error 8500201d contacts synchr

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I am getting the same error since yesterday after my main Outlook account got migrated into the new Outlook/Live account - in Outlook mail as well as People app where it says 'Needs Attention' and doesn't sync giving this error code.Contact photos had disappeared along with the specific ringtones I had set for my family members' contact numbers.I had to set them again.
Similar error code on both phone and laptop.

Ecurb87

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I received the same error and FB was also not functioning properly. Looking at the sync options for the MS account I noticed the sync toggles for calendar and contacts were gone, so I removed both the MS account and FB app from my device, ATT 950. I added the MS account and reinstalled the FB app. All 3 sync toggles ( email, calendar and contacts) were back. The contacts synced fine in the people app; however, when I synced FB with contacts the error returned. I again removed and added the MS account not syncing the FB contacts because they were still there. The sync error for contacts has not returned since 10am. Fyi, I had to relink the contacts and add the profile pictures again for my contacts, which was time consuming, but in the end the error is gone and contacts are still syncing. This might work for you as well. Good luck.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I received the same error and FB was also not functioning properly. Looking at the sync options for the MS account I noticed the sync toggles for calendar and contacts were gone, so I removed both the MS account and FB app from my device, ATT 950. I added the MS account and reinstalled the FB app. All 3 sync toggles ( email, calendar and contacts) were back. The contacts synced fine in the people app; however, when I synced FB with contacts the error returned. I again removed and added the MS account not syncing the FB contacts because they were still there. The sync error for contacts has not returned since 10am. Fyi, I had to relink the contacts and add the profile pictures again for my contacts, which was time consuming, but in the end the error is gone and contacts are still syncing. This might work for you as well. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion ! :smile:
I removed my MS account from my phone (unlocked 535DS,India) and my laptop ,then added them back again.As in your case,all 3 sync toggles were back and contacts synced flawlessly in People app.Only problem is that I got duplicates and triplicates for the same contact.Since I am not on Facebook so I did not have that problem.I had to link the contacts again along with adding photos and specific ringtones for family members and that took some time.But the error seems to have gone at present and I hope it does not recur again.
I never thought that migrating from old outlook to new MS account by MS would cause such a problem .

Last edited:

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Nope. Doesn?t work. Sync issue message returns after a bit of time....

It is quite some time since I removed and readded my Outlook account.It is still okay on my phone but sync error is back in my laptop.:unhappy:
Went through the process again on my laptop.Let me see what happens !

Last edited:

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Same happened to me. I tried everything to fix it. Talked with Microsoft level 2 as well. Nothing fixed it. One thing to try, if you have a non-Microsoft email address as your primary user in your MS account, switch the primary user to an outlook.com email address. That may get you back into your mail and calendar on the pc, but probably won't fix the phone. I had to create a new MS account and start all over. Switched to a local account on PC and just logged into apps with MS account info when needed and had to do a hard reset on phone and set it up with the new MS account.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Same happened to me. I tried everything to fix it. Talked with Microsoft level 2 as well. Nothing fixed it. One thing to try, if you have a non-Microsoft email address as your primary user in your MS account, switch the primary user to an outlook.com email address. That may get you back into your mail and calendar on the pc, but probably won't fix the phone. I had to create a new MS account and start all over. Switched to a local account on PC and just logged into apps with MS account info when needed and had to do a hard reset on phone and set it up with the new MS account.

I have outlook.com as my primary user in my MS account.
My phone is more or less okay.I am getting the error code on my laptop .

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I have outlook.com as my primary user in my MS account.
My phone is more or less okay.I am getting the error code on my laptop .

Ok. I had the error on every device I tried with.... phone, surface tablet, (2) windows 7 computers, windows 10 computer. I have a couple other suggestions.

1) Create another alias in your MS account, set it as primary, then try your original alias email and calendar again with the second alias set as primary.

Note: if you do this and you log into your laptop with the Microsoft account, it will automatically change your log on to use the new one set to primary. Same on your phone, so it might be best to shut the phone off while doing this and do not log out of computer or reboot. If you can then get into your original alias email and calendar, you can then switch the primary back and see if it continues to work. Honestly though, most likely when you switch the primary back the error will come back. You may have to stick with a new alias.

Also note: MS only allows you to change your primary user back and forth about 3 times in a weeks time, so be careful with this. I had to wait a week before I could switch mine back. Last night I switched it and got into my original MS account email and calendar and people. I then forwarded all my email to my new MS account and then closed the old account.

2) Switch your computer to use a local account, remove the Microsoft account from computer, (under Microsoft account and email/calendar account), reboot, log back in, switch back to using a Microsoft account and enter in your credentials. Try your email/calendar again.

3) Create a new Microsoft account, setup computer with new account, hard reset phone and set it up with new account.

Hopefully MS fixes this bug in their outlook.com upgrade process soon. I'm seeing this same issue reported all over multiple forums. Good luck.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully MS fixes this bug in their outlook.com upgrade process soon. I'm seeing this same issue reported all over multiple forums. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips !
I will try out the alias thing if I find the problem persisting .
I do not want to create a new MS account as I will lose the free 30.5 GB I have on OneDrive as MS now offers only 5 GB free .
I too am hoping that MS fixes this issue soon as it seems to be a widely reported issue with many people getting affected.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing the same thing as my outlook.com account was just migrated. I delete my outlook account from my PC mail and my Lumia 950 mail app, add it again and it starts syncing. But when I restart either device, syncing is screwed up again. MS better push a fix for this soon!

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks like its due to the Outlook.com migration. I was reading that the Windows Phone users were the last ones to be migrated because they required further handling as to not break anything, turned out well! Good job Microsoft.

I've now got this error code on my Lumia 950 XL, all my contact photos have disappeared and the device will no longer sync with my MS account.

Tried deleting my mobile device in Options > General > Mobile Devices and rebooted my phone to try and get it to sync, it gets added back to the devices list and sync time updated, but the error remains on the phone.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my mail still stops syncing after a restart. Also, new today, in my list of contacts in Messaging, only the phone number of some contacts will be displayed. But when I click on it to go into the conversation, their name appears at the top. WTF? This in addition to receiving messages from contacts in a new thread, when one already existed (and all contacts were and have been linked). Something got royally screwed up here. Has anyone seen a reply from MS about this?

pc2k16

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes, my mail still stops syncing after a restart. Also, new today, in my list of contacts in Messaging, only the phone number of some contacts will be displayed. But when I click on it to go into the conversation, their name appears at the top. WTF? This in addition to receiving messages from contacts in a new thread, when one already existed (and all contacts were and have been linked). Something got royally screwed up here. Has anyone seen a reply from MS about this?

I had the same thing. New conversations would start even though there was an existing conversation. I linked the problem to the missing contacts/people. Conversations thinks the text. etc is from a new person since people is no longer syncing as well as email & calendar. When I talked to Microsoft support level 1 and level 2 last week, they didn't even know about the problem (at least the "techs" I talked to didn't know about this issue). I'm not surprised though, it seemed like an India based call center, reading scripts. Shame on MS for using that kind of support.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My contact list in the Messaging app seems to have resolved itself, for now at least. As others have mentioned, there are lots of people complaining of this issue on the MS boards. They're apparently aware of the issue and have it posted here (last line).

"Windows Phone may encounter error 0x8500201D when syncing with Outlook.com email. We are aware of this issue and a fix will be out very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Have the same issue here still. Cannot even sync Office 365 Outlook on Win 10 properly. On my Lumia 950 it just keeps syncing. I tried re-adding the account which also needed several tries to succeed. I have not noticed problems with my contacts, only my Outlook/Mail is messed up by this.
They are aware a couple of days now of the issue, so what the heck is taking so long to fix it ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon