Why isn't Build 10512 downloading (Hard reset broke my phone.)?

Andreas Lenac

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Build 10512 isn't downloading. Hard reset broke my phone.

So I went and checked for updates to download the latest build, and as I tap Download, the progress bar as usually starts at 0%. Then, after 20ish minutes, it isn't moving. At all. Stuck at 0%. Then I tried to do a soft reset. A few times, actually, hoping it would perhaps fix it. Nope, still stuck at 0%. Note that I have a pretty good Wi-Fi connection and internet speed. Downloading updates or anything for that matter, on any device, never has been a problem. So that's one issue.

Then I got sick of updates not downloading, battery life suddenly turning into battery life of an LG Cookie from 2008, Photos app not working properly, and some other genuine and well-known bugs, and I went for a hard reset. First, I did a backup to make sure everything's nice and backed up on the cloud, and that worked wonderfully without any issues. And I did a hard reset. Now I'm almost 3 hrs in, and the white gears are still spinning. God damn it. The progress bar reaches approximately two thirds, and then the phone vibrates and flashes the progress bar right back to 0%. This phone must hate me. And Windows 10.

I did not and will not contact Microsoft Support. Or their forums. It's been proven useless to me by now, unfortunately. Thank God Windows Central has a pretty great forum for this.

Useful:

Device: Nokia Lumia 930
Software: Windows 10 Preview build 10166

If you need any other info, please tell me. I'd be more than happy to give it to you. I'm really not in the mood to use the Phone Recovery Tool and rollback, then go back to W10. When you rollback, you loose 40% of the start layout, apps and other things. Then you have to manually redo all of those things, including download apps (which is horribly annoying in W10) and waiting a lot of time for everything to settle. I'd be really happy if I could avoid that. Also, this is my daily-use phone (I know, that was stupid of me), so please help me. In any way.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Build 10512 isn't downloading. Hard reset broke my phone.

Wasn't 10240 a leaked build? I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade from that one. So you'll have to go back to 8.1, then 10166, then 10512.
As for the 'download stuck at 0%' problem, I had it also, and the way I managed to force it is by not letting the screen lock. You go to Updates, Check for Updates, and just wait, when it shows you 'Downloading 0%', just keep touching the screen so it doesn't lock itself. Not a guaranteed fix, but it worked for me.

Andreas Lenac

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, I'm sorry, I confused it with PC. I had the legit build, build 10166. Apologies, I messed up. I fixed it in the post :)

If I manage to fix the hard reset progress (which is still ongoing), I'll be tapping it, alright. Thank you!

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I cant get mine to update either. Ugh. Gonna try the tapping thing again, and keep it on a solid connection.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Don't hold my word for it, it just worked for me. I don't want people tapping all night then cursing me the next day. :grin:
Post here if it worked or if it didn't work so other people know.

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Just Let it Rest! Once Downloading is started just Use ur Phone as Usual but keep it connected to Internet! its a Bug in update it stays at 0% sometimes after 15 20 min it goes to 50% sometimes directly Prepartion is started so DOnt turn off or reset ur phone! Start download and Forget it! It'll ask u on end to Restart to finish installing! n Yeah u must be on 10166 !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills