8" W10M tablet

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of any W10M tablet since the flood of 8" Windows tablets the past couple years all ran full Windows 8.1/10.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
they are all atom tablets, i bought one for 40$ and it blown me away with how good it is, even for something like 200$ it would be ok as a decent tablet, they run w10 just fine, and to see what android tabs people buy for those low end prices compared to this is insane, if only microsoft marketed those tablets more, they can even serve as laptops

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hp envy note 8.

-Atom x5-Z8300

OP wants an ARM tablet running w10m, to my knowledge, such a thing does not exist

but, i think i may have seen some news about 10" windows "phones"(yes before w10m) so.. go look into that, probably can get w10m onto it

ourmanontheM62

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't have to be ARM based but I am after one running W10M - I assume there's no reason why W10M wouldn't run on top of the x86/x64 kernel.

If there's nothing available, is there a way of re-flashing an Android or full Windows tablet, or would that require manufacturer support?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't have to be ARM based but I am after one running W10M - I assume there's no reason why W10M wouldn't run on top of the x86/x64 kernel.

If there's nothing available, is there a way of re-flashing an Android or full Windows tablet, or would that require manufacturer support?

as i said i think i've seen ridiculously big windows "phones" made by random chinese OEMs like this The Ramos Q7 is a 7-inch Windows Phone made for the Chinese market | Windows Central and with such specs it should get w10m just fine

other than that your best bet is some atom windows tablet that you could flash with w10m, which sounds 99% impossible today

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Earlier this year, Microsoft did announce that W10M will run on x86: Windows 10 Mobile Now Supports Smartphones With Intel x86 Chips : TECH : Tech Times

Actual OEM devices are not really flooding the market though.

Best bet, comb Amazon and check some of the Chinese makers.

The issue is the OEM implementation isn't easy to pass, in terms of what must be "functional" for the Mobile platform.
Section 2 of this document describes what must be met, and tested, to pass.
In particular, some of the radio requirements have to pass other "separate" hurdles, such as FCC reqs. in the US anyway.
It is "optional" for a "non-phone" mobile device though, the LTE/GSM/CDMA/Whatever requirement, so in theory you could build an in-between type of device and run W10m on it.
It's a bit of a tough-sell though, why buy it, instead of a minimal desktop tablet implementation, since mostly you'd just be getting a phone without the ability to call, and less apps? Maybe more battery life, depending.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
But if you click through to the Microsoft link in that Tech Times article (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn915086(v=vs.85).aspx), it seems to indicate that only ARM processors are supported for W10M. Am I reading it wrong?

Anything from that SoC section is valid. I'm sure there would be flexibility, if someone wanted to expand this, as long as they meet the "experience requirements" as laid out. The real question is more of a "why" though.
If W10m were taking off like crazy, I'm sure someone would be experimenting here, with different form-factors...

ourmanontheM62

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
If W10m were taking off like crazy, I'm sure someone would be experimenting here, with different form-factors...

That's true, but I am surprised that no-one seems to be doing one. I'm currently running W10 on a 7" tablet which just seems a but silly, especially as pretty much everything I'm running is a Store app...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That's true, but I am surprised that no-one seems to be doing one. I'm currently running W10 on a 7" tablet which just seems a but silly, especially as pretty much everything I'm running is a Store app...

Apparently they're going to allow up to a 9" screen now for RS:
Microsoft approves 7 inch W10 tablets and 9 inch W10M phones for Redstone - MSPoweruser

I bet you can find one, like someone said, browse some of the websites with far-east-only products, where things like FCC standards are less stringent for the radio implementations.

With all the VOIP options and VoLTE starting to take off (on some carriers anyway, ahem, not mine), I suspect the lines will really start to blur for form-factor differentiation. It's really more philosophical, I guess, than anything. What exactly is a "mobile", at some point?

Marc Guillet

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Its a hybrid version. Desktop or tablet mode with a tap of a button. Table mode looks like a big phone. My understanding is the software is universal. Desktop, table or phone. The OS knows what your running and launches the proper GUI.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The issue is the OEM implementation isn't easy to pass, in terms of what must be "functional" for the Mobile platform.
Section 2 of this document describes what must be met, and tested, to pass.
In particular, some of the radio requirements have to pass other "separate" hurdles, such as FCC reqs. in the US anyway.
It is "optional" for a "non-phone" mobile device though, the LTE/GSM/CDMA/Whatever requirement, so in theory you could build an in-between type of device and run W10m on it.
It's a bit of a tough-sell though, why buy it, instead of a minimal desktop tablet implementation, since mostly you'd just be getting a phone without the ability to call, and less apps? Maybe more battery life, depending.

battery life of surface 2 cant be matched by anything else similar I've seen to this date, and its by a good margin, so ARM clearly has a place for such a device

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
battery life of surface 2 cant be matched by anything else similar I've seen to this date, and its by a good margin, so ARM clearly has a place for such a device

Right, but then you're talking desktop OS, or are you talking about the RT?

My ASUS T100 comes pretty close, maybe 8-9 hours or solid use, running Win10 (Home). In some ways it's similar to this machine anyway, in terms of processor, RAM, and display.

It's an interesting idea though, I wonder if it's a niche, or an actual market?
Towards the end, there seemed to be a struggle to get rid of the RT, almost couldn't give them away, or at least that's my recollection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb