What if there was an Insider program for hardware?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
A lot of people are on the windows insider program and it's been an exciting journey so far and continues to be so. I got to thinking, what if we could also give feedback on hardware as well as software?

Think about it, aren't some of our main gripes about the hardware? The 950 doesn't have a premium feel, the 650 has a small battery, the rounded corners aren't nice etc - those are common complaints we have seen.

If there was to be an insider program for hardware feedback, how would it be? How would you make suggestions or report issues?
What would you like to see in future devices? Any old designs that you would like to see again like unibody cases? Or coloured shells? Maybe accessories?
Or what about the screen technology? RAM, body finish, internals, sd support etc

Share your thoughts below

This is my fifth post on what if series. You can access the other four here:

Thank you

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. Chintnl is referring to some kind of feedback avenue for Microsoft hardware, I don't think he's referring to getting freebies.

I could be wrong, I frequently am.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
No. Chintnl is referring to some kind of feedback avenue for Microsoft hardware, I don't think he's referring to getting freebies.

Ah, i see. He's just talking about a formalized way for providing feedback on current hardware.

Also - to be clear - the insiders that were apart of the continuum feedback program, the ones who received the Lumia 950 and dock, did not get to keep the hardware. It needed to be sent back after the testing period. There's no such thing as a free lunch :amaze:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

You're right, I meant feedback and suggestion about future hardware. If we can decide to some extent on what software features should be included in the next builds, why not also suggest features that should be found in the next Microsoft mobile device?

USB OTG has been a feature much requested, right? And now it's available on the new devices. So I wish we could give further and more varied feedback on hardware options

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion hardware design may be best left to the engineering experts ignoring consumer input.

I know many feel that on die changes may be easy for manufacturers.
Changing things comes at expense and delay due to the sheer number output of mobile devices.

Device makers know that what they build will suffer a short lifespan in relative time for consumption.
I really don't think demands can be placed on device manufacturers for specific wants.

Mobile devices are currently a matter of give and take.
Some stand out and most fail.
Not an easy road for the mobile manufacturing business.
That's how I see hardware development road mapping in these modern times.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion hardware design may be best left to the engineering experts ignoring consumer input.

I know many feel that on die changes may be easy for manufacturers.
Changing things comes at expense and delay due to the sheer number output of mobile devices.

Device makers know that what they build will suffer a short lifespan in relative time for consumption.
I really don't think demands can be placed on device manufacturers for specific wants.

Mobile devices are currently a matter of give and take.
Some stand out and most fail.
Not an easy road for the mobile manufacturing business.
That's how I see hardware development road mapping in these modern times.

you're right in what you've said and I agree with you.

However there are some hardware choices/decisions that get made and you wonder what was going on. Take for example the 730 and 830 lumias. The former has a 5MP front camera while the 830 has a 1.3MP front camera. The 830 is supposed to be better than the 730 but in some respects it went backwards.

Now looking at the 950, those are excellent devices with the main complain being design. We got almost all the hardware specs we wanted but the design let some people down.

If we could have a voting system where we can say from a list of options which aspects to keep and which to chuck, I think we would have a device partly designed by users and not just what MS thinks we would need.

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you Chintan. As an example, I like big screens 5.5 - 6 but sometimes I come across a phone that satisfies me in all the departments except the screen is smaller. Or take the 640XL; for an average and poor user such as myself, it's great but I worry about its internal memory (8GB) and non forward - looking RAM of a mere 1GB. The new standard should be at least 16 GB internal memory and 2GB for a mid - range phone.Then again I don't know what the engineers were considering in coming up with those design specs.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you Chintan. As an example, I like big screens 5.5 - 6 but sometimes I come across a phone that satisfies me in all the departments except the screen is smaller. Or take the 640XL; for an average and poor user such as myself, it's great but I worry about its internal memory (8GB) and non forward - looking RAM of a mere 1GB. The new standard should be at least 16 GB internal memory and 2GB for a mid - range phone.Then again I don't know what the engineers were considering in coming up with those design specs.

for windows phone 8.1, 1GB was more than adequate. But for W10M, 1GB is enough but with little room left

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo