BlackBerry user looking forward to Windows 10 Mobile. Need Guidance

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys! I'm seriously considering Windows 10 mobile. I came across this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNgfEVk8oo And the guy is convincing me not to get one.
The Lumia 950XL looks sweet though. I wanted to seek some guidance from you fine folks here at the Windows Central. The problems Michael Fisher is referring to, are they still there? Have you faced any of them? And is he right about the fact that Lumia 950 XL has a beta version of Windows 10 Mobile?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I basically agree with Michael Fisher in his two-part review (and most of his reviews for that matter), and with the Lumia 950XL, I still agree with him.

I have a Lumia 1020 which, at the time I bought it, was running Windows Phone 8. In comparison to Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Phone 8 (and Windows Phone 8.1) were complete and finished Operating Systems, while W10M is still under continuous development (started from a really incomplete OS which has been built on update after update in the Insider program). Now, W10M is technically no longer in BETA*. But when I held the Lumia 950XL, it just didn't have that "wow factor" for me to really want it. My L1020 looks and feels like a professional gadget; the L950XL didn't.

So to answer your questions:
- Yes, some of those bugs are still there. The reboots are less frequent now though based on user reports.
- Yes, I've experienced some (if not all) of them.
- Yes, he is right about that. There is the "Windows Insider" track where you can receive updates more frequently than the "average consumer" and so far the latest updates have made W10M more reliable and more stable.

*W10M used to be in BETA (shortly before he made that video), but now it is technically no longer "BETA" since it is already available to consumers through consumer products (i.e. L950, L950XL, L550). The OS version in these devices are not as updated as those available in the Insider tracks. However, we're expecting that the consumer versions will soon be matched up with the Insider versions once most (if not all) bugs have been addressed from Insider versions.

I'm still not getting a Lumia 950 XL even if W10M matures completely - but that's my personal preference and bias against the overall physical appeal of the device, and because I'm still looking (and hoping) for a worthy L1020 successor.

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I basically agree with Michael Fisher in his two-part review (and most of his reviews for that matter), and with the Lumia 950XL, I still agree with him.

I have a Lumia 1020 which, at the time I bought it, was running Windows Phone 8. In comparison to Windows 10 Mobile, Windows Phone 8 (and Windows Phone 8.1) were complete and finished Operating Systems, while W10M is still under continuous development (started from a really incomplete OS which has been built on update after update in the Insider program). Now, W10M is technically no longer in BETA*. But when I held the Lumia 950XL, it just didn't have that "wow factor" for me to really want it. My L1020 looks and feels like a professional gadget; the L950XL didn't.

So to answer your questions:
- Yes, some of those bugs are still there. The reboots are less frequent now though based on user reports.
- Yes, I've experienced some (if not all) of them.
- Yes, he is right about that. There is the "Windows Insider" track where you can receive updates more frequently than the "average consumer" and so far the latest updates have made W10M more reliable and more stable.

*W10M used to be in BETA (shortly before he made that video), but now it is technically no longer "BETA" since it is already available to consumers through consumer products (i.e. L950, L950XL, L550). The OS version in these devices are not as updated as those available in the Insider tracks. However, we're expecting that the consumer versions will soon be matched up with the Insider versions once most (if not all) bugs have been addressed from Insider versions.

I'm still not getting a Lumia 950 XL even if W10M matures completely - but that's my personal preference and bias against the overall physical appeal of the device, and because I'm still looking (and hoping) for a worthy L1020 successor.

I think the Lumia 950 should've had Win8.1 preloaded in it. Microsoft shouldve rolled out the update after WM10 completely matured.

In that case, what do you think? Buying the Lumia 950XL. Is it worth it? Should I buy it and stay patient for a while and wait for it to become a stable OS?

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I like my 950xl. No problems here, but if you get stuff from Insider, you should expect problems. That is the nature of a pre-release product.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I look up to Mr. Fisher and agree with him on all counts.

10 Mobile does work for some people, but its inconsistency across devices makes me suspect there's some serious problems masked under-the-hood.

Windows 10 Mobile is beta quality regardless of Insider status as of now. I've used better quality things that were "Beta."

I would proceed with caution at the most, or just get another device, options being:

1. Something cheap enough to wait for 10 to improve. Eventually.
2. Something higher value that will hold its value so you can swap it out for a 950 XL or whatever model in the future. (like an iPhone)

EDIT: (it can feel like webOS at its worst, for those who know.)

Last edited:

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Current Windows 10 Mobile build is far away from beta.
It works perfect on my L640, and it's much better in every aspect from Windows Phone 8.1 IMO.

Good luck whatever you choose.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think the Lumia 950 should've had Win8.1 preloaded in it. Microsoft shouldve rolled out the update after WM10 completely matured.

In that case, what do you think? Buying the Lumia 950XL. Is it worth it? Should I buy it and stay patient for a while and wait for it to become a stable OS?

Right now, the L950XL is the most future-proof Windows Phone in the market. Buying it right now would be obviously because of the hardware in it, which is a good thing. The OS is pretty stable now (latest build, 10586.107). We're all expecting it to be more stable in the future versions anyway. It'll be a good decision to buy it considering that it should survive the fast-paced advances in technology for the next few years.

ethereal42

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I was a BB user just until recently, using the Z30, Passport and BB9900. The Priv did not suit me since I could buy lots of cheaper Androids if I wanted. So after I read about continuum, I got myself a 950XL running Windows 10 mobile. This phone is real hard to buy in Asia but I managed to find it in HK sim lock free. After using it for about 3 weeks, I am quite happy with it. It is as good as the Passport, fast responsive smooth and battery life too. But not so squarish so easier to hold. The outlook app for email is not as useful as BB. But the other apps work better since they were native and not Android on snap on Passport. I was afraid of lack of apps but I managed to find everyone I used on the Passport on Windows store excepting for Nogago (hiking app) and TWS (interactive brokers) both of which are Android. I managed to find alternatives for Nogago and other email apps to make up for outlook.

I would not say 950xl is better than the passport, some aspects are better - like reading news, chatting via messenger (which does not have phone capability amazingly), LINE, Kakaotalk, Whatsapp. Some aspects are not so good like email experience, contacts integration, sound volume low compared to BB, sound quality worse than BB. Camera is probably better than the iPhone 6S.

If I did not think BB will ditch BB10, perhaps I would have stuck out with BB but I must say windows 10 mobile is a great alternative. I forgot to say, the continuum is one hell of a great feature because I can now sometimes not need to carry my laptop.

n-w

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I got a Lumia 550 the baby of the new Win 10 phones. I got it as a second phone to the BB Passport, especially as it had a nano sim so it made phone card swapping a breeze. Now it is my primary phone and BB is my secondary phone. Continuum is a great feature and the screen cast with the Microsoft optional adapter is a neat feature that lets you use the office apps if you pair the device with a Bluetooth keyboard.
I haven't got the expensive 950 or 950XL as I wanted to try a cheaper version of Win 10 mobile; the Lumia 550 fitted the bill but is performing better than my expectations.
BUT I still cant fully leave BB, even though Win 10 mobile is doing an okay job, which should get better with each new update.

chalx

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
In my case, I have two problem groups regarding windows 10. First, is matter of taste and second is a matter of functionality. Regarding UI and UIX and prefer BB10 far more than any other mobile OS and I will not go in this direction because its completely subjective. Regarding functionality, windows10 is progressing but still looks underdeveloped, and it looks underdeveloped because its limited by UI and general design language of windows 10 ( and windows 8.1) which bring us to a UI problem which is a matter of taste, which is subjective....

TechADD

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a Z30 and a 950, BB 10 os is more stable and responsive. I picked up a 950 because it was the closest os to BB10. The bugs in windows 10 are disappointing but hopefully they will be taken care of.

jgch

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm keeping my Lumia 930 until I can renew my contract.
Windows Mobile (8 and 10) feels like Android 5 yrs ago. So, if you don't want to end up BB like dead end, buy a nexus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism