I understand why Microsoft chose software buttons.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced burn in on any phone with onscreen buttons? That's my main concern.

I have that with my capacitive buttons and the usual WP circle navigation elements.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I really like the idea of on screen buttons. When I first got my M8 WIndows I wasn't sure how I would feel about them, but soon it became second nature. I turned my M8 into a brick over the weekend and picked up a (dun dun dunnnnnn) LG G4 to get me by until the Talkman/Cityman gets released. It also has the on screen buttons. I think I would have a harder time getting used to fixed buttons again.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That is true, but if you connect a keyboard, you can use ESC or Backspace to navigate back, so there's that.
I'm still a fan of capacitive buttons, mostly because they don't take away your precious screen space. That's a big deal breaker for me, and I'm not planing to buy any device with on screen buttons anytime soon. Unless it has some gestures or smth, that can replace buttons so they can always be hidden.

what I don't get though, most devices with onscreen buttons actually make the display LARGER to compensate specifically for those buttons. While some devices do dip into your screen, not all do, your argument is using bad implementation as the example..

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If the bezel is already there then having the buttons makes the unit look better and you can save on screen space. I use them so much i can't see myself constantly hiding the software version. Good programming would allow a user with these buttons to connect a mouse and have the software navigation appear and then disappear once the mouse is disconnected.

The real reason is to satisfy OEMs. This way they can develop 1 unit that works across both android and windows. And I don't think they want to outdo any OEMs or cause any tension. I don't really see any other reason. I love how the buttons light up and it just makes the phone look more premium and shiny. hehe

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Your phone has IPS type of display, only OLED type is sufferibg from burn in, like on 735, 1020, Ativ S, etc.

Yes, that's another thing that worries me about the on screen buttons. Unless they use w-oled which is less prone to burn-in, but doubt it as only LG uses it on their tv's.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 920 since it launched in 2012 and learned to really like the capacitive buttons. I heard that the new 950 would have on screen buttons and I was sure that I would hate them. Two weeks ago I got a 640 with on screen buttons and I would say that I am learning to actually prefer them. For one, they seem to work just as well as the capacitive buttons on the 920. Secondly, they dim along with the rest of the screen so they are not too bright at night. And, finally, I can hide them when I am watching video or viewing photos.

I was highly skeptical, but now I am sold on on-screen buttons.

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I prefer virtual nav bar (L640). The only issue I have is games that have UI elements near the edges - the pop-up nav bar and game elements compete with each other (i.e. Toy Defense). Otherwise prefer virtual due to fewer accidental "search" clicks.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
My opinion: Personally, i prefer capacitive buttons. They don't wear off as easily as physical ones and don't look cheap like virtual ones; i don't think they'd look good on flagships. I also think that on-screen buttons on Oled screens (like the 730) are a terrible idea.

Never had a single issue related to accidental taps with capacitive buttons, no matter what phone size.

And btw, their lights go off when the phone's sensor detects it's dark.

Bayu Murti

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
You wanna know my solution about mouse thing in Windows 10 Mobile?
Use capacitive buttons but when user connect a mouse, display virtual buttons

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes