Windows 10 Mobile or Roll Back to 8.1?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I just read a text on Thurrott. I've had Windows 10 Mobile (both stable and insider build) for 2 days and I have to admit that I kind of agree with his third paragraph:

But here?s the thing. When Microsoft did announce this upgrade, I started resetting my own Windows phone handsets back to their original Windows Phone 8.1.x images so that I could test what the real-world upgrade experience was like. And in doing so, I was reminded of something that I suspect will belatedly occur to many other Windows phone fans: Windows 10 Mobile is in fact, far less elegant, full-featured, and reliable than Windows Phone 8.1. And while the allure of the new is strong, the older OS is in fact a better fit on many of these devices.

I'm sure it will get better and the look is by far superior to WP8.1. But overall experience is somewhat unpolished compared to the 8.1 release.

What do you guys think? Are you more "I MUST HAVE NEW!!", does Windows 10 Mobile work well for you or did you stick with/roll back to 8.1 until WM10 becomes better?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
That remember me the last Resistance of Win Seven desktop users...... So sad

mmm it's not quite the same thing. People didn't want to switch to Windows 8 because it was different, not because it wasn't polished. Personally, I prefer Windows 10 both on desktop and phone. But on phone, it's not as fluid as Windows Phone 8.1 was. So rolling back should be, IMO, a temporary solution.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
mmm it's not quite the same thing. People didn't want to switch to Windows 8 because it was different, not because it wasn't polished. Personally, I prefer Windows 10 both on desktop and phone. But on phone, it's not as fluid as Windows Phone 8.1 was. So rolling back should be, IMO, a temporary solution.

I agree you, but even on my 10 years toshiba core duo notebook new features make the difference.
I got one only important change: 4 GB ram instead of original 1.
My little (now for backup) 520 I know suffered extra load due to new Aero graphics (I left feedback for a Graphic toggle on/off),
My new 650 is a different world.
Elegance is subjective. I feel the Cortana style circle opening in a line, then transforming in every icons simply great

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I just read a text on Thurrott. I've had Windows 10 Mobile (both stable and insider build) for 2 days and I have to admit that I kind of agree with his third paragraph:

I'm sure it will get better and the look is by far superior to WP8.1. But overall experience is somewhat unpolished compared to the 8.1 release.

What do you guys think? Are you more "I MUST HAVE NEW!!", does Windows 10 Mobile work well for you or did you stick with/roll back to 8.1 until WM10 becomes better?

I would love to test 8.1 on a 950!! W10m doesn't seem to utilize the 950/xl to the full potential

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I would love to test 8.1 on a 950!! W10m doesn't seem to utilize the 950/xl to the full potential
lol and you think 8.1 would?

I'm exactly the "I MUST HAVE NEW!" guy, and to be honest, Windows 10 Mobile is working quite great for me. While I do have some problems which you just can't ignore (like the battery life being quite bad, like half of 8.1 battery life; camera being just sad; edge being pretty weird sometimes; and a few other problems) I know that EVEN WITH THOSE PROBLEMS W10M is still better than 8.1. Remember that 8.1 has EVEN LESS apps, and they suck EVEN MORE. And it's so outdated and unsupported that there's just no way for me to use it. Not in 2016.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't enjoy being a tester, because I prefer for things to work the way they should, so I'm going to stick with 8.1 on my 640 until it is officially rolled out. The same applies if I was to ever get a Windows 10 mobile (which by the way, none of them interest me). I tried the 550 because that was the only one that did. Note the past tense.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
lol and you think 8.1 would?.

at the very least it would not waste the unused resources killing your battery

as said, OP, if you go back, well... you ever had a Symbian? your device will become a dumbphone somehow, one with a music player and camera and a pretty useless browser like a psp or something, but if for some miracle everything you need is still covered by 8.1 long term and you just don't miss any useful feature from w10m then by all means just roll back, your life will be more pleasant

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Definitely stick with Windows 10, however I would not use Fast or Slow insider builds except on test phones. Use Production on a daily use phone.

The benefits of Edge rendering and all the new apps outweigh the issues that still exist for the most part.

If you're on a older dual core processor, like a 920 or 1020 then I would stay on 8.1 though. Likewise with a 512MB phone.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it will get better and the look is by far superior to WP8.1.

What looks better than 8.1? Do you mean the start screen that now looks like a bad WP-style launcher from the Play Store? The design language that look like Android from 2011? The cropped circle profile pictures? The wannabe iOS toggles? The settings menu that looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes? The lack of stylish animations?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
What looks better than 8.1? Do you mean the start screen that now looks like a bad WP-style launcher from the Play Store? The design language that look like Android from 2011? The cropped circle profile pictures? The wannabe iOS toggles? The settings menu that looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes? The lack of stylish animations?

Well I guess it's all subjective ;)

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't enjoy being a tester, because I prefer for things to work the way they should, so I'm going to stick with 8.1 on my 640 until it is officially rolled out. The same applies if I was to ever get a Windows 10 mobile (which by the way, none of them interest me). I tried the 550 because that was the only one that did. Note the past tense.

Don't mind being a tester to a degree but after a while when the outcomes are continually poor (in my case) it becomes tiresome, so we've refrained quite some time ago from the beta testing. Already noticing signs that W8.1M has run its course and that's on my L830, slowly getting stuck between a rock and a hard place as it stands now w/WM... Have a newer Android phone already so in that respect we are fine. MSs "new" offerings do nothing for me either, period, and 2017 is way too long of a wait in hopes they'll come out with a reasonable handset that doesn't fall short in one form or another.

I'm already on the hunt for a secondary phone and it is highly unlikely it'll be anything WM, nor am I anticipating seeing the W10M upgrade on my 830 anytime soon if at all, and if it does, very pessimistic that it will be a favorable experience even now.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean the start screen that now looks like a bad WP-style launcher from the Play Store?
Ummm...I don't quite understand? Does the Play Store really have something this original looking? WM10 start screen experience is same as 8.1 (or can be made)
The design language that look like Android from 2011?
You do realize every design element is a subset of each other...the only thing that is truly borrowed from Android is the notification center. Everything else can be traced back to WM5.0 or even prior to that.
The cropped circle profile pictures?
This again...?
The wannabe iOS toggles?
The toggles are similar to WP8.x. The only difference is 8.x = sharp corners, 10 = rounded corners. Does that mean MS copied iOS?
The settings menu that looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes?
This is subjective..IMO its way better than 8.1, better customization (102 color combinations) than Android Marshmallow (B/W) and a ton better than the cartoony looking from iOS
The lack of stylish animations?
I find them better than 8.0.8.1 because they are faster..

What looks better than 8.1?
So to summarize...I find WM10 way better looking than WP8.X. Now if you bring the whole (original) Metro UI feel being lost due to the hamburger implementation then I agree...on everything else...WM10 is more or less...better.

Are you more "I MUST HAVE NEW!!", does Windows 10 Mobile work well for you or did you stick with/roll back to 8.1 until WM10 becomes better?
I am more on the "I CAN'T GO BACK TO WP8.X" track. It's because of quite a few reasons, the major one being..app support. Second reason...looks like the 1520 (my daily driver) was always meant to be on WM10, it feels so much complete now.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Definitely happier with Win10 as it has extra icons for the Action center(including flashlight something that's from Android(ios copied later on)), some nice animations on opening apps :), the much appreciated search function in both the app list and Settings list -- id just type couple of letters and tap on the thing I want!, extra colours, some decent privacy(turn off specific permissions for apps that dont need them actually) settings, apps with background agent finally have its own page(instead of all its logged in Battery saver app on W8.1), Call log has speed search(including name search by typing the appropriate number :d ) and call duration is logged in call history.
It's a definite improvement over win8.1 and I think its a mix/mash of ios/Android but who cares.

However it's slower on my L730 , even loading an app like Windows Central(older version) takes time to fully load. If you are truly worried about speed, i think you should and will do fine with Windows 8.1 :)

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Isn't the upgrade already officially available for the 640?

I am more on the "I CAN'T GO BACK TO WP8.X" track. It's because of quite a few reasons, the major one being..app support. Second reason...looks like the 1520 (my daily driver) was always meant to be on WM10, it feels so much complete now.

Yeah I have a hard time going back too. I'm trying it out since I got my 640 (Thursday) and when I roll back (because I tried a build for example) I find myself liking the stability of 8.1 VS WM10 but missing the new design language, animations and, as you said, the apps.

Definitely happier with Win10 as it has extra icons for the Action center(including flashlight something that's from Android(ios copied later on)), some nice animations on opening apps :), the much appreciated search function in both the app list and Settings list -- id just type couple of letters and tap on the thing I want!, extra colours, some decent privacy(turn off specific permissions for apps that dont need them actually) settings, apps with background agent finally have its own page(instead of all its logged in Battery saver app on W8.1), Call log has speed search(including name search by typing the appropriate number :d ) and call duration is logged in call history.
It's a definite improvement over win8.1 and I think its a mix/mash of ios/Android but who cares.

However it's slower on my L730 , even loading an app like Windows Central(older version) takes time to fully load. If you are truly worried about speed, i think you should and will do fine with Windows 8.1 :)

Well the speed is overall OK. Somethings take more time to load than they should but overall I think it's OK. But there's just something about 8.1 that feels more completed. I can't quite explain it.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

Iam having the lumia 920 was using the developer previews as they came rolled back to wp8.1 and then it hit me what all i missed. The fluidity of the OS, the camera app (Its far faaaaaar better) , the music player. Everything was elegant. Iam curious too . Especially to know how the camera app performs it might do miracles in the 950 . May be the new camera app is a let down in the old devices im not sure though.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have a hard time going back too. I'm trying it out since I got my 640 (Thursday) and when I roll back (because I tried a build for example) I find myself liking the stability of 8.1 VS WM10 but missing the new design language, animations and, as you said, the apps.
I've been trying out the Redstone builds on my daily driver 1520 and the official (non-native ROM) WM10 build on my AT&T Lumia 640. The only unstable experience has been Microsoft Edge, it seriously sucks in it's current state. Everything else has been very very stable (my 1520 has minor UI glitches but it's fast).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)