How can I fix my custom text tones on contacts?

jsl101669

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Custom text tones on contacts

Want to see if anyone is experiencing this on this latest build of WP 10:

So I have some custom text tones for certain contacts (wife, kid, etc) so that when I get a text I know who it is before I even look at the phone. BUT, if I go into the notifications settings and change the Messaging Notification sound from 'Default' to something else, then that new tone I set supersedes all my custom contact tones.

So ANYONE that texts me at that point on I only hear the sound I set in Notifications and not the sound for the contact. this DEFINITELY did not work that way in 8.1.

Anyone else notice this or know how to fix it?

My setup is:
Lumia Icon
Upgraded from 8.1 to Latest build. Did NOT do a reset as I really haven't needed to. Working pretty well outside of the battery not lasting as long as it used to,

Thanks all.

jsl101669

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Custom text tones on contacts

Forgot to add that if I change the global notification tone back to 'Default' then my custom contact tones work...

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm having this issue right now.

I have a few people in my people hub that have custom notification sound for text tones, and it doesn't matter what they're set at. The default one plays.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Forgot to add that if I change the global notification tone back to 'Default' then my custom contact tones work...

I'm testing this method out now. Trouble is... I have a custom text tone I want to use for everyone, outside of a few contacts, who would also have a custom tone. Never had this issue before in 7, 8, 8.1, or even in 10 until the other day. Just all of the sudden... changed.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

This has been an issue for me on W10m as well, both on insider builds and on my 950. Haven't been able to get an answer about whether it is my issue or the way the os is currently working. I have done a hard reset as well.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

This has been an issue for me on W10m as well, both on insider builds and on my 950. Haven't been able to get an answer about whether it is my issue or the way the os is currently working. I have done a hard reset as well.

When I restored using a previous backup from my Lumia 1520 when I first set up the new Lumia 950, everything worked fine. All custom notifications were working in harmony as they did on my old phone.

Yesterday morning, I decided to do a clean install, bringing nothing over from the old Lumia 1520. Since then, I've had nothing but issues with the custom text tones. Custom ringtones work as they should, but the text tones are only good like so...

If the default text tone is selected, I can use custom text tones on a person by person basis; set up one for each person on my phone if I wanted to.

But... if I change the text tone to something else, it overrides all custom text tones on the individual. The individual person still shows that they have a custom text tone, but it is not triggered in that manner.

Hopefully, there is a fix soon. Because it's odd that it would work flawlessly for ringtones on a per person basis, but not for text tones.

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Doesn't work for me too. Custom ringtones works but custom tones for text no. I set some custom tones for som contacts and doesn't works. When I go to contact everything looks good
WM10 tapatalk

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, ringtones work. If the default text tone is changed, then custom text tones do not work.

Hopefully, this can be fixed soon.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine work. The 3rd build back wouldn't let you have custom tones. Then the build after that, all my customs tones appeared in my list. I assigned them and it works.

Last edited:

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks everyone for the feedback. At least I know it's not me!

Here's a lengthy workaround.

Leave the Message/text tone as the default. Change the text tone for EVERYONE in your people hub to the Text Tone(s) you want them to have.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

7876970c45c6a21379e0c79ac25a18c2.jpg

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

@xrs22... mine looks the same way. But once I changed the default, every text plays the what I have selected over the default, no matter what the individual is given.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Have you picked none for the messaging? Under notifications, try that since there's no default it should only play what's selected under you contact custom tone.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

That's the thing... if I select none, any person in the hub that doesn't have a "custom' text tone selected for them, the system will not generate a text tone when they send a text to me.

I have almost 80 contacts in my phone, and I would rather not set one for each person.

I'll leave it with the "custom" text tone I have selected, but those contacts who DID have a "custom" tone selected will just not have them for the time being. Hopefully, this gets fixed. I know it's not a major issue, just a small nagging one.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I see what you mean now. I was testing it out with my sons phone by texting and messing with options.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Three hard resets and the text notification issue persists. So frustrating.

I don't think hard resets will solve this. This is likely just something not working. Hopefully, MS can fix this. I've filled out a feedback request, I suggest everyone do the same about this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs