Press Volume Up and Volume Down 3 times

anon(9538491)

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, I was unsure regarding where I should post this, currently I have a Lumia 630 with Windows 10 Mobile and I have noticed that when I press both Volume Up & Down 3 times the phone vibrates 3 times and the screen flickers, does anyone know what's this for?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's the tickle test, and your phone passed.

This happened in Windows Phone 8.1 as well, I think it's just a diagnostic hardware test.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the 'force close' shortcut for unresponsive apps

No, it's not. It doesn't close any apps. You're probably confusing this with the soft reset where you press and hold the volume down and power buttons to force a power cycle.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tests the button responses, the vibration module and the screen. There might well be other hardware tests happening for which the vibration/screen flash are the confirmation signal. For example, something being broken might result in a different number of vibrations/flashes. I've asked this before from contacts in Microsoft and never got an answer.

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
No, it's not. It doesn't close any apps. You're probably confusing this with the soft reset where you press and hold the volume down and power buttons to force a power cycle.

Probably not. But okay, my mental reddit cache led me wrong. I know it's been discussed in there.

anon(9538491)

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
oh ok, thank you for clarifying this :) been checking the buttons, was wondering if one of the combinations would trigger the take picture on the camera when all of the sudden that happened (3 vibes and screen flicker), wouldn't be a bad idea for phones without camera button lol.

thank you, once again.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it'll do anything you'll notice. Unless you keep hammering on the keys long enough to run the battery flat.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, I was unsure regarding where I should post this, currently I have a Lumia 630 with Windows 10 Mobile and I have noticed that when I press both Volume Up & Down 3 times the phone vibrates 3 times and the screen flickers, does anyone know what's this for?

I always wonder how people find out these things... I mean, why do you press these buttons, and then 3 times?.....

anon(9538491)

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I always wonder how people find out these things... I mean, why do you press these buttons, and then 3 times?.....

Volume Up + Power Button = Screenshot
Volume Down + Power Button = Screenshot to the Windows Feedback app

If these exist, other possible combinations might exist as well, it's just a matter of testing. I left the explanation to how and why I got to that combination @ #9

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
does it only work for some models? I do the same thing on my 950xl but nothing happen.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
It works on my Moly X1...BTW, it is pressing both the volume up and down buttons at the same time, do it 3 times in a row and phone vibrates 3 times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb