After 1 week with the 950 - Is Microsoft really comitted to a mobile OS?

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Where is the advertising push? Where are the updated Apps? Where is the hardware?

Advertising
The surface gets a ton of advertising, its a device worthy of advertising but the 950 isn't so I cant say I'm surprised we aren't seeing it anywhere.

Apps
The apps don't feel any better or worse than they did on Windows 8. They are the same, they were just ported to W10. How about having some new updated apps like Facebook ready for the release of your flagship device (950). The Facebook app is a sad comparison to the android and ios app, it always has been. If Facebook wont develop it in time for the release and multiple critic reviews of your flagship device then release it yourself and make it feel like it was developed by a professional instead of in a someone's garage. I had a peek at the new Facebook app and its very nice, I just don't understand how it cant be ready in time for a flagship release.

Hardware
Don't get me started here. The 950 does not look or feel like a high end flagship device. I went from a 920 to a 830 to a 950. I was certainly more pleased with my 920 at the time and I think I like my 830 better if it were just a bit faster, it certainly looked and felt like a higher end device with the metal trim. The camera on the 950 is better but the iPhone might have us beat. I'm disappointed with the action shots, I see a lot of blur. I'm disappointed with the video recording quality and noise. The screen quality is nice but side by side with my 830, its not a clear winner like the specs would suggest. Battery life is not impressive and the speaker quality is less than I would expect on a flagship not to mention its rear facing which I'm not a fan of. The back cover slides over the side but not completely, leaving the edge exposed which seems like a disaster the first time it gets dropped on its edge, 830 back cover has it beat. Nothing about the 950 stands out, not even the color.

I like the direction Microsoft is going with continuum and I like the idea of unifying my OS experience across multiple devices but as usual MS has a hard time delivering. Continuum is a slight disappointment. Windows 10 Mobile just feels like a more refined Windows 8. Once again I feel like we are stuck using a device and OS waiting for something better. I think I'm finished waiting.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
So your main gripe is how it looks and feels? You don't really provide any substantive data to show how iSight is better than Pure View optics, or how your 830 has a better screen. Ok. We get it. The screens not as bright as some of the new android or iPhones out there. But when does this really matter outside of direct sunlight? I get the app issues with w10, and I'm honestly missing 8.1 myself but really? Your main issue is how the phone look?

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
So your main gripe is how it looks and feels? You don't really provide any substantive data to show how iSight is better than Pure View optics, or how your 830 has a better screen. Ok. We get it. The screens not as bright as some of the new android or iPhones out there. But when does this really matter outside of direct sunlight? I get the app issues with w10, and I'm honestly missing 8.1 myself but really? Your main issue is how the phone look?

No, he clearly compares a few things with the 830, a device released a year ago and with lower price point. There he outlines aspects which are better on the 830, and the adantages of the L950 over L830 are on equal or less level compared to flagships of other companies. His resumee is that from a 830, which clearly is no flagship, an update to 950 doesn't give you flagship feeling.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I
No, he clearly compares a few things with the 830, a device released a year ago and with lower price point. There he outlines aspects which are better on the 830, and the adantages of the L950 over L830 are on equal or less level compared to flagships of other companies. His resumee is that from a 830, which clearly is no flagship, an update to 950 doesn't give you flagship feeling.

No, he clearly makes his opinions clear on his preferences but he acknowledges the 950 is faster, and that he "thinks" the screen is better on the 830. What he means is the screen is brighter, which matters little outside of readability in direct sunlight. The ppi and resolution is better. He says the way the phone looks and feels is less than his 830, which is irrelevant as well and also based not on fact but opinion.

Seriously, people should really try to make informed posts containing fact, data and substantive conclusions that tie those things together. Making an ad hoc post with mostly opinions is not a review.

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
So sorry you dont agree Nubwy. Forgive me for posting my thoughts about Windows 10 Mobile and it latest "flagship" device. Am I not allowed to gripe about the look and feel of a phone? I didnt know that was off limits.

The screen is not that great, older version of Samsung and iPhones are better. Did you read the part where I mention I had a 920 and 830 prior to the 950? Oh yeah, my wife has a 925. I took a picture with the 950 and then the 830, then I had a great idea to compare the 2 photos on my computer screen to see which one I liked better. I also thought it would be a good idea to compare both screens side by side to see which one looked better, the 950 wins but not by much like I said in my original post. Side buttons on the 920 and 830 felt better, and Im not a huge fan of the software buttons.

I like W10 OS but it doesnt impress me. I feel like Im invested into the Windows mobile OS and want it to succeed so I am a bit disappointed after waiting a very long time for another high end device, keep in mind I bought my 920 a little over 3 years ago, maybe more. I wanted to be wow-ed by the hardware and OS but Im not and Im not sure Microsoft is either. I can no longer recommend the Lumia devices over an iPhone or Galaxy, end of story.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
He says the way the phone looks and feels is less than his 830, which is irrelevant as well and also based not on fact but opinion.
This is a forum. If you want to see facts and not opinions, go see tech sites etc. and compare specs.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
And, don't forget to say, a MSFT-biased forum and criticism is not tolerated here. There are tony of threads here even with the bugs and flaws of the latest build. That is enough facts. Specs of hardware is nothing if the software is not up to take full advantage. Plus the delay over and over and how slow things progress with W10M. Who spent a lot of $$$ on a 950 or 950XL has enough reason and all the right to criticise ist.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Folks, the OP is entitled to his opinions and to share them with us. Far too many readers have accused this site of being "******-ish" and now a member shares less-than-flattering reviews about his experience with a new device and some of you can't handle it.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
So, I'm guessing none of you bothered to read my initial post, where I stated that there is more to this phone than the cover or how it physically feels? You're entitled to an opinion,mature. But nobody has to take you seriously - regardless of how many words you use to express the same misguided evaluations repeatedly.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Folks, the OP is entitled to his opinions and to share them with us. Far too many readers have accused this site of being "******-ish" and now a member shares less-than-flattering reviews about his experience with a new device and some of you can't handle it.

I encourage you to read my FIRST post in which I pointed to the lack of anything factual or empirical in his post. I can post all day about how X Phone does Y better than iPhone, but it should be expected, even in a opinion, to be supported by a reasonable amount of detail.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
How about the keyboard skips words on swipe way more than I've seen since it was put on Windows, the SD card cannot have apps installed on it without causing the phone to be stuck in a reboot loop, visual voicemail does not work for any of the unlocked variants, LTE does not work on a lot of the phones, the button layout makes no sense with the power button in the middle, battery life is weaker than my Lumia 640 with the same use, the plastic back does not fit snugly so it makes a click when you press the corner, there is no NFC payment system, if a new app comes out it will be years to make I to windows if ever, some of the windows 8 apps like npr one are no longer available, there is not a good panorama function, things that used to differentiate it like people hub are gone even if they've slowly killed it off. Anyone else have shortcomings with this phone. I will even toss out the app gap as a problem, and I is still not worth paying the entrance fee to be a beta tester.

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Its a good phone, its just not a great phone. Its a good OS, just not a great OS. And sadly its a very good camera, just not the best camera but maybe some updates will improve the camera and video. Windows needs to be doing things better not worse than its competitors.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I encourage you to read my FIRST post in which I pointed to the lack of anything factual or empirical in his post. I can post all day about how X Phone does Y better than iPhone, but it should be expected, even in a opinion, to be supported by a reasonable amount of detail.

There is no empirical data that can be attached to an opinion. This is what his experience felt like and there's no one to question that. I don't like hip-hop, don't ask me to quantify it.

It is my duty as a moderator to let everyone know that ALL opinions carry the same weight and no one is above anyone else. If you don't care for a member's opinion you are free to engage in dialogue. But challenging another member's opinions because they don't meet your expectations of what an opinion is comprised of, simply won't fly here.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Its a good phone, its just not a great phone. Its a good OS, just not a great OS. And sadly its a very good camera, just not the best camera but maybe some updates will improve the camera and video. Windows needs to be doing things better not worse than its competitors.

I really have to ask myself, if Apple released an iPhone with all of these issues the media and these forums would be all over them. Instead we tend to be too nice in our assessments. I like a lot of stuff, but I've been beta testing windows for 5 or so years now on phones, since an HTC Trophy. I like a lot of stuff about the 950 and 950xl, but I don't think either are worth the price tag in the hopes that they get an upgrade to fix the problems. I mean honestly fixing problems is not a guarantee, and I'm still waiting for some things to get tidied up in Windows Phone 8.1.

Anyone else remember these commercials?
https://youtu.be/_elqLDSt36k

Who is the real beta tester?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

So basically like any other day on here.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So sorry you dont agree Nubwy. Forgive me for posting my thoughts about Windows 10 Mobile and it latest "flagship" device. Am I not allowed to gripe about the look and feel of a phone? I didnt know that was off limits.

The screen is not that great, older version of Samsung and iPhones are better. Did you read the part where I mention I had a 920 and 830 prior to the 950? Oh yeah, my wife has a 925. I took a picture with the 950 and then the 830, then I had a great idea to compare the 2 photos on my computer screen to see which one I liked better. I also thought it would be a good idea to compare both screens side by side to see which one looked better, the 950 wins but not by much like I said in my original post. Side buttons on the 920 and 830 felt better, and Im not a huge fan of the software buttons.

I like W10 OS but it doesnt impress me. I feel like Im invested into the Windows mobile OS and want it to succeed so I am a bit disappointed after waiting a very long time for another high end device, keep in mind I bought my 920 a little over 3 years ago, maybe more. I wanted to be wow-ed by the hardware and OS but Im not and Im not sure Microsoft is either. I can no longer recommend the Lumia devices over an iPhone or Galaxy, end of story.

You know, this is a WP forum. To some fans, something or disagreeing anything about Windows phone is nothing other than death penalty. IMO, 950 is just like 1020 when 1020 was first announced and released 2 years back. Groundbreaking camera and that's all about it. Nothing else. With 950, Windows Phone brings Continuum along with an amazing camera, but do the masses care? How much they know about Windows phone today? I can say the knowledge they have is just as little as couple of years ago.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I really have to ask myself, if Apple released an iPhone with all of these issues the media and these forums would be all over them. Instead we tend to be too nice in our assessments. I like a lot of stuff, but I've been beta testing windows for 5 or so years now on phones, since an HTC Trophy. I like a lot of stuff about the 950 and 950xl, but I don't think either are worth the price tag in the hopes that they get an upgrade to fix the problems. I mean honestly fixing problems is not a guarantee, and I'm still waiting for some things to get tidied up in Windows Phone 8.1.

Anyone else remember these commercials?
https://youtu.be/_elqLDSt36k

Who is the real beta tester?

Remember it well. This was back when it seems there was an urgency to make this happen...but along came timing.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
You
There is no empirical data that can be attached to an opinion. This is what his experience felt like and there's no one to question that. I don't like hip-hop, don't ask me to quantify it.

It is my duty as a moderator to let everyone know that ALL opinions carry the same weight and no one is above anyone else. If you don't care for a member's opinion you are free to engage in dialogue. But challenging another member's opinions because they don't meet your expectations of what an opinion is comprised of, simply won't fly here.

Okay. Just so we are clear that you'll protect every two bit "review" opinion piece regardless of how silly it is, I guess I can deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3