Critical phone experience breaking battery level bug on builds of 10586

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I have been reflecting this problem to microsoft for quite a long period of time that, the battery level of my 1520 will drop suddenly from a high level, say 90%, to a critical level that the phone shuts itself down when I was doing some light work on the phone like typing documents or browsing on wifi.
The problem has been strange because if I charge the battery immediately after it shuts itself down, it can charge up to a point that it will become fully charged suddenly. However, if I leave it for roughly an hour or so, its battery capacity returned to 80-90% without charging. Therefore, I think it is less likely to be a hardware problem but rather a software one.
I have been reporting this to them when I get I new cumulative update for 10586 and it seems that the problem is still not fixed with the latest 10586.107.
I would like to ask if anyone had experienced similar situation? I can hardly use the phone on a day to day basis without a power bank.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
It can be your battery you know, they don't have unlimited lifetime!
A Lithium battery, will become bad after 1000 or so charges.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
It can be your battery you know, they don't have unlimited lifetime!
A Lithium battery, will become bad after 1000 or so charges.

Yes, I know there is a recharge cycle for li-ion batteries. However, I have an app counting the charger cycle and it is only 200+ cycles.
The problem is its inconsistences. It sometimes drop normally to roughly 60% then shut down. It sometimes shut down from 90% even with similar workload.

aelking

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Does it shutdown or hard off?

And I would suggest it is a faulty battery, the battery reports it's status to the os, and if it's reporting the wrong thing then the os will try to mitigate.

There are quite slot of things that could break a battery, such as sudden temperature changes, shorts, chemical imbalance etc.

And there are quite a few reasons mitigation could be taken, such as trying to stop thermal overrun.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

And I would suggest it is a faulty battery, the battery reports it's status to the os, and if it's reporting the wrong thing then the os will try to mitigate.

There are quite slot of things that could break a battery, such as sudden temperature changes, shorts, chemical imbalance etc.

And there are quite a few reasons mitigation could be taken, such as trying to stop thermal overrun.

It is a hard off. Just pop suddenly. But it only happened when I am on 10586. No problem regarding batteries before except apps hanging in previous builds...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I've a 1520 and never had that issue on any OS version. It could be that the previous firmware install might have issues that's causing this to happen? You could try restoring back to 8.1 stock using WDRT and then perform a clean install to WM10 followed by another hard reset. Do not restore your backup and setup for device. Hopefully it would solve your issue. The important notes here are:

1) clean install
2) firmware flash
3) no restore from backup

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to pop in and say it isn't software, you might also want to try and put your phone into a plastic bag the next time it shuts itself off and toss it into a freezer for an hour or two, but either way, it screams a battery issue, especially since I haven't heard of anyone else having the same issue as you on these forums (and I stalk these forums a lot...).

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Definitely sounds battery related. Li-ion batteries, when tired, can have a severely depleted chemical reaction resulting in less Mah. This can cause issues of 'rapid discharge' and 'rapid charge'. The thought's of Zulfigar and the freezer, is quite an old trick, but in the past it has worked for me. I never let my battery get critically low as this can also damage the battery. Also, how the battery was conditioned, when new, also has an effect with regards to lifespan. They have a finite lifespan. In my e-cig I can kill a battery in no time if it isn't conditioned correctly when new, or if I keep running it critically low. Go for a new batt if possible.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have been reflecting this problem to microsoft for quite a long period of time that, the battery level of my 1520 will drop suddenly from a high level, say 90%, to a critical level that the phone shuts itself down when I was doing some light work on the phone like typing documents or browsing on wifi.
The problem has been strange because if I charge the battery immediately after it shuts itself down, it can charge up to a point that it will become fully charged suddenly. However, if I leave it for roughly an hour or so, its battery capacity returned to 80-90% without charging. Therefore, I think it is less likely to be a hardware problem but rather a software one.
I have been reporting this to them when I get I new cumulative update for 10586 and it seems that the problem is still not fixed with the latest 10586.107.
I would like to ask if anyone had experienced similar situation? I can hardly use the phone on a day to day basis without a power bank.

I have the same issue with my 1320. But it happened to me even without downloading and installing the build .29. I just enrolled and the phone restarted in win 8.1 and i started to face this issue. Been living with this for two months

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Good call! As mentioned in my post, charging, conditioning etc AND temp all have influences on battery life. My wife always run her 640 critically low, and battery didn't last long! They need charge in them to keep the chemical reactions viable and as you say, balanced

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey but is it possible the software ruined the battery? Coz before my phone restarted for the build .29 update i used to get 30hours on my 1320.

Who said software ruined your battery? It's most likely that the battery just happen to hit the fan when you installed .29 on your phone, not because you had .29 on your phone.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Who said software ruined your battery? It's most likely that the battery just happen to hit the fan when you installed .29 on your phone, not because you had .29 on your phone.

I dint say software ruined. I asked of it cud. But i dint download or install . 29 after I enrolled , my phone restarted and there was the .29 update. But i dint download or install it back then. But battery probs started from then

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I dint say software ruined. I asked of it cud. But i dint download or install . 29 after I enrolled , my phone restarted and there was the .29 update. But i dint download or install it back then. But battery probs started from then

Sorry, I misread your question...sure, it's possible. But, like the others have said, batteries don't last forever and it's most likely it has become faulty.

Now, the whole "I didn't download and install but restarted my phone and appears .29 update with battery problems starting 'back then' "...
Are saying that you encountered battery problems when you received a notification to install .29?

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
A little update to the situation.
I just encountered a force shut down when reading some pdf documents. I then plug in the charger and the phone starts. The battery % was roughly 50% when the phone shuts itself down and it was 2% when it restart with the charger plugged in.
I then remove the charger once the phone is unlocked (phone wont even start without a power source) and I have been using it at 2% for 2 hours with web browsing and some light gaming.
Seems weird and definitely not related to old battery in my opinion but I still appreciate all your inputs and opinions.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I misread your question...sure, it's possible. But, like the others have said, batteries don't last forever and it's most likely it has become faulty.

Now, the whole "I didn't download and install but restarted my phone and appears .29 update with battery problems starting 'back then' "...
Are saying that you encountered battery problems when you received a notification to install .29?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

1.battery was tip top condition
2.enrolled for insiders...
3.phone restarted
4.notification to download build .29
... Battery problems ever since.. I hard reset and stuck with 8.1.. For two months. But past three weeks im on build . 29

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3