than that of my long gone iPhone 6plus
5. Audio when recording video is best in class. No distortion when recording close to a band in a loud environment.
6. The screen is awesome!
7. Customizable fluid interface can't be beat.
8. Everyday apps, weather email, one drive word etc. work perfect.
9. Totally capable of playing my music collection from my phone with playlist created on my computer.
10. IPhone folks constantly asking me did you shoot that with your phone? Annoying to say the least.

*****and all this is before we get the final windows 10. And those of you have problems with the latest windows 10, this too shall past as the problems are fragmented. Myself and many others aren't experiencing any problems and I suspect soon enough you won't either.*******

Don't act like you didn't know it was gonna be a rough ride to get there.
As long as I can go to a loud music festival or into dark loud clubs and capture video and audio at this level, I feel I have a flagship device that just happens to make calls. Quit worrying about what others have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism