A very good Article which answers many questions about windows mobile 10.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This article is saying the exact same things I've been saying this entire last week starting from the first page in this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/385745-should-new-lumia-devices-sold-loss.html

TheVerge said:
Windows 10 phones are not intended to grab market share or establish a profitable revenue source. The Lumias that are coming this week serve as a form of fan service and as a preview for what Microsoft will be able to do in the future.
Either way, chasing market share is not W10M's goal.
These [950/XL] are built for existing WM enthusiasts. Us basically. For nobody else.
I actually question whether MS is earning any money on these at all, even at $700. There is no set price at which a phone is guaranteed to make a profit, as it must first recoup the hundreds of millions MS invests in software and hardware engineering. That means the only way to make a profit is by selling high-end devices, with high margins, in large numbers... something high-end Lumias don't typically do.

TheVerge said:
Microsoft has also given up competing directly
WP is along for the ride, and may eventually play a role as an enabler for some alternative strategy to enter the mobile market, but the view that W10M as a smartphone OS, is being pitting directly against Android or iOS in a bid for consumer favor and market share.. that chapter is over.

TheVerge said:
Windows 10 Mobile and the devices powered by it will be just a piece of Microsoft’s broader mobile strategy — rather than the crux of it, as they were with Windows Phone 7.
WM is no longer of major relevance in and as of itself. It isn't required to be a successful product in its own right. It needs only to serve its purpose as a component of MS' overarching UWP vision.

I wish WCentral could have come out with this first, but at least I'm not the only one saying this anymore...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What it really means is NOW Windows Phone is truly dead in less than 2 hours. It's all about Windows 10 devices. It is all an extension of Windows desktop in all the form factors. If you want your desktop extending to whatever you do, you wear, you hold - you have a form factor. But if you want a truly mobile OS with mobile apps, it is all about iOS and Android. WP is no more.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What it really means is NOW Windows Phone is truly dead in less than 2 hours. It's all about Windows 10 devices. It is all an extension of Windows desktop in all the form factors. If you want your desktop extending to whatever you do, you wear, you hold - you have a form factor. But if you want a truly mobile OS with mobile apps, it is all about iOS and Android. WP is no more.

I agree it is about Windows 10 now. I'm not sure about the 'truly mobile OS' bit. Windows 10 is a perfectly good mobile OS too.

But yes, nothing is about Windows Phone anymore. Apps and services will be focused on Windows 10 alone and the desktop will receive the benefit of that, as will the mobile.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree it is about Windows 10 now. I'm not sure about the 'truly mobile OS' bit. Windows 10 is a perfectly good mobile OS too.

But yes, nothing is about Windows Phone anymore. Apps and services will be focused on Windows 10 alone and the desktop will receive the benefit of that, as will the mobile.

Perfect mobile OS is the one that has all the mobile apps you will ever need or want. Right now that is iOS. The sheer amount of apps, the sheer quality is mind blowing. That is what keeps even an "outdated" looking row of icons increasing in sales every launch.

Windows 10 WILL NOT bring apps for phones. Not in any near future. If at all Windows 10 is to bring new apps and services to mobile devices, that is going to take another 5 years to be real. App situation won't fix. Windows 10 is however, powerful enough to allow porting and we may see quick benefits of being able to use apps on other stores, on everything that runs Windows 10. But hasn't blackberry done that already and eventually gone to Android OS?

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
A recent study showed that about 2/3 of all time was spent in the users top 5 apps, virtually all of the rest in the next 5. To me, most people don't need hundreds of apps, they just want them just in case.

Edit

I found it, and I was incorrect. What it said was: "50% of All App Time is Concentrated Within Our #1 App, and 88% is Within the Top 5" which is even more narrow.

http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Blog/How-the-Power-of-Habit-Drives-Mobile-App-Usage

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
while it raises questions, I'll take anything written by "The 'we love Apple and despise Microsoft' Verge" with a large grain of salt.
If you don't trust them, you'd be wise to at least trust me 😉

Seriously though, in general I feel the same as you do about the Verge, but Vlad Savov is trustworthy. He's written a lot of objective and fair articles on WP in the past. The author is what matters, more so than the website.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Perfect mobile OS is the one that has all the mobile apps you will ever need or want. Right now that is iOS. The sheer amount of apps, the sheer quality is mind blowing. That is what keeps even an "outdated" looking row of icons increasing in sales every launch.

Windows 10 WILL NOT bring apps for phones. Not in any near future. If at all Windows 10 is to bring new apps and services to mobile devices, that is going to take another 5 years to be real. App situation won't fix. Windows 10 is however, powerful enough to allow porting and we may see quick benefits of being able to use apps on other stores, on everything that runs Windows 10. But hasn't blackberry done that already and eventually gone to Android OS?

Blackberry didn't have a billion desktop PCs to bring into the equation. Windows 10 is a long game from the largest software company in the world.

But yes, an iPhone is the best mobile device today without doubt. But I'll still be staying with Windows Mobile. I don't like having to line the pockets of Apple buying premium devices. And I don't like the lack of security of Android. Windows Mobile is the nice middle spot. Even with its less apps.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It points out my complaints about WP10 that I've been making for a while. It no longer feels like a mobile device. Ease of use, features and optimizations for a smartphone are all gone. It sucks they made those sacrifices. It has now become an app launcher.

This also makes sense that the phone app has reportedly made an appearance on the desktop.

I already have two laptops, Surface and a desktop. I do not want/need continuum.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It is interesting that I posted the same link in the Off Topic Lounge. Anyway I agree with a5cent that Vlad is one of the more even keel headed people on The Verge staff.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This article is saying the exact same things I've been saying this entire last week starting from the first page in this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/385745-should-new-lumia-devices-sold-loss.html
. . . .

I wish WCentral could have come out with this first, but at least I'm not the only one saying this anymore...

Well you're not the only who has seen this coming albeit yourself and few others have been more vocal about it :winktongue:.

I imagine they didn't as it would have probably been drowned out in the sea of negativity that's been floating around lately. Not to mention Daniel would have probably been hammered weeks on end as apparently he drinks whiskey when reads the comments section on Windows Central (he answered someone's question the weekly ask Dan segments - if he drinks whiskey before he reads the comments on windows central - Video #8) - I don't blame him lol.

The funny thing is I'm actually feeling optimistic about the future of phones as because they are no longer focusing on the numbers. Yes, I know it's a numbers game but think about it they did go mental with phones coming out every other month.

It was just ridiculous as phones started overlapping and phone perceived to be upgrades from the predecessor were actually downgrades. No more playing jenga with features - oh let's remove the ffc on this model, cut the storage in half etc.

They took the momentum built by the 520 and just butchered it lol.

The fact that they looked at the problem with 810 (as it's known to overheat) they came up with solution - liquid cooling on the phones that meant it wouldn't start to throttle down drastically when playing games. Other OEM's have elected to go down the throttling route thus really negating the benefits of the 810 chip, sure it has other benefits over the 808 but there is not really much difference in terms of basic functionality. It's the upper end of the spectrum where the 810 chip comes alive.

Everything in that event really showed they are no longer focused on reiterative devices or making things thin just because it's the norm. Rarely I've seen such a authentic, honest, forward and sharp speaking presenter like Panos Panay - for instance he literally said it on stage that going beyond a certain point of thinness is going to give diminishing returns and that is true as it impacts the structural integrity of the device *cough* 6+ *cough*. I don't recall seeing anyone saying that on stage as bluntly as that. If any one does - link a video and I'll retract that statement.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the going forward and especially under Panos Panay I wouldn't be surprised to see even more crazy stuff coming from them as the teams are no longer siloed; it really showed with the Surface book and water cooling solution on the 950 + 950 XL.

Only one thing left to do...

Jump out the proverbial window? :winktongue:

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
WP is probably on the way out, but, there is still a market for mobile devices. Win 10 has been a bit of a game changer, and with it everywhere, including your Xbox soon, Microsoft are definitely playing the long game. Giving away a full desktop OS means that it is still the biggest OS, and now it's becoming clear that they were thinking long term, even avoiding a win 9 and going straight to 10, and going for a complete ecosystem.

As for apps, not bothered. Seen iOS and Droid app stores, and apart from the basics, of which win store has any way, most of the gaming apps are the same, just rehashed many times over. Take a look at 2048. 10's of 2048, all rip offs, and yet crapple and droid list them individually and count towards the hundreds of thousands of apps.
Yes, youtube would be nice, facebook yes etc, and hopefully they can be ported.

Windows Phone is dead. Long live Windows 10 mobile!

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If this article surprises you, then you didn't listen when Satya Nadella addressed MSFT when he first took over as CEO. This was never about WP trying to win over the hearts and minds as an individual entity. It was about a collaborative effort to to maximize the Windows 10 experience. WP isn't going to sway users if they're looking at it merely from a mobile phone experience. Where it will entice people is, enterprises and consumers that are immersed in the Windows ecosystem. Think of Azure as the brain of the Windows 10 body, each hardware component represents a body part. The desktop is the torso, the tablets and laptops are the arms, and the phones would be the lower extremities. Sure you can move around with other components but not with the seamless integration that you'd get with using a WP10 device.

ejlee072006

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Good bye WINDOWS PHONE
WELCOME BACK WINDOWS MOBILE! it was a good 5 years with you
Htc 7
T-Mobile first LUMIA
Titan Titan 2
LUMIA 900
LUMIA 920
LUMIA 1520
The end....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not in enterprise or anything like that so windows mobile isn't for me so when windows decides to get serious with mobile too then ill come back but until then what I need in a phone ms just can't offer it was fun thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3