USB connection pc

koffiejunk

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah tried also everything.. Make alot of pictures for work with lumia. Normally I would hook up to pc and store them..now I have to mail them with outlook very annoying.

Jakub Suchy

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I had a same problem. Finally I was able to resolve it.
So my story..
I have Win 10 build 10586.11 on my desktop and same build on my phone Lumia 930.
In 10586 or maybe earlier there was announced that feature 'Hey cortana' is present. On my phone it wasn't... So I did factory reset and after that the problems with connecting it to my PC started...
As you said, when connected to PC, nothing happened.
1. I searched the internet for answers and didn't find any about this specific problem.
2. So I tried doing factory reset again, but still didn't work.
3. Then I tried using "Windows Device Recovery Tool", with thoughts that with it, it would install needed drivers and it would resolve itself. It didn't resolve the problem..
4. However in WDRT there is a step that recognized my phone, but only in it's boot sequence. (In device manager it said 'Lumia BootMgr'), which obviously wasn't enough for me, because I didn't have proper connection for file transfers or Visual Studio app deployment.
5. So the next step was searching for another drivers, I found "Nokia Software Recovery Tool", installed it, but it was useless.
6. Then I found another drivers which were 'something.inf', installed them, useless again.
7. So my next step was contacting MS Tech Support, they gladly redirected me to Windows Phone Support, but they wasn't there (they are not there for 24/7)..
8. So I realized my only option was to try downgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 via WDRT... So I tried to enter that Lumia BootMgr connection again, but I couldn't do it! It always connected for a few seconds and disconnected again and WDRT didn't recognize that. I was desperate..
9. I tried factory resets again, I tried reinstalling WDRT and all other drivers, but nothing helped... Then I tried another USB port and it worked....... ( NOT Obviously this connection can't be made through any USB Hub. At first I was connecting the phone to the front USB ports on my desktop, but that is ALSO a USB Hub. So you have to connect it in the back side!)
10. Then the phone got recognized in WDRT, I was able to start downloading dowgrade, where the connection also disconnected, but after the downgrade downloaded there was an option to reconnect, so after soft-restarting phone It connected and started downgrade sequence successfully.
11. After downgrade was complete everything worked. Connection to PC worked, but I didn't want to using WP 8.1, so I upgraded it again to Win 10 Mobile latest build, but the thing was, that I didn't choose to restore my backup in WP 8.1 so after upgrade there was not my backup restored and I had to factory reset on Win 10 Mob again. After that I restored my backup settings and tried to connect it to PC and it WORKS! Finally :).

So for you guys the proper sequence to resolve it should be:
1. Download Windows Device Recovery Tool.
2. Connect you phone to the PC through back side usbs. (do not use any front USBs or USBs through any HUB)
3. In WDRT click the button, that your phone wasn't recognized.
4. After a while you will be asked to soft-restart your phone through pressing volume down + power for like 11sec until phone vibrates a bit.
5. When phone gets recognized in WDRT you click to Install previous version or something like that
6. After downgrading to Windows Phone 8.1 you restore your settings!
7. When everything is quiet you download Windows Insider app, configure it to get slow/fast ring builds.
8a. You upgrade your phone to Win 10 Mob and everything should work.
8b. If something wasn't restored properly you Factory reset your phone and select your backup again and everything should be fine now.

I hope that this helps. If it does, then PLEASE If you come across this post after some time of searching. Please do spread the link of this post to another sources where you looked and didn't find the answer. So the next guy searching for it has less work than you had. :)

Jacob, Czech Republic

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Did you do a hard-reset on build 10581? If so that caused corruption that as far as I can tell can only be 100% resolved by using WDRT to go back to WP8.1 and then upgrading again.

Though I saw one person report that they were able to solve the problem be removing and formatting their SD card in a PC. (Though the 930 doesn't have an SD slot as I recall, so that won't help you.)

So if you want it fixed, restore to WP 8.1...

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
No, Hard-reset was done on 10586... As I have other bugs, I'll wait for the WDRT to restore a win10 version before doing it. It's a lot of time to restore, then update, then apply backup, etc.....

beingshaz

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issue. Bt now its resolved.thnx to Microsoft service centre after charging 458₹ they downgraded the my phone to WP8.1

beingshaz

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
U can do it by urself if u have internet connection.just use WDRT.
If ur device is not recognized by pc,go to device manager uninstall every serial port and then try to connect ur phone.it will help u .mh friend wid nl920 done this n he was successfully able to restore to wp8.1 and every thing working fine.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I had a same problem. Finally I was able to resolve it.
So my story..
I have Win 10 build 10586.11 on my desktop and same build on my phone Lumia 930.
In 10586 or maybe earlier there was announced that feature 'Hey cortana' is present. On my phone it wasn't... So I did factory reset and after that the problems with connecting it to my PC started...
As you said, when connected to PC, nothing happened.
1. I searched the internet for answers and didn't find any about this specific problem.
2. So I tried doing factory reset again, but still didn't work.
3. Then I tried using "Windows Device Recovery Tool", with thoughts that with it, it would install needed drivers and it would resolve itself. It didn't resolve the problem..
4. However in WDRT there is a step that recognized my phone, but only in it's boot sequence. (In device manager it said 'Lumia BootMgr'), which obviously wasn't enough for me, because I didn't have proper connection for file transfers or Visual Studio app deployment.
5. So the next step was searching for another drivers, I found "Nokia Software Recovery Tool", installed it, but it was useless.
6. Then I found another drivers which were 'something.inf', installed them, useless again.
7. So my next step was contacting MS Tech Support, they gladly redirected me to Windows Phone Support, but they wasn't there (they are not there for 24/7)..
8. So I realized my only option was to try downgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 via WDRT... So I tried to enter that Lumia BootMgr connection again, but I couldn't do it! It always connected for a few seconds and disconnected again and WDRT didn't recognize that. I was desperate..
9. I tried factory resets again, I tried reinstalling WDRT and all other drivers, but nothing helped... Then I tried another USB port and it worked....... ( NOT Obviously this connection can't be made through any USB Hub. At first I was connecting the phone to the front USB ports on my desktop, but that is ALSO a USB Hub. So you have to connect it in the back side!)
10. Then the phone got recognized in WDRT, I was able to start downloading dowgrade, where the connection also disconnected, but after the downgrade downloaded there was an option to reconnect, so after soft-restarting phone It connected and started downgrade sequence successfully.
11. After downgrade was complete everything worked. Connection to PC worked, but I didn't want to using WP 8.1, so I upgraded it again to Win 10 Mobile latest build, but the thing was, that I didn't choose to restore my backup in WP 8.1 so after upgrade there was not my backup restored and I had to factory reset on Win 10 Mob again. After that I restored my backup settings and tried to connect it to PC and it WORKS! Finally :).

So for you guys the proper sequence to resolve it should be:
1. Download Windows Device Recovery Tool.
2. Connect you phone to the PC through back side usbs. (do not use any front USBs or USBs through any HUB)
3. In WDRT click the button, that your phone wasn't recognized.
4. After a while you will be asked to soft-restart your phone through pressing volume down + power for like 11sec until phone vibrates a bit.
5. When phone gets recognized in WDRT you click to Install previous version or something like that
6. After downgrading to Windows Phone 8.1 you restore your settings!
7. When everything is quiet you download Windows Insider app, configure it to get slow/fast ring builds.
8a. You upgrade your phone to Win 10 Mob and everything should work.
8b. If something wasn't restored properly you Factory reset your phone and select your backup again and everything should be fine now.

I hope that this helps. If it does, then PLEASE If you come across this post after some time of searching. Please do spread the link of this post to another sources where you looked and didn't find the answer. So the next guy searching for it has less work than you had. :)

Jacob, Czech Republic

No such luck on my ICON glad it worked out for you though... No hard reset on 581 either, I hard reset on 586... maybe a update will fix it. Like you hey cortana was not functional on 586 and that is where I discovered the usb malfunction... was going to roll back to 8.1 and upgrade... again

kkss123

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Maybe my idea will seem silly, but how about USB hubs? I was saved this device. The computer just takes my Lumia as a regular USB flash. Here I found good reviews for usb hubs, if you suddenly decide to take my advice.

tty2

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Same problem,
I have also Win 10 on my desktop + Lumia 930 (Wp10m) and when connected to PC, nothing happened.
I foud that it works with Phone Companion app

The Phone Companion app is built-in to Windows 10, and it will tell you how to automatically get the things you love from your PC to your phone or tablet. (You can also plug your phone or tablet into your PC and use File Explorer to move files manually.) Search for "Phone Companion" in the search box on your PC's taskbar to open it.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I finally got some love with this problem on my Lumia Icon.....

When you click my device is not detected, press volume down and power button at the same time.

When the phone vibrates release them then press the power button a couple of times immediately

Windows device recovery will detect and download your software for your device....

My icon was not detected again to install the software so....

Power button and volume down button again till vibrates

press power button couple of times

got notification bleep phone detected on desktop and immediately clicked intall

rollback went smooth as silk I'm now on 8.1 denium....

will update further soon as I upgrade to 10 again....

Hope this helps everyone.

*Update*
Everything Works!

USB syncing, slow charging error gone, gadgets now works, hey cortana works, even auto brightness for the screen works.. One happy person here...

8.1 denium updates to 586.29 then to 586.39...

Have not hard reset and I am reluctant to now ;)

Good luck to everyone else and happy holidays!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs