Windows 10 Continuum Dilemma

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If the display dock, for Windows 10 Continuum, is going to cost $100 like Microsoft says, why not just get a stick pc for a bit more or even cheaper?

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10/09/microsofts-continuum-smartphone-dock-price-revealed/

The 6 Best Stick PCs | Digital Trends

- It is arguably more compact than a display dock + all the cables needed.
- More powerful with Intel Atom processors
- Able to run all of the windows desktop grade programs + Windows universal apps.
- Your phone is cord free to be used freely.
- No need for a phone to begin with.
- Extra storage room in the PC.

There are some very compelling stick PCs out there; and the price is only going to go down.

I think continuum made sense when computers and tablets were more expensive, and more importantly, bigger. But now, cheap and small PCs are easily obtainable. If it were my money, I would just get an intel stick PC rather than a display dock that needs a phone to function.

With a stick PC, you can effectively turn any TV screen, monitor, or any other visual peripherals into your Windows computer.

To reiterate, you could get an ENTIRE PC for the price of the display dock accessory. If you really want to connect your phone, you could just get a usb cable and connect your phone to the usb slot on the stick PC.

intel-compute-stick-large-1500x1001.jpg

Last edited:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The dock is an interesting one - to use it you need all the other peripherals, monitor, kb and mouse, cabling etc ... If you have all that why wouldn't you have an actual pc? In business one can pick up entire pc setups for under ?300, vat free etc with multiple year sla agreements. So, again, why wouldn't you have a pc setup? Going for presentations... Most projector or display setups have usb. Again, why use continuum? Third world markets where people can't afford pc devices, one still needs the peripherals. Yes, that stick computer is an alternate. The surface is an alternate also, and bound to do far more. Of course, this is only the first person and so will be very nice and probably only useful to the niche techy types. I have no doubt, in the future, that MSFT will make this tech a whole lot more compelling and useful, and at a price point where it is far more accessible. At the moment to use continuum you need to spend about ?700 or more (phone, kb and mouse, monitor, dock, cabling)... Buy a surface? But then you don't have a phone... Choices choices choices!!!! The future looks good, we'll have oc tatoos that have the oomph of a supercomputer. We're not there yet.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So we are going to ignore the free MS Office and free LTE wireless service?

Sure then in The Land of Make Believe it is too much.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I suppose for a small Enterprise buying a multi user license might be a bit much, though msft sell em cheap and resellers have many many deals. Free lte um it's paid for per month? How is it free?? If it's free I want a couple! So, on top of peripheral costs, office fixed and variable costs that'll include the broadband, giving WiFi, one adds lte on a mobile... Sorry but it is extra. And I still think its a cheap entry without. Lte isn't free at all. Nor is the phone or the dock or the monitor etc.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
First, the dock is not required for Continuum.
Second, a "PC stick" won't have your files on it like your phone would.
Third, I don't think the Intel Atom is more powerful.
Fourth, the dock is not required for Continuum.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Lol all very true! I think we were just discussing the viability of the dock and setup. Also, don't the Intel sticks have sdxc? Either way, all correct ;)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Free lte um it's paid for per month? How is it free??

I have a grandfathered unlimited LTE plan. It is a sunk cost. I would have that whether I use Continuum or not. So with Continuum I have full MS Office and unlimited LTE in a desktop computer anywhere I have a monitor or HDMI TV including hotel rooms and my parents house for $100 with the dock? Works for me.

You have to also realize in third world countries cellular is way more available than land lines. Continuum for some is the only straight forward way to get desktop internet at a reasonable cost.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a grandfathered unlimited LTE plan. It is a sunk cost. I would have that whether I use Continuum or not. So with Continuum I have full MS Office and unlimited LTE in a desktop computer anywhere I have a monitor or HDMI TV including hotel rooms and my parents house for $100 with the dock? Works for me.

You have to also realize in third world countries cellular is way more available than land lines. Continuum for some is the only straight forward way to get desktop internet at a reasonable cost.
Ok fair enough. But you have to concede that is a circumstance particular to you and not the norm buy any stretch of the imagination. When someone looks at these phones, in a shop or wherever, all these factors will have to be considered. Of course, it comes down to personal choice. I live in the UK and, aside from rural areas, one can get lte in most places, and yes it's included in my monthly bill - whether that is a justification for investing in a continuum setup I don't know. If the local economics dictate that mobile broadband is the only way to get internet, then sure this is a very viable option. Though I question why someone wouldn't get a surface instead but you do make a point. For those circumstances ;)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok fair enough. But you have to concede that is a circumstance particular to you and not the norm buy any stretch of the imagination.

I'm just pushing back against this notion Continuum is useless. I am not trying to say this feature is for everyone.

I live in the UK and, aside from rural areas, one can get lte in most places, and yes it's included in my monthly bill - whether that is a justification for investing in a continuum setup I don't know. If the local economics dictate that mobile broadband is the only way to get internet, then sure this is a very viable option. Though I question why someone wouldn't get a surface instead but you do make a point. For those circumstances ;)

The problem I've had with a lot of solutions is lack of always on internet. With unlimited LTE data I've gotten so comfortable not having to search for wifi. A lot of devices are cool but then I will have to spend $30+ for data. The other thing is I don't necessarily need to use data on a laptop or whatever every month... but with a plan I still have to pay for it whether I use or not.

I just think when you factor in not having to pay for tethering nor MS Office it just seems dumb to complain about $100 for people who will actually use the product. If you aren't going to use MS Office or the data feature then $20 would be too much. Heck paying $10 for a Space Shuttle would be too much for me. But I have no need for a Space Shuttle.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm just pushing back against this notion Continuum is useless. I am not trying to say this feature is for everyone.

The problem I've had with a lot of solutions is lack of always on internet. With unlimited LTE data I've gotten so comfortable not having to search for wifi. A lot of devices are cool but then I will have to spend $30+ for data. The other thing is I don't necessarily need to use data on a laptop or whatever every month... but with a plan I still have to pay for it whether I use or not.

I just think when you factor in not having to pay for tethering nor MS Office it just seems dumb to complain about $100 for people who will actually use the product. If you aren't going to use MS Office or the data feature then $20 would be too much. Heck paying $10 for a Space Shuttle would be too much for me. But I have no need for a Space Shuttle.
You make perfectly valid points, especially since you've explained your own particular situation - it's not a solution for everyone. Then again it isn't meant to be. Most people will have a data plan so they'll either have a phone that does all this our just tether to a tablet, or have a tablet with data, like the surface 3 (why the sp4 doesn't have lte I don't know) etc etc. All valid choices. Also, continuum isn't useless by any stretch of the imagination - peoples needs differ and if this solution is for them then great, and of not there are many alternatives. I for one am thankful technology is moving so fast ;).
Also: The Intel computer stick does have sdxc support, so I dunno 2tb? And the OneDrive is another viable option. Basically, there are plenty of solutions to choose from!!!

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

To have your phone files on your PC stick, just get a usb cable, or use a Wifi access for your files. It's got holes for USB you know? :)

Of course, it's got a full Onedrive integration if you want to go that route too

You could also stick your micro sd card into the stick PC if you want.

Choose one.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

Last edited:

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So we are going to ignore the free MS Office and free LTE wireless service?

Sure then in The Land of Make Believe it is too much.

The only real valid point is the free office suite.

If you want LTE data for your PC, you could always make a Hotspot or bluetooth tether it. No need for another data plan for the PC stick either.

While the PC stick does not come with MS Office, being a full desktop windows system, it can run drivers for your printers, scanners, etc, which would not be possible on a phone.

Moreover, you can have all the desktop programs with a full desktop Windows!

Seriously, there is no comparison between a phone and a full desktop PC stick.

For running Continuum on a wireless connection, it remains to be seen how smooth it is.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Continuum is a great feature. And as time goes on, it will become more powerful. Instead of 2/3 apps maximum well be seeing 6 next year (I'm guessing) I'm not sure but maybe the PC as we know it is obsolete? Tablets, phablets and your continuum is the way of the world now? I don't know the statistics but a business purchasing 100 Lumias on contract and 100 docks (wholesale) wouldn't be cheaper than 100 PC's? (this is a genuine question) so maybe businesses will be transforming to be more productive anywhere anytime?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
If you want LTE data for your PC, you could always make a Hotspot or bluetooth tether it.

I don't have LTE for my PC. I have it for my phone and I have never been able to tether it to anything... Not without paying a fee. So add that monthly fee to your calculation and $100 doesn't look that bad.

While the PC stick does not come with MS Office, being a full desktop windows system, it can run drivers for your printers, scanners, etc, which would not be possible on a phone.

If I can't write a word document what good is being able to print my make believe document? And who says Continuum doesn't have drivers enabling printing? Frankly I was underwhelmed by the phone portion of the presentation. How many days have we spent on here debunking misinformation simply because MSFT couldn't put together a comprehensive presentation?

Moreover, you can have all the desktop programs with a full desktop Windows!

Except MS Office... The most important application and the one I use the most outside of my browser.

Seriously, there is no comparison between a phone and a full desktop PC stick.

I agree once you add in the price of MS Office and $30+/month for LTE data Continuum is much cheaper.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Continuum is a great feature. And as time goes on, it will become more powerful. Instead of 2/3 apps maximum well be seeing 6 next year (I'm guessing) I'm not sure but maybe the PC as we know it is obsolete? Tablets, phablets and your continuum is the way of the world now? I don't know the statistics but a business purchasing 100 Lumias on contract and 100 docks (wholesale) wouldn't be cheaper than 100 PC's? (this is a genuine question) so maybe businesses will be transforming to be more productive anywhere anytime?

It's a great feature indeed but extremely limited. In the demos they were showing, you can't snap Windows side by side, and you can't change window sizes.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I think the stick PC is missing the point. The idea is that your phone becomes your PC. You come home, drop your phone into a dock and it becomes your PC with a large display and keyboard/mouse setup. You can't have all that with a stick PC.

Besides Stick PC is for businesses. Not sexy for consumer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3