W10 on L640

Kartik 10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I own a Lumia 640 and would want to upgrade to W10. I've heard positive reviews about L640 running W10. So should I upgrade through IP or wait for official update? Also will my apps data get lost during the upgrade and is there a need for a hard reset?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If you like, and need for things to always work, I wouldn't recommend it. If you don't mind dealing with little "quirks", you can go for the preview. Make sure that you download Windows Device Recovery Tool, just in case though.

As long as you back up data in apps that allow for backups, you should be fine with the upgrade/update.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I just bought my new 640 yesterday. Ended up upgrading right away to W10 because of the new outlook mail which allows us to attach files while composing am email. So far its working fine

Battery didn't last whole day. - that could be because ice been using it heavily being the first day. Hopefully it gets butter - It used to last whole day on 950 (which I'm going to return if this works for me)

Sent from mTalk

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm using W10M on my L640 DS for a long time now and I would never go back to 8.1.

Just be sure to hard reset after the upgrade as it will solve many potential problems.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't rush to wp10. As it currently runs, html email doesn't work. For a communication device, this is junk. I can accept that some of the toys don't work, like Cortana not being able to play music, but the basics are what I need. I am ordering a cheap Android phone so that I can continue to work until WP10 is fixed.

RobsBrutal1

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't rush to wp10. As it currently runs, html email doesn't work. For a communication device, this is junk. I can accept that some of the toys don't work, like Cortana not being able to play music, but the basics are what I need. I am ordering a cheap Android phone so that I can continue to work until WP10 is fixed.

You can't play music? What problems are you having because this sounds the complete opposite of mind.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
run pretty good on my 640 only problems I'm really having is the battery life is only giving me roughly 7 or so hours and the wordflow keyboard is broken sometimes when your swiping it miisses words or completely spells the wrong words....other than that everything else pretty much works good id recommend it

some people get all day battery life but in my usage with medium/heavy usage I'm only averaging about 7 hours or less

Sent from mTalk

RobsBrutal1

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I own a Lumia 640 and would want to upgrade to W10. I've heard positive reviews about L640 running W10. So should I upgrade through IP or wait for official update? Also will my apps data get lost during the upgrade and is there a need for a hard reset?
in my opinion its worth it to upgrade to the insiders builds of 10. I've been so impressed with it that I have put my iPhone 6 on the shelf and are rocking my Lumia 640.

RobsBrutal1

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
run pretty good on my 640 only problems I'm really having is the battery life is only giving me roughly 7 or so hours and the wordflow keyboard is broken sometimes when your swiping it miisses words or completely spells the wrong words....other than that everything else pretty much works good id recommend it

some people get all day battery life but in my usage with medium/heavy usage I'm only averaging about 7 hours or less

Sent from mTalk
do you tweak settings at all to help with battery? Changing background apps...turning off wifi NFC and locations when not in use? Brightness? I'm a heavy user and am making it through a full day. Let me know if I can help

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

The latest update for outlook mail app fixes the html issue. I see the html emails properly now on my 640

Sent from mTalk

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
do you tweak settings at all to help with battery? Changing background apps...turning off wifi NFC and locations when not in use? Brightness? I'm a heavy user and am making it through a full day. Let me know if I can help

Wifi, NFC, location, FaceBook - I have them all allowed to run at background. Light usage, charged every 3rd night. So they are not that big issue in WP8.1 ;)

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

This is a good time to test W10M. If you don't like it, there is still a way back to 8.1 (automatic update checks can be disabled after that). Upgrade should not kill any data, Health has changed to something else so not sure about steps etc.

Hard reset ("Have you tried turning it off and on again" or "reinstall W95 - again" revisited :D ) and revert to 8.1 will wipe all data not stored to cloud. E.g. Sports Tracker and Geocaching Live have their own servers. Some games save to One Drive or FB (?). Some data will be lost for good. It's the same with Android.

It's really a matter of having nothing better to do and possibility of losing game stats or WhatsApp conversations (it has to be backed up to SD - guess did I know that on first time) in hard reset, if/when upgrade process does not get app and setting migrations done the way it should in final, official, update.

There is no guarantee that the official upgrade will be any better. I hope it will be, with firmware and stuff, but I'm not a lottery winner type so -- ;)

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You can't play music? What problems are you having because this sounds the complete opposite of mind.

When you ask Cortana to "play (artist name)", all I get is an internet search. I can say "play music" and it suffles everyting on my phone. I have seen a lot of posts talking about this issue, and not everyone has the problem. I suspect it has to do with my music being on the SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism