What happens to WP8.1 apps when W10Mobile is complete?

sully9088

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
So my primary phone is a Lumia 1020. I recently made a purchase in the app store for Puzzle Quest 2. I was excited to see this app in the Windows 10 store (on desktop), but it does not exist there. I'm assuming its because it is not a "universal app". My question is what happens to all my awesome WP8.1 apps when W10Mobile comes out? Will those apps disappear as well? Will Windows 10 Store have different apps on Phone and Desktop? I know they are trying to be "universal", but will developers have the option to keep apps strictly Desktop or Phone?

hb1x

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
re:

Yep. Developers do have the option to restrict their apps to be used only on phone/desktop.

WP apps that aren't updated will be exclusive to WP only.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

So my primary phone is a Lumia 1020. I recently made a purchase in the app store for Puzzle Quest 2. I was excited to see this app in the Windows 10 store (on desktop), but it does not exist there. I'm assuming its because it is not a "universal app". My question is what happens to all my awesome WP8.1 apps when W10Mobile comes out? Will those apps disappear as well? Will Windows 10 Store have different apps on Phone and Desktop? I know they are trying to be "universal", but will developers have the option to keep apps strictly Desktop or Phone?

Very good question.

Obviously, once W10M is "officially" out, W8.1's lifespan will be limited, and support will end at some point (maybe someone can fill in those details from MS).

Regardless of the app updates from W8.1 to W10M, will MS provide updates, firmware, app updates, etc. to keep the L1020 at its best? I doubt it.

My expectation with my L1020, which I mainly use for photos and photography apps (Lumia apps, etc.) and fun stuff, will likely forever remain on W8.1.

I suggest that you keep routine backups of your L1020, in the event you need to reset and want to reload.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

Developers that are active will most likely update their code to make their apps universal, after all it does give you access to a lot more users or potential buyers, but developers who fail to update... Well those apps won't be accessible to those already on w10, because they aren't in the store, but if you have the app on your phone when updating to w10, then it should still be there after you restore your backup

sully9088

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Thanks friend. That is nice to know that I will still have some of my good apps when W10 mobile arrives. I hope the devs update them, and I hope I don't accidentally lose them somehow. Doing backups and resets make me nervous. There is a really cool calendar app for 8.1 that I will need when W10mobile arrives. The new calendar app for W10mobile doesn't fit my taste

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3